DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Forsaken Reborn?

mrandall0314

I recall somewhere telling that soul enters body at the fetus stage of pregnancy.  from my understanding, all pregnancies are "full term".

Or are you asking about frequency of rebirths?  since non-channelers have shorter life-spans than channelers, non-channelers would potentially be reborn more frequently than channelers.  linked souls I take would have equal frequency of rebirths; even if one of them is a channeler and the other a non-channeler.

The only ones really that have set rebirths are Rand and the Heros of the Horn.  They all exist in the world of dreams between lives.  That is how Artur Hawkwing and the other heros recognized Rand when Mat called them with the horn at Falme.  He had lived with them for thousands upon thousands of years, being reborn into the world when ever the Pattern needed the Chosen of Light to be born, returning to the world of dreams whenever he died.  I think that Mat and Perrin actually may be linked to Rand in this same way.  They may be set to always be reborn with him.  It would explain why they were all linked. 

The name Forsaken, I believe was chosen by the followers of the light.  It's not used by the Shadow.  They call themselves Chosen, because the Dark One specifically chose to make them His generals because they were the most powerful Dreadlords.  They are different from other Dreadlords because they are directly linked to the Dark One, and can directly tap into his power, known the the True Power.  So, comparing them to normal Dreadlords, and saying that other Dreadlords just chose to use a different name is wrong.  They are much different. 

The name Forsaken, I believe was chosen by the followers of the light.  It's not used by the Shadow.  They call themselves Chosen, because the Dark One specifically chose to make them His generals because they were the most powerful Dreadlords.  They are different from other Dreadlords because they are directly linked to the Dark One, and can directly tap into his power, known the the True Power.  So, comparing them to normal Dreadlords, and saying that other Dreadlords just chose to use a different name is wrong.  They are much different. 

...Or you could read the RJ quote I already posted that says that all of the Shadow's channelers in the War of the Power were Chosen/Forsaken, and which clarifies the distinction between them and Dreadlords.

The only ones really that have set rebirths are Rand and the Heros of the Horn. 

Not true. Ishy's soul for one is often linked with the Dragon soul in that they are spun out much like Birgitte and Gaidal.

Has this been confirmed by Jordon or his collaborators?

I know that Ishamael believed that he had forever been involved in the confrontation with the Dragon.  But I always read that as being a sign of his madness (which I believe he was driven too by his own dispair and use of the True Power), and arrogance.  Rand said that the Dark One would never let his soul go, not him, his favoured champion, but I wonder what control the Dark One can have over souls now that he has been sealed away again.  Nor do I think that the Pattern would purposely spin out an anti-Dragon, as it were.  The Pattern is all about balance, and that's what Rand provides as a ta'veren.  He is not "all Light", thus forcing the Pattern to spin out one that is "all Shadow".  Yes, at the end Rand's ta'veren nature began only to spin the Pattern towards the "good" side, but as he explained, that was in response to the Dark One's touching the Pattern.  The Dark One was causing enough evil as it was, that Rand became the focal point of the Pattern's re-balancing of Creation.

Furthermore, I believe that a purposely spun out Champion of the Shadow would be contradictory to the nature of free will in the universe.  As I said above, I believe there's no need for an anti-Dragon to balance Lews Therin/Rand al'Thor because of the Dragon's own nature being a balance of good and bad.  But to say that there's always a person purposely spun out to stand in contradiction to the Dragon would be to say that the Pattern purposefully puts a soul in a position of being evil, thus not giving them a choice.

The only ones really that have set rebirths are Rand and the Heros of the Horn. 

Not true. Ishy's soul for one is often linked with the Dragon soul in that they are spun out much like Birgitte and Gaidal.

Has this been confirmed by Jordon or his collaborators?

Yes.

INTERVIEW: 2011

Twitter 2011 (WoT) (Verbatim)
ANDREW J. PARKER (25 APRIL 2011)
Can you settle a debate? Will Rand's soul be the Light's champion in every Age, or could it ever be someone else?
BRANDON SANDERSON (25 APRIL 2011)
I believe that Ishamael implies in the books he and Lews Therin have fought thousands of times.
BRANDON SANDERSON
So at least one major character seems to believe it's always Rand. Whether he's right or not is another question.
FOOTNOTE
Brandon is reported as having said on tour that Ishamael's and Rand's souls are often woven together in the Pattern, somewhat like Birgitte and Gaidal.

Barid had a good post touching on this a while back.

Clu7ch: There is a quote that says Rand and Ishamael's souls are linked. However, it is ambigous. They are indeed linked, and often spun out together - however, the nature of their relationship in each turning is not specified. While the obvious assumption is that they are spun out each time as the Dragon and his Shadow counter, it may not be the case. They may work together in some turnings. We know their souls aren't good and evil by default - Ishamael's soul isn't permanently evil. Evidence of this being that the Dragon has turned to the Shadow in some turnings of the wheel. It may be that in another, Ishamael's soul is a force for the Light.

You are right about the errors in the BWB Mr Ares, thought I read somewhere that some of the mistakes were intentional and some of the mistakes in the BWB were unintentional. Is that true?

Barid did have a good post about LTT and Ishy, because I agree BS quote on the two was rather an answer you would expect from a politician, one that seems to answer the question without really answering it.  I do feel sorry for BS on some of this as I am sure on some of this stuff he is just as confused and unsure as the readers.

Archived