DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Red Ajah] Culture Exchange Month: Interesting things

Panchi

What are the interesting things/ traditions/ festivals/ etc that you like in your culture?

What are the interesting things/ traditions/ festivals/ etc that you like in some other culture?

What are the things you look forward to?

Panchi, I just love going to other's cultural events. One I really enjoyed was African drumming, I have a friend where I used to live and his family is Buddhist and we would go to festivals. I enjoy watching Folklorico dancing.

Different cultures add a richness to life.

I love learning about other peoples, and I think one way to do that is to observe their cultural festivities. Quite often those things are "old-fashioned", though, and don't really reflect that culture as it is now. I think most peoples are in danger of completely losing their unique cultural identities, as we all "globalise".

Well one of the festivials that happen in the city I live in is called Whoop-Up Days. It's where were we celebrate rodeo, the end of summer, local businesses and what makes us Albertan. Also, as far as I know, all the food served during the week is locally grown/raised so we are also supporting our farmers.

When it comes to other cultures, I honestly love their clothing. I don't know why I just do.

I love being able to learn and get to know those around me or halfway across the world :biggrin:

I enjoy going to Native American Pow-Wows. I've only been to a few locally, that are mostly Creek.  I've never been to one to which I have a blood connection (Potawotomi) because of distance. Plus, the SD never got my sister and I added to the rolls (though he certainly made sure my younger half-brothers were). 

At the local Pow-Wows, I've enjoyed the dancing and drumming and the crafts.  I enjoyed talking to the various members about their crafts and the history behind them. 

A few years ago, we met with and spoke with some Shawnee at Fort Boonesborough in Kentucky.  They invited my boys (then very young) into their wigwam and told them the story of Chief Logan (especially after finding out that was the name of my oldest). 

So this is stuff that isn't MY culture (IOW, one that I live) but I do enjoy seeing it and learning about it.

The local Pow-Wow used to be held just down the road from us. We could hear the drumming from our house.  Then they sold that land and bought some in the next county. We haven't made it to a Pow-Wow since.  :sad:  I really enjoyed the crafts and miss being able to check them out 2x/year.

What are the interesting things/ traditions/ festivals/ etc that you like in your culture?

I really enjoy the Red River Revel.  It's an art festival we have around August/September every year.  There's lots of food, music, people, activities for kids that adults enjoy for nostalgia, and it's all next to the Red River.  Oh, and, of course there are lots of artist stands.  People from all over the south, but mostly from Louisiana, come by the sell their art and crafts.

I kinda have a love/hate relationship with Mardi Gras.  I love the tradition and the being-together-with-family-and-friends thing, but I HATE the crowds at the parades.

What are the interesting things/ traditions/ festivals/ etc that you like in some other culture?

I would love to attend a Tanabata festival.  It always looked so fun, and I love the legend behind it.

Sharing in tradition and being with loved ones.  The food's not bad, either.  :)

I definitely enjoy going to/watching other cultural events. Due to the melting pot that is the USA, and the 'mutt'ness :laugh: that is my background, I don't particularly feel that I have much of a culture. I know that probably sounds weird. Despite my Irish and English background, we've never participated in anything that connects me to those cultures.

Though I suppose some of our holidays might count? Not sure.

However, when I was an undergrad in college, I was elected to be the Direct of Student Affairs on our Student Government Board. Huge responsibility! I was essentially representing all of the student groups at all the Govt. Board meetings, adn then whenever we met with College Administration. One of my duties was to plan and execute the Multi-Cultural Dinner each semester. I LOVED it! It exposed me to so much that I had never seen before.

Some of my favorite memories:

The food was always incredible! So many plates I had never had before; each organization was in charge of a dish and then we had a buffet style.

I loved the Bhangra dancing that our South Asian group (Shakti) put on. My first semester planning the dinner was the first time they were going to perform in public. I put them as the show closer and they BROUGHT THE HOUSE DOWN! They were amazing!

Our Black Student Union (BSU) performed a Step Dance routine the second semester as the show closer and they were also astounding!

We had a Native American storyteller that opened the show the first semester I did it, and he was spectacular. Definitely transported me out of my seat in the ballroom and into the story. I am uber jealous of his skills and presence :).

I know I just used a ton of adjectives, but it was one of the best experiences of my life, for sure, and I will always treasure it.

That sounds absolutely wonderful, Key! Maybe we should have a recipe exchange here :)

Once in primary school we performed folk songs from all the various cultures where our pupils and teachers came from. I loved learning the songs in the various languages! I think that's where my love of languages came from. Something like that also expands ones horizons and opens up whole new worlds in ones own mind.

I've never been much into my own cultural traditions. Probably because it's not clear what my cultural background is. And I'm not very much into most aspects of any culture for its own sake. Probably for the same reason.

What I do love from every culture is the food. And in the end, as society homogenizes, the things that will survive of various unique cultures

The longest, IMO, are going to be the flavors.

Because everybody eats and trying new tastes never gets old.

• 2 weeks later...

Man I wish I had the time to be active earlier. This entire thing is awesome.

My family is Hindu, so we have a ton of traditions. My favorite has to be the festival of Navratri, which is coming up soon. It's celebrated quite differently in different parts of India, but I'm biased and think that we (Gujratis) do it the best. :p

Navratri means "nine nights", and we dance every single night. Or we have the option to. Usually, I go on Friday/Saturday and have a blast (and Yelenia comes with me). We get to dress up in traditional clothes and then spend a few hours doing folk dancing.

Everything? It's hard to pick. Mostly I just love to see what they do, what the meaning behind the traditions is, what kind of food they eat, etc. My family loves to travel, so going to different places and doing the full cultural immersion thing has become something that I really look forward to.

FOOD. More than the food, the desserts. A trip to India can mean gaining 10lbs in a week because I just eat all of the desserts I can get my hands on.

• Elgee locked this topic

Archived