DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Little Game of Thrones Info, If You Please!

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I hate the guy who wrote 'A Game of Thrones'. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the book, but I hate the author for putting me through this. 

Jak .. .and remember ... JAIME IS MINE !!!!

You can have him. No one likes that... things I shouldn't say on DM.  :tongue:

So avoiding all the stuff above (spoilers?).... but just saw my very first episode tonight. First impression: decent. Not great, but decent. Too explicit for my tastes, but I appreciate several aspects as well. One thing I love is that anyone is fair game... I always loves stories where no one is safe, even if the actor has a contract.

So avoiding all the stuff above (spoilers?).... but just saw my very first episode tonight. First impression: decent. Not great, but decent. Too explicit for my tastes, but I appreciate several aspects as well. One thing I love is that anyone is fair game... I always loves stories where no one is safe, even if the actor has a contract.

Personally,  I do not think I'd like the TV show if I hadn't read the books. There is so much missing information, plot, and character building that the TV show just leaves out. It makes the show feel a bit empty, imho. That said, If I hadn't read the books, I wouldn't know that anything was missing. Either way, I'm solidly behind the books. I could live without the TV show, even one that is done as well as this is.

Personally,  I do not think I'd like the TV show if I hadn't read the books. There is so much missing information, plot, and character building that the TV show just leaves out. It makes the show feel a bit empty, imho. That said, If I hadn't read the books, I wouldn't know that anything was missing. Either way, I'm solidly behind the books. I could live without the TV show, even one that is done as well as this is.

You don't need to worry about first book spoilers for me. I finished it yesterday. I worry though, I'm already attached to many characters and I'm afraid that he'll kill them off.  :sad:

I think the weakest book is book 4. Books 4 and 5 were meant to be the same book (happening concurrently), but it had to be split into two separate books. GRRM did this by making one book a certain set of characters, and the other another set of characters. And for some reason, the most anticipated stories ended on in one book and not in the other. Relatively speaking, naturally. I didn't mind personally but it threw a lot of people off when they didn't see their favorite character(s) in book 4 at all... and had to wait years for the book that contained those characters.

• 1 month later...

I finished Book 4 two days ago. Personally, I think the second is the worst. Third is my favorite even though it's depressing.

I'm going to start book 5 tomorrow, and am excited to read about Jon Snow again! (He's my absolute favorite.)

I think this is my third favorite series, after Wheel of Time and Malazan.

Ok, now I'm done with book 5 and am really sad (but I won't give any spoilers why)

I just started book 4... meaning I started day before yesterday and am halfway through it. My favorite characters are Tyrion Lannister (my no. 1 favorite, the rest in no particular order), John Snow, Arya Stark, The Hound, Jaime Lannister, Daenerys........ (there are some more that I like as well, but these are my favorites)

I still can't believe that I'm starting to like Jaime Lannister. I HATED him for pushing Bran but he's... redeemable. That, to me, is remarkable. I will always hate Cersei, though. 

*Reminisces* 

Jak .. .and remember ... JAIME IS MINE !!!!

You can have him. No one likes that... things I shouldn't say on DM.   :tongue:

Hahaha ^   :laugh:

So glad you're enjoying it even though you were a little hesitant to begin, Jak - and totally agree with you about Jaime being redeemable, even if Chae did lay claim to his redeemable self first  :biggrin:

... Reminds me I need to get on with finishing the books available... have been stalled on Feast for Crows for waaaaaaayy too long... 

Nice to see other people discovering the books. This is by far my favourite fantasy series. It's way above WoT in my opinion for sheer gritty realism. Having said that, it's rather like marmite. People either love it or hate it and I know a few who really haven't managed to take to the series. It's worth bearing in mind when talking about all the deaths that GRRM doesn't consider that he has killed off any main characters. The ones who actually matter to his storyline are all still alive. Worth thinking that over to appreciate just who is important. The TV series is good but nothing compared to the books and glad I read them first.

In terms of favourite characters, probably Arya and Tyrion but I also find some of the secondary ones fascinating... Varys, Davros and Brienne for example. Really need to get time to read Book 5. Had it since it was published but it's still untouched. I got slightly sidetracked reading the Malazan series (which is also epic).

OMG how could u not have read book 5 ?????

Tay !!!

*scowls*

*Shakes in her shiny shin-pads and imagines the horrors of possible punishment after breaking Band Law, including having to dig up latrines for the Infantry during 6 months*

Ok, now I'm done with book 5 and am really sad (but I won't give any spoilers why)

I just started book 4... meaning I started day before yesterday and am halfway through it. My favorite characters are Tyrion Lannister (my no. 1 favorite, the rest in no particular order), John Snow, Arya Stark, The Hound, Jaime Lannister, Daenerys........ (there are some more that I like as well, but these are my favorites)

I still can't believe that I'm starting to like Jaime Lannister. I HATED him for pushing Bran but he's... redeemable. That, to me, is remarkable. I will always hate Cersei, though.

Yeah, Jaime Lannister is becoming much better. I still haven't forgave him for pushing Bran, yet. Jon Snow is my favorite character. I also like Arya, Tyrion, Bran, Dany, and Brienne a lot.

Nice to see other people discovering the books. This is by far my favourite fantasy series. It's way above WoT in my opinion for sheer gritty realism. Having said that, it's rather like marmite. People either love it or hate it and I know a few who really haven't managed to take to the series. It's worth bearing in mind when talking about all the deaths that GRRM doesn't consider that he has killed off any main characters. The ones who actually matter to his storyline are all still alive. Worth thinking that over to appreciate just who is important. The TV series is good but nothing compared to the books and glad I read them first.

In terms of favourite characters, probably Arya and Tyrion but I also find some of the secondary ones fascinating... Varys, Davros and Brienne for example. Really need to get time to read Book 5. Had it since it was published but it's still untouched. I got slightly sidetracked reading the Malazan series (which is also epic).

Book 5 is amazing. Go read it. Even though Malazan is also really awesome (I've only read the first 2 though...)

Archived