DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Atlantic Hurricane Season

Well its that time of year again. In the old days I used to post an oddly informative tracker of all hurricanes and tropical systems. This year I plan to bring that back...with a preparation guide. There will be pictures. Because pictures are important!

I just have to draw them first <.<

Well its that time of year again. In the old days I used to post an oddly informative tracker of all hurricanes and tropical systems. This year I plan to bring that back...with a preparation guide. There will be pictures. Because pictures are important!

I just have to draw them first <.<

I love this idea.

I remember one hurricane season, someone posted a cartoon of Florida hiding up by North and South Dakota (I think) saying "Let me know when it's over!"

Of course, I feel like that pretty much the entire months of July and August due to the heat and humidity more than the hurricanes.  Hurricanes are hit and miss; heat and humidity is every year!  :laugh:

caddy%20hurricane%20confident.jpg

Well then, let us begin. 

The Atlantic Hurricane season is upon us, and it runs from June 1st to November 30th. Which as you all will learn is only three days longer than how long I am mad at anyone who steals MY COOKIES.

Now for those who are uninitiated in what a hurricane is. I have created an image that I think sums this up fairly clearly.

hurricane%20stompy.jpg

A hurricane is the final form of a tropical cyclone which is a rapidly rotating storm system that has a low pressure center, strong winds, and thunder clouds that spiral around it. They always dump a great deal of rain and consistently cause flooding and the formation of minor tornadoes (EF-0 and EF-1) is not uncommon within a hurricane. The term describing a tropical cyclone changes based on features and wind speed. All hurricanes begin as a tropical depression, which then can solidify into a tropical storm (upon which a storm earns its name) and then a Hurricane. They are large storms, usually between 62 and 2,400 miles in diameter! That's bigger than the ego of a Whitecloak O_O If one could measure such things of course...

Tropical Depressions become tropical storms when the wind speed near the eye reaches between 35 and 54 mph. At 55 mph the storm becomes known as a category 1 hurricane. The following describes the categories based on wind speeds

Cat1: 55- 83 mph

Cat2: 84-96 mph

Cat3: 97-113 mph

Cat4: 114-137 mph

Cat5: > 140 mph   <------ Now that's what I call an industrial strength hair dryer!

sapceballs1296577592.jpg

Stay Tuned for the next installment - hurricane safety!

caddy%20hurricane%20confident.jpg

So lesson 2 is about how to properly prepare for a hurricane. Now even though there is humor involved - please note that these recommendations are REAL. Except for any mentioning of Unicorn Meat...and or Fluffins (fluffy muffins). You really don't need those...ever.

Pre-Hurricane Planning Phase Mark 1

Allrighty then, so you stuck it out through the first lesson, and now we get to the meat and potatoes of Hurricane safety - preparation. The east and west coasts of...well...just about anywhere are susceptible to Hurricanes (Or typhoons / cyclones for those rebels who don't want to call it a Hurricane ^_-), and even tropical storms and depressions can cause serious damage to the infrastructure of the places we call home. So please - always over prepare! There really is no good reason not to, the supplies and techniques listed will actually be useful even if said storm decides that it doesn't like you anymore and goes to find another friend (Storms are fickle like that, they change directions as fast as we greens can sniff out a potential bondie)

So it is before a hurricane - heck there is just a silly little wind blowing off the coast of Africa. But you are smart - super smart. You already know that that very wind is a big factor in the creation of a hurricane. So you decide to check your supplies. You again - are so smart...why are you even reading my post? Go do something fun...like making marshmallows or some tasty smoked ham - you rebel you! But assuming you are bored you check on your supplies. FEMA recommends the following as an emergency supply to help get you through the worst of it.

HURRICANE SUPPLY CACHE

Water - (the kind you did not just channel into existence) 1 gallon per person per day in an amount sufficient to last for 3 days. You will drink this and keep for sanitation purposes.

Food - A three day supply of non perishable food. 

NOAA radio - Battery powered or hand cranked for MAXIMUM POWAH - oh and to get updates...that too.

Flashlight and extra batteries - Batteries again? Who are we? Donald Trump? Those things are like...expensive. They aren't? Oh...ok. 

First Aid kit - A legit one...not that piece of junk your car has.

Whistle - For signalling for help, or a rave. Please use responsibly with the flashlight.

Dust Mask - Really? REALLY? Ok i guess it could be helpful if the hurricane is made of dust bunnies. Clean your houses better people!

Moist Towelettes, Garbage bags, Plastic ties - Sanitation and to keep your bum minty fresh. No use being rescued if you aren't Minty. God Im such a Green...

Wrench or Pliers to shut off utilities - This is why we bond with men... I'm still unbonded...any takers? *smirk*

Can opener for food - If you had cans in your food supply you might need this... they still come in the hand cranked variety so GET THAT KIND.

Local maps - Ok this one I question...you LIVE locally...if the hurricane was so bad that you need a map...there are bigger issues at hand.

BONUS LEVEL SUPPLIES!

Meds and glasses

Baby formula and diapers

Pet food and Water (Or wa-wa as I say to my cat... do not judge)

Important Docs

Cash or travelers checks 

Sleeping bags or warm bedding for each person

A complete change of clothing appropriate to your region.

Household chlorine bleach and a medicine dropper (can create a disinfectant or even treat water in a pinch)

Fire extinguisher (You should already own one)

Waterproof matches

Feminine supplies 

Mess kits (thats supplies for eating..like forks)

Paper and Pencil 

Activities for keeping you and everyone else from freaking out.

Pre-Hurricane Planning Phase Mark Deaux

Now get thy castle prepared to repel invaders! Or more importantly... secure the home against the damaging winds. In terms of strength lets go with what you can do. Please note if you have Impact Windows already right on ya...saving energy and your house. Woo!

Tape - ok you can tape a window to minimize harmful shattering but is otherwise worthless.

Plywood boards - actually a legit form of safety. Better than nothing and while serious debris can easily blast through the odds of that are not all that high.

Shutters - The most common form of protection. Some you just screw into pre mounted holes (strong but difficult to install and remove as they form a solid piece. Others like accordion shutters slide together on a pre mounted track. Easy to use. And then theres auto shutters which electronically raise and lower.

Shade - a new technology that is a high tensile fabric claiming the same level of protection as shutters but is light and allows light to pass through.

Ready your fridge - odds are you may lose power. Your fridge should hold suitable temp for about 4 hours. Eat this FIRST! Drink these FIRST (if its perishable like milk... sodas and water can be safely drank warm so no worries!) Now once the temp in the fridge rises over 40F perishables can last 2 additional hours before you should toss it. (note that some perishables can last longer but this is a solid guideline. Check specifics about your individual foods)

Ready thy Freezer! - A full freezer will hold temp for 48 hrs - half full it halves to 24 ... and you can stretch it a little by playing with your food and making igloos out of it. Seriously. Igloos. 

Remember 40F - if food stays below that it can be safely re-frozen or re-refrigerated. 

Next update - staying safe during the hurricane AND the map of our most recent hurricane's journey! 

By the way you probably thought there was going to be a reference to Unicorn Meat or Fluffins somewhere after I called them out. But there wasn't. I fooled you all! MWA HA HA *cough*

Just want to check something ... when you say :

BONUS LEVEL SUPPLIES!

Important Docs

Do you mean documents, or doctors? 'Cause if there's a hurricane or something on the way, I'll keep even an unimportant doctor in the basement *angel face*

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it got worthless real quick so I'mma take my sweet time. The theme this year is pac - man so my tracking maps will use the yellow pill eater as the icon :)

Since im basically ignoring the current storm I wanted to show the miniature of my  PAST TRAX map I will be making after each :). The official one is bigger-ish

past%20maps%20small.jpg

Archived