DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Little Game of Thrones Info, If You Please!

Hi everyone,

I am almost done with my Tolkien reread and I need something else to read after. I am considering ASOIAF. Now admittedly, I know next to nothing about GoT. The little I know suggests that maybe it's not a good choice. BUT, people on DM who I love and respect tell me they really like it. Some, like Chae, like it even more than WoT. But before I go for it, I need some info. 

1. I gather that it is about different houses and people vying to sit on the sword-throne. From what i've seen and heard, everyone will go to ANY lengths to get the throne. Even immoral/evil choices and actions. My question is: Is it really like that? Is everyone a scum-bag? Is there anyone worth rooting for? Is anyone good? Or are some just less evil or nasty than others?

2. Just how much sex and stuff is there? I read an episode rating guide for the TV show and it was mentioning copious amounts of sex, incest, rape and God knows what else. I just want to know the exact quantity and detail that the author goes into cuz that with effect my decision. I'm fine with a bit of that stuff, but if there is too much, I might not like it as much. 

Thanks a lot! 

1. There are a lot of people worth rooting for, and one of the best things about it are how some of the characters are redeemed. I don't want to say more, cos spoilers, and you really don't want to be spoiled for this.

2. They added sex for the TV show, although I haven't seen that. There is sex in the books, but from memory, it's been a couple of hears since read them, it's mostly from a few characters. There are also loving, successful relationships.

Not knowing how much is too much. Not sure if I can recommend it or not, personally I love it. Possibly more than WoT.

1. There are a lot of people worth rooting for, and one of the best things about it are how some of the characters are redeemed. I don't want to say more, cos spoilers, and you really don't want to be spoiled for this.

2. They added sex for the TV show, although I haven't seen that. There is sex in the books, but from memory, it's been a couple of hears since read them, it's mostly from a few characters. There are also loving, successful relationships.

Not knowing how much is too much. Not sure if I can recommend it or not, personally I love it. Possibly more than WoT.

Yeah, you're right, I don't want any spoilers, I just wanted to know if it's worth the read. Yeah, I was told that there's is like a sex scene every hundred pages. Does he go into a lot of detail? Cuz that COULD get nasty. 

*Agrees with BFG, and Chae, and Dors*

I am stalled in the GoT series at the moment due to hectic RL, but honestly, if you have the time, I would definitely recommend that you do try it. I don't think the sex scenes are too frequent or graphic at all (at least nothing's standing out in my memory thus far) and there are definitely characters worth rooting for (not everyone's a completely evil scumbag, mostly everyone's just a different shade of ... human... with relevant experiences and motivation). In fact, I don't think I've read something where the characters and threads of the plot-line are so perfectly imperfect -real/humanly flawed and subsequently, affected- for a very long time...

Try the entire first book, and then decide..?

Yeah, you should try the first book and see. The others are pretty much in line with that in terms of graphic content or sex scenes.

It is indeed awesome - I like that there is no pure good or pure evil but mostly everyone is a shade of grey. Some tilt more towards one side. But, that's what makes books interesting, right?

It's a very well written and engaging tale with a replete foundational back-history almost equivalent to the Silmarillion in scale. My only problem with it is that I cut my teeth on heroic fantasy of the Verne, Burroughs, Doc Smith, Tolkien, Lovecraft, DeCamp. Howard, Heinlein.  There is a certain bargain one makes with the author when one picks up a book to read.  To state it bluntly, when I am introduced to a character that is obviously the main POV... I want that person to live to the end, or at least carry through the story and die heroically at the climax. I recognize that this limitation in the style of writing I enjoy is entirely a problem of my own. I'm fixated on the "heroic cycle" form of tale. George breaks all the rules. You can never allow yourself to become too attached to any character because they may very well, (and some do) die horribly and uselessly and it rips into your heartstrings something awful. On the other hand... you really cannot ever think you know what's going to happen. George delights in misdirection and unforseen events. So there will be surprises for you! If you like a story that careens wildly from character to character, with no guarantees for any of them.... a story that delves frequently into the darker recesses of human emotion.... a story in which the strong and the cunning gain power while the moral and courageous are crushed ruthlessly... well then this is a story for you. If however you prefer a classic heroic tale in which you can count on some character continuity, then you might want to steer towards some Neal Stephenson. The Diamond Age is already a classic.

I can't really think of any evil scumbags In ASoIaF except for 2 characters, out of hundreds. And one of those isn't close to a main character. There are a good few vanilla scumbags though. 

Way better that WoT though. Hands down. Easy. The "questionable" content is part of makes it so great. I could do with less of the goody-goody worlds that authors like to create. Too much black and white, not enough dirt. Go out and get your world dirty. You're not an art collector, you're an AUTHOR. MAKE IT INTERESTING.

Archived