DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Stop Thief!

Orderofolde

Ever notice some glaringly obvious thefts of RJ's work? I was watching season two of once upon a time and between the wolf stuff with red and the dreamworlds of passing messages between two dreamers it was pretty obvious. One thing is coincidence but four things in two episodes that specific? A raven used for doing evil woman's bidding? Come on!

I thought I should list the specifics:

1. Arm in RL life gets burned from dream

2. Communicating between parties by using dream world and meeting times

3. Red is taught to embrace the wolf as Perrin eventually learns in order to control it though she needs five minutes not five books

4. Raven is used by queen to find snow and to deliver message so some GRRM too

I had a few things stand out before earlier on but this is one after the other. Sword of Truth is one thing where an attempt was made to make the ideas theirs but this is ridiculous

Hey Ordero, that's quite a list.. I'm impressed you noticed.. and now u've mentioned it. Yes to all of it.. it never occurred to me before coz i watched Once upon a time last year and read the books this year. In their defence however they've used almost all known fairy tales and works of fiction in the serie and made a imho successful serie. 

I must say though that almost everything I see these days reminds me of WOT :)

by theft I guess you mean plagiarism.

I am not so sure about Once Upon a Time being plagiarism of this series.

-the plot of all episodes have been significantly different from any scene in this series.

-the characters of both seem significantly different in both behavior and physical appearance; also in their names.

-the place settings of both seem significantly different; maybe also time settings.

the primary source for the show's content I take to be fairy tales.  Not sure if the writers or director intended similarities with other sources.

Not sure if any of the show's staff read any portion of this series.

Hey Ordero, that's quite a list.. I'm impressed you noticed.. and now u've mentioned it. Yes to all of it.. it never occurred to me before coz i watched Once upon a time last year and read the books this year. In their defence however they've used almost all known fairy tales and works of fiction in the serie and made a imho successful serie. 

I must say though that almost everything I see these days reminds me of WOT :)

It is true, they have used every story and fairy tail that isn't boldly proprietary

by theft I guess you mean plagiarism.

I am not so sure about Once Upon a Time being plagiarism of this series.

-the plot of all episodes have been significantly different from any scene in this series.

-the characters of both seem significantly different in both behavior and physical appearance; also in their names.

-the place settings of both seem significantly different; maybe also time settings.

the primary source for the show's content I take to be fairy tales.  Not sure if the writers or director intended similarities with other sources.

Not sure if any of the show's staff read any portion of this series.

Perhaps "theft" is a little too bold a term.  I suppose that I am more surprised that it was used.  Despite our best wishes, WOT does not have much exposure as compared to other series.  I don't know if it is being kept in someone's back pocket for a later reveal as far as exposure and movies/tv show but it is every bit as large as Tolkein.  RJ never got a fair shake.  I suppose it was surprising to find his Ideas that were original to the series being used and so many in just two episodes.

"Child of the Moon" and "Into the Deep"?

about wolves, with Red it is lycanthropy; with Perrin, communication.  lycanthropy seems to be the older of these two.

about ravens, many stories have them; and in some, they are servants of an evil-doer.  Disney's version of Sleeping Beauty seems to be one of the later.

a telaranrhiod like state, I have not yet encountered in older fiction; but there might be some chance of parts of it being older than this series.

True, much of what RJ used was mythology and old or modern twisting of things, stories in which like recycled and faded threads he masterfully wove into a Tolkein-like story because he hated the beginning of Tolkein and wasn't convinced that Hobbits/villagers would simply agree and go haring off on an adventure on the words of some wise old wizard telling them, "You are the one.  You are the savior" now go forth and fix things.  

There were some specific things said in Child of the Moon that smacks of WOT not just Lycan lore.  Almost exact quotes where she learns to embrace the wolf in five minutes learning lessons it took poor Perrin years to learn.  And it is wolf, not werewolf in all but the timing of the turning during a full moon which is done away with as they can shift shape whenever at the drop of a hat.  It was more about the fear of killing, not once was eating their prey mentioned that I can recall.

I know the collars and such and the evil women that use magic in SOT along with prophesies, but would TOR still publish both Authors if anything was questionable?  And RJ's name appeared on the copyright of one of Goodkind's books before it was quickly recalled and redone.  Maybe there is more going on behind the scenes at TOR?  It seems that SOT was far more popular than WOT where it got two seasons on TV and RJ's rights were blundered by Red Eagle.  It lost popularity for the repeat separation between its two main characters and angled off on some tangent as if intentionally steering clear of anything resembling RJ's work.  That was my take on it the last time I bothered reading any of the later books.

Archived