DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chat Thread - Official BotRH Beer Club

I had a local brew for a World Cup game... Deschutes brewery pale ale. They are in eastern oregon and real popular in portland where micro brews are huge. I liked it... I do best with ales. Love apple ales especially... Not much of a beer guy (spirits mostly), but less hoppy beer works for me as long as it is ice cold.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a local brew for a World Cup game... Deschutes brewery pale ale. They are in eastern oregon and real popular in portland where micro brews are huge. I liked it... I do best with ales. Love apple ales especially... Not much of a beer guy (spirits mostly), but less hoppy beer works for me as long as it is ice cold.

DesChutes is a great brewery.  I def enjoy most of their line.

I need some advice. After some further discussion with a friend who is in to beer (might be influenced by studies in Germany and England, and living in portland), I have realized I like pale ale best. Especially Apple ale. Don't cringe, but I like Mikes try at it.

So.... Any suggestions on what to try besides mikes that is comparable?

I've never had it, but people seem to like Redd's Apple Ale. It's technically beer instead of cider so I figure it's not goin to be as sweet.

Otherwise if you want fruit beers in the craft scene:

21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon

Sweetwater Blue

Founders Rubaeus

Terrapin Maggie's Peach Farmhouse Ale

Ah.  I think of something very specific when I think of Pale Ale.

beer-types.jpg

That list is pretty thorough - although they ignore some variations within brown ales imo.

Look at how many types of beer are classified as pale ales:

American wheats

IPAs

Bitters (an entirely British style)

Ambers

Strong Ales

Barleywines

It's pretty much any ale that's not dark or distinctly German/Belgian.

Just saying that it seems like most people just classify anything that's not dark as a "pale ale."

My first thought is a hop-forward American Style or a Bass, but that's just me.

So I used my time wisely.

Started off with a Smithwicks Irish Ale. It was good, light, smooth not full bodied but a good drink. Wifey passed through and asked what I was having. She then commented the name sounded like witches or witches brewed it and I told her it was fortunate for her that she was pretty and had I nice rack and to toddle along. (sorry no misogynist here I promise)

Next I had a Guinness to sort of cleanse my pallet........who am I kiddin' I had a Guinness because it's a Guinness!!

Then I had another new one for me, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. What a wonderful surprise!! I'll be getting this one again for certain. Very full bodied, very hoppy, great aftertaste and great finish. I was very pleased with this beer.

Wifey tried a Lienenkugles Summer Shandy and said it was very good so I'll but checking on it later to give my two cents, and putting more brain cells to the guillotine.

So I used my time wisely.

Started off with a Smithwicks Irish Ale. It was good, light, smooth not full bodied but a good drink. Wifey passed through and asked what I was having. She then commented the name sounded like witches or witches brewed it and I told her it was fortunate for her that she was pretty and had I nice rack and to toddle along. (sorry no misogynist here I promise)

Next I had a Guinness to sort of cleanse my pallet........who am I kiddin' I had a Guinness because it's a Guinness!!

Then I had another new one for me, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. What a wonderful surprise!! I'll be getting this one again for certain. Very full bodied, very hoppy, great aftertaste and great finish. I was very pleased with this beer.

Wifey tried a Lienenkugles Summer Shandy and said it was very good so I'll but checking on it later to give my two cents, and putting more brain cells to the guillotine.

Nice!  Good beer and a wifey with a great rack. 

I'd say Lienenkugles Summer Shandy is a great beer for a hot summer day, but maybe won't impress you as much in a bar/home at night.  Dogfish is always good stuff, they have a good assortment of brews.  Guiness for me is....meh.  Used to like it alot, but my taste has changed and at this point the one place I truly love guinness is for breakfast with steak and eggs.

As for smithwicks, hopefully you pronounced it "smitticks" :-) 

Enjoy your night, it sounds great!

Well I will admit my Guinness taste leans more toward draft in a bar than bottle in my home. However Dogfish was a great find...oh my yes!!

Wifey hit the shandy a couple of times so I may have to hide those near the cleaning supplies so I can get some before they're all gone.

Archived