DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Costuming

Barmacral

Any of you folks like to make / wear costumes?

Myself, I'm a historical re-enactor so I've got some military uniforms from the 1812 / American Revolution eras, plus a very basic Pict outfit. I also did a 10th doctor costume for Halloween last year, though it is a poor man's version, I'll do a high quality version someday when I'm less poor. My next costume of interest (for next Halloween next year, this year I don't have any big plans) is to do a Harry Dresden costume, sans hat.

I like to dress up for Renn Fair! I don't own a costume though I had planned on having one made for me this year if we go. I wish we could go every year!

I also love to dress up for Halloween! I like to be scary or mythical or both. I have a very long and very black cloak so every year I do something different underneath. Its fun to dress up and scare kids! HAHAHA!

My son who just turned 13 has decided to be Carl from Walking Dead this year. I have a feeling there is a zombie costume in my near future. 

Thane and I do medieval reenactment. So we have a lot of medieval items, including battle ready weapons <3.

then i have a passion for everything that is steampunk related. So i have a couple of outfits and transformed nerfguns lol

I'd like to see a picture of that American Revolutionary costume, Barm. I love history stuff too!

Sure. Despite being Canadian, we portray Americans in both time periods that we are active in because in Canada very few people like to play the "bad guy". They'd all rather do British impressions. Below is the uniform for the 2nd Connecticut light Infantry at our first ever event in the time period (we started doing Rev War events 6 or 7 years ago now). Over time our uniforms have evolved a bit, we now have leather helmets instead of tricorns and short gaiters instead of tall ones (the black things on my legs). Also shoes are supposed to be black, not brown. That was just a case of I forgot to pack my black ones though. We're also in the process of adding wings (a small white strip of cloth that in no way portrays actual wings) to the shoulders.

BlackCreekamongstotherthings022.jpg

Thane and I do medieval reenactment. So we have a lot of medieval items, including battle ready weapons <3.

then i have a passion for everything that is steampunk related. So i have a couple of outfits and transformed nerfguns lol

Nice! I love Steampunk too but I've never made a costume like that. I think I should!

I'd like to see a picture of that American Revolutionary costume, Barm. I love history stuff too!

Sure. Despite being Canadian, we portray Americans in both time periods that we are active in because in Canada very few people like to play the "bad guy". They'd all rather do British impressions. Below is the uniform for the 2nd Connecticut light Infantry at our first ever event in the time period (we started doing Rev War events 6 or 7 years ago now). Over time our uniforms have evolved a bit, we now have leather helmets instead of tricorns and short gaiters instead of tall ones (the black things on my legs). Also shoes are supposed to be black, not brown. That was just a case of I forgot to pack my black ones though. We're also in the process of adding wings (a small white strip of cloth that in no way portrays actual wings) to the shoulders.

BlackCreekamongstotherthings022.jpg

Love it! Very realistic. 

I wore a Robin Hood costume a couple of weeks ago. I also have a warders cloak that I wear. I also want to do Harry Dresden sometime and eventually want to do Ezio Auditore from Assassins Creed.

Ezio costumes are very cook. I've seen a couple and was impressed.

In Germany, we used to dress up for both Halloween and Fasching.  Back here in the States, though, just Halloween.  I'd love to go to a Renfair someday but there aren't any nearby.  We do have some reenactments in the area but even if I had the time, I wouldn't be able to do any of the fun stuff, like riding in mock battles and such.  They stick pretty strictly to authenticity and as women didn't fight in the cavalry or infantry, I'd be relegated to nursing, etc.  That said, I was fascinated by my visit to Colonial Williamsburg and though how absolutely awesome it would be to live and work there. Dressing in period clothing every day and speaking in period.  One guide there made comments about the funny boxes (cameras and phones and iPads) people kept pointing at her.  LOL!  Maybe after the kids are grown and moved out, hubby and I could do that for a year or so . . .   :smile:

Dar - depends on who you go with. My group has always welcomed women who want to portray soldiers. Hair is fairly easy to hide, a plain black or white bandana over a ponytail, tuck it into the coat if it is long. Even the long haired guys do that. Also the thick wool coats and belting hide the chest fairly well. Shirts are also fairly baggy in those time periods so even dressing down most women who choose to go that way can get by. Easy to pass as a man. Most women (in my experience) do stick with portraying women, but a few certainly like to go out as soldiers.

Rhea - We aim for realism, we want to portray things as accurately as possible, so there is a lot of research that goes into the various patterns for coats and clothes and chairs and anything else from back then. We want you to walk into our camp and feel like you've gone back in time.

I love any excuse to dress up--reenactments (Revolutionary War/Civil War), Ren Faire, going out for a walk, Highland Games, Star Wars, LotR, masquerades...oh, and Halloween. Unfortunately I rarely have time/the talent to sew for myself, but I enjoy putting outfits together, and I can do alterations. Half my closet wouldn't qualify as "modern." I've got steampunk, Victorian, Tudor, Viking, and Medieval things going on, not to mention I'm currently putting together an outfit for a Green Aes Sedai. Unfortunately, with my friends I always have to explain what an Aes Sedai is since most of them have never even heard of the Wheel of Time. *sigh*

Currently working on costumes for my family (parents/siblings) for a dance coming up in November.

I'll take any excuse to dress up. Give me one and i'm there. I have Steampunk, Cosplay, Renfaire, etc etc etc. I currently dress up as Princess Jasmine and visit with kids every so often. I have found through doing costumes that I personally prefer wearing corsets and bodices to bras. LOL So if I have an excuse to get corseted up i'm happy. LOL I should add that I cannot sew as i'm legally blind without my glasses on and with them it's only sligthly better. *laughs* So my mum or the fab Charis Sedai (Green Ajah) make things for me. She's making me a cosplay actually. 

Morrigain from Dragon Age Origins. My mum couldn't figure out how to do the top Morrigain wears so I asked Charis if she knew and she has a good idea. I'm also doing Jade from Mortal Kombat an Miss Fortune from League of Legends. Mostly because my bonded Halli plays League and she told me too. LOL 

Snow white! That must have been awesome. Did the kids love it? When i'm Jasmine I pal around with a Belle and an Ariel and normally the kids like me best which is odd. You'd think because Ariel and Belle are so loved that they'd go for them, but nope. *laughs* Normally I say "these are my friends Ariel and Belle, would you like to hug them" The girls kind of look and then hug me. LOL I actually feel super bad about it. Since it takes awhile to get the Belle into the yellow dress and make up etc. 

Corsets are wonderful! Bodice's are even better because mostly I can lace those myself. *laughs* 

I'm looking for something fairly easy to make to start making my own costumes...any suggestions?

If you wanted to cosplay one of the Characters from Bleach would be pretty easy. Black pants and a black over shirt that you can put a button on the side of to secure the top. Not sure if you've seen the show though. *laughs* Course the only picture of it I could find was the girls but still....it's the same outfit. 

You might try for renfaire just a pirate shirt or a poet's shirt and pants, pants are fairly easy to make. 

Archived