DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How Much Food Can You Buy for $5 Around the World?

Ryrin

i thinkk the video made thinngs more confusing in term of food economy. didnnt take into account that some crops/staplles might be grown moer in an area or have lesss taxes/tariffs on it or may be cheapp gmo crap in one cuontry but mostly natural in another and all that combine need be taken into account abuot how they are valuedd different. also lik cindy pointed out have tio take into accuont how much is the us dollar worthh in the diferent countries - reason why yuo can probablly buy so much beer in china fior only five dollars mght be combination of bothh the beer being a reallly terrblle qualiy besides that the dollar worth lot more there. i know fior example that at lest in lot of parts of america iv seen, big macs are the mostt disgustinng procesed heap of trash you cuold lay eyes while ovre here, whil still kind of nastyy, it at least pass for food and so as mention, quality of compared item in differennt cuontries can also determine price.

Many people around the world try to survive on less than $1.00 US dollar a day. Food insecurity exists when people lack sustainable physical or economic access to safe nutritious and socially acceptable food for a healthy and productive life.

What is food insecurity like in your area?

image_zpsfaeafdac.jpg

When I'm being good about it, I keep to a $20 grocery bill. Five dollars can go a ways if you're smart.

$1.30 - 2 pound bag of rice

.97 - red beans (I think at this price, it's 1 lb)

$1.15 - dozen eggs

$1.35 - 1 lb bag of tortillas or 1 loaf of bread

That comes up to less than $5 and I can live off that for a week without much discomfort ( but I can guarantee you will never become obese on that diet.) Now, granted, I can live off that ib a wealthy, first world nation with steady employment and a low level of social violence and we have an extensive welfare safety net, so I really don't have to worry about starving or fighting for my next meal. So I'm always eternally grateful for whatever I can afford each week.

At some point, I 'll share my next $20 grocery bill, which is my shopping list for the month. My cats eat more than I do. O.o

I haven't seen a dozen eggs under $2 in a year...

I think it's a regional thing. My cost of living is more expensive an hour north in a major urban center but cheaper the farther I get from "modern" Colorado. We have an ongoing cultural feud betwern north and south here. Anything south of Colorado Springs is pidunkville and anybody who isn't Denver is slime.

I'll take affordability over social status any day.

When I'm being good about it, I keep to a $20 grocery bill. Five dollars can go a ways if you're smart.

$1.30 - 2 pound bag of rice

.97 - red beans (I think at this price, it's 1 lb)

$1.15 - dozen eggs

$1.35 - 1 lb bag of tortillas or 1 loaf of bread

That comes up to less than $5 and I can live off that for a week without much discomfort ( but I can guarantee you will never become obese on that diet.) Now, granted, I can live off that ib a wealthy, first world nation with steady employment and a low level of social violence and we have an extensive welfare safety net, so I really don't have to worry about starving or fighting for my next meal. So I'm always eternally grateful for whatever I can afford each week.

At some point, I 'll share my next $20 grocery bill, which is my shopping list for the month. My cats eat more than I do. O.o

With that  amount of carbs, I'd resemble a whale in a week.

Archived