DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

After 34 years I have FINALLY found another fantasy epic.....

...to proudly sit next to my Tolkien masterworks on my bookself.    \o/

Hello everybody.

Actually I have not really tried all that much. I gave Moorcock's Elric series a go, and found that OK. Then I tried out the Howard/De Camp/Carter Conan books and found them a bit better(though Howard's written parts were outstanding). Then I tried Burroughs John Carter of Mars, which I found a huge step backward. So I pretty much gave up on the genre completely, only re-reading my Tolkien books periodically, or watching some new fantasy movie that hit the theaters. Bookwise, I was just mostly sticking to some Sci-Fi and historical non-fiction reading.

So a little over a year ago while I was reading a thread over on Blu-ray.com, I was going through a thread titled- 'Books that should be made into movies'.  Naturally Jordan's 'Wheel of Time' was brought up by some of the posters there that had read it. After hearing their high recommendations of this series, I played a hunch, took a bold move, and went ahead and purchesed the first three books set of the series. Not just the one book, but the first three, which is a VERY unusual thing for me to do with something that I am not familiar with. And that in itself turned out to be very fortuitous, as after reading the first two WoT books, they were not ringing my bells, so to speak. So I was about halfway through the 3rd book (TDR), when started thinking to myself that when I finished it, I would just give up on it and go on to something else.

However.........

It was right then about halfway through that third book that for me, the story started to get very very interesting and hard to put down. I would guess that it would be right when Perrin meets Gaul and the Falcon. From then on I noticed that it seemed that Mr Jordan's writing and prose was getting a lot more better than from the first two books. So after finishing it, I decided to go ahead and read the fourth book(TSR), which ended up being one of my favorite books of all-time! Glad that I picked up the 3 book set instead of buying one at a time, or I would never have made it past the 2nd book. From then on I fell in love with continuing stories and characters, and more importantly...Mr Jordan's writing style.

So big thank you to Mr Jordan and the rest of his team for creating a fantastic fantasy series that I will keep re-reading as long as I can breathe.

But what I wouldn't give to be able to partially wipe my memory, and start a fresh read of this magnificent epic story.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to DM and glad to hear you enjoyed the books so much,

In addition to our discussions be sure and check out our social groups to see if you might enjoy joining any. (Join as many as you'd like)

If you have questions about The Black Tower, home of Spam and Madness, I should be able to answer them (I'm Logain, leader of the light faction).

If you have questions about The Band of the Red Hand, home of music, travel, drinks & eating out, I should also be able to answer them (I'm leader of the Archers).

Unfortunately I can't offer much help answering questions about our other Social Groups but I'm sure if you have any and post them here someone will be able to answer them for you.

Thanks for the welcomes.

BTW. My favorite characters are-- Faile, Nynaeve(love girls with spunk and sass). Then Perrin and Rand.

Just to warn you, a lot of people hate Faile, and will think you are crazy for liking her. (I actually do like her, though)

Thanks for the welcomes.

BTW. My favorite characters are-- Faile, Nynaeve(love girls with spunk and sass). Then Perrin and Rand.

Lots of people don't like Egwene either. It's all good.

welcome to dm cosmic chapion. lol i was sort of the oposite - WoT, after the first several books when the writing and plot started beating dead horses, sort of made me give up on fantasy altogether. this site can be fun though - if you are interested in nature/outdoors and having good time with relaxed people, come check out the wolfkin social group sometime.

• 1 month later...

Archived