DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chat Thread - Official BotRH Beer Club

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drank a Breckenridge Vanilla Porter and an Evil Twin I Love You with My Stout last night.  

Both good, the former wasn't overly vanilla-oriented and had a nice, smooth finish.  

The latter is just an excellent example of how to make an imperial stout.  There's just so much going on in aroma, body, and finish that it would take me several four packs to truly understand that beer.  Highly recommended.

The latter [Evil Twin I Love You with My Stout] is just an excellent example of how to make an imperial stout.  There's just so much going on in aroma, body, and finish that it would take me several four packs to truly understand that beer.  Highly recommended.

Agreed on all counts. I actually want to try to make a clone recipe of this beer.

I went from drinking this:

250px-Lagunitas-max-ipa.jpg

To drinking... this...

miller-lite-2.jpg

A couple of notes:

1. The can lies.  There is nothing "fine" about this beer.  Joking aside, it isn't the worst choice for drinking games.

2. Beirut should only be played with a ping pong ball.  Quarters are too unsanitary and hard to throw.

bp_diagram.jpg

3. I'm too old for drinking games.

4. Miller Lite gives me massive gas.

Seriously.  I was sooo uncomfortable after just two rounds of Beirut [maybe 4 cans of beer?] that I literally tried to makes myself puke - but couldn't.  It was like vomit constipation.  Also ruined my plans to actually enjoy a real beer responsibly.  I mean, I brought WARLOCK to this party.  If I had known it was going to devolve into a frat party I probably would have found a way to get out of dodge not long after scarfing down my 2nd lobster tail...

Never heard the name Beirut before, I've always known it as Beer Pong. Had a few beers last night, including my favourite as of current:

2014-04-29203203_zps617a116e.jpg

Tried all of these for the first time:

2014-08-09195414_zpsdf089b29.jpg2014-08-09150200_zps8413e8d9.jpg2014-08-09165705_zpsb0fd32d1.jpg
2014-08-09191126_zpsa7517f3a.jpg2014-08-09202446_zps644fb65f.jpg

Some notes:

1. 5 A.M. Saint is great, very fruity aroma, decently hoppy flavour, love it.

2. Jaipur is super fruity, that is all I noticed in the aroma and flavour all the way down. It was pretty tasty though. Ignore the person in the background - not me.

3. The Leffe ones were both nice, but I prefer hoppier flavours. I liked the brown better of the two.

4. Hoegaarden wasn't actually mine, I tried a bit of it, but I got it for my wife, as we're experimenting to see if we can get her to start enjoying beer. Belgian Wit beers are so far the best experience.

5. Not huge on Sierra Nevada, this one is better than their regular IPA, which I found very boring, but I'll probably pass on them in the future.

Oh and not beer, but I got to try this baby out:

2014-08-09223415_zps63f98316.jpg

I'm not nearly the whiskey man that I am a beer man, but that stuff was fantastic. Also I'm noticing that broadening my horizons on beers is helping me notice the finer points of whiskey too, which is great.

Double post!

So I've been doing some research most of the evening in hopes to try Warlock or I Love You With My Stout (we have some Evil Twin stuff here, but not that) and although I've had a resounding lack of success at finding anything like that (you 'muricans aren't allowed to ship it to me insofar as I can tell - Illegal with USPS and against company policy with all the major delivery companies) I have found that I can get ahold of a decent number of the belgian beers (and one or two american ones) on the list, so that is handy.

I believe I spent $40 on shipping when I sent my niece s'mores ingredients because they don't have graham crackers or marshmallows in Australia. I don't want to imagine what the shipping charges for something heavy like a box of beers would be. It's expensive enough to trade "wort samples" within the US.

Haven't had this in a while but decided to knock it off the list...

Li0ZT84l.jpg

This tastes better than I remember. Maybe I'm just in the mood for something smooth, mellow, and easy drinking? The wheat character is standing out to me today with a soft mineral water mouth feel and finishes with a similar cereal "sweetness" as the aftertaste you might get from eating a spoon full of dry rice crispies. Goes down REAL easy and refreshing. Now I'm kind of sad I only bought the one bottle...

Drinking this Magic Hat Circus Boy right now...

AjXu6TYl.jpg

Terrible example of a hefe. That said, it's an extremely sessionable beer [if you pretend they weren't trying for a hefe] for when you are in the mood for something light in body and thirst quenching. I could drink this as a "lawnmower beer."

What I'm currently enjoying:

2014-08-12154149_zpsd4e3c8cc.jpg

Bottom of the picture cuts off just before "California Pale Ale". A nice beer, enjoyable enough, but not sure I'd pick it up in the future. Major orange aroma to it, bitter start and a very smooth finish with not a lot of flavour. Slightly fruity notes all the way through. Probably pretty sessionable, but I think it is a bit bland for my liking.

I'm drinking a Smuttynose Finestkind IPA.

S2rCPRI.jpg

Have to say I'm pretty disappointed in this beer. It's very bitter with no malt balance. It also has a metallic, almost chlorine flavor that carries over into an unpleasant grapefruit rind bitter aftertaste. I'm glad I only picked up the one. I'm actually contemplating not even finishing it... but that would be alcohol abuse.

Archived