DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chat Thread - Official BotRH Beer Club

So we've started, and I'm tweeting about it (with pictures) if anyone is interested enough to follow (not that it is very exciting). Twitter account is @duke_of_brew (it is my beer specific account, not my main one). Right now we're at a bit of a slow spot heating the water for the mash.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you using a pump? Gravity? Basically, air will cause you to cavitate and lose suction. As long as the water level remains consistent above the grain bed - which I can't see from that picture - you are doing fine.

This is the beer sampler I had for dinner last night:

Evil Twin Classique Imperiale - an 8% ABV Saison [or "blonde imperial ale" - as they call it]

Rushing Duck DuckRam - a Baltic Porter collaboration with Ramstein Brewing

Westbrook Mexican Cake - an imperial stout brewed with habaneros

Victory Moon Glow - a Weizen Bock

Nothing to write home about in that batch. The Mexican Cake was interesting but I don't know if it's something I'd want much more than 5 ounces of. The Moon Glow was decent. My weizen bock should be ready pretty soon so it will be interesting to have as a comparison since this is my first time brewing one.

One of my better bottle finds of late?

Dieu du Ciel Équinoxe du Printemps

I guess the best way to describe it is as a scotch ale with maple sweetness in the finish. They used a light hand with the maple and didn't get any of that burnt flavor that a lot of maple beers have as a flaw. It was supremely delicious and went down way too easy for a beer that's nearly 10% abv!

StV4aN6l.jpg

It was gravity thread, my main concern since it was 60C water was actually about oxygenation.

I introduced the inlaws to the idea of dessert beer on Saturday with Evil Twin's Imperial Doughnut Break. We had it with a chocolate almond cake thing (whipped cream and raspberries on the side) and it complimented it extremely well since the dessert wasn't super sweet.

It was gravity thread, my main concern since it was 60C water was actually about oxygenation.

This is all pre-boil so you're good. The boil eliminates any of the nasties that get introduced. It's POST boil that you worry about airborne contaminants.

How is that beer? Always wondered but never tasted.

I really liked it, a bit of bitterness with strong chocolate and coffee flavours, but not too bitter. Definitely a dessert beer. I really enjoyed it in the setting that I had it, but probably wouldn't drink it anywhere that I wouldn't drink a steaming cup of good quality thick hot chocolate.

This is all pre-boil so you're good. The boil eliminates any of the nasties that get introduced. It's POST boil that you worry about airborne contaminants.

Awesome, glad to hear that. The beer will probably turn out really good then, though I'm not sure it qualifies as an ESB whatsoever. Beersmith lists the OG, IBUs, colour and ABV as being waaay above the optimal range for an ESB. Also this stuff is going to be brown, not pale. 7.8% ABV and 72.2 IBU.

Not to be a braggart? But tonight was a pretty solid freaking beer night.

Started my evening with Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti - ON CASK.

Followed that up with a Bell's Double Creme Stout [MUCH sweeter than their Kalamazoo].

Then the bar got packed at 6:30 because at 7:00 they tapped their only sixtel of Hill Farmstead Grassroots Convival Suarez

I finally get the hype. I've had three other Hill Farmstead brews and they've been decent but nothing fantastic that I'd go out of my way for. This beer was unique and FANTASTIC. It pours a reddish pink, almost like a Rosé. They call it a saison but really it drinks more like a cross between a berliner weiss and a fruit beer. It is a delicate balance of sweet and tart and floral and citrus and strawberry and raspberry... there's a LOT going on for a beer that is so light on the pallet. It has a really crisp and clean finish like a fresh squeezed lemonade. I am super impressed with the craftsmanship involved in this beer. TOTALLY worth trying if you have an opportunity.

It's been like two weeks and I already hate Pumking.

I don't know if I can make it through the season...

It's hard. Get some Warlock. Enjoy ONE bottle. Then switch to Founders Harvest Ale. It's awesome.

Oh I don't drink the stuff myself, I just sell it.

And is it just me, or is Warlock sweeter, less stouty, less chocolatey, and generally closer to Pumking wrt profile this year than last year?

We haven't seen Harvest Ale where I'm at yet :(

We have Sucks! however, a true delight.

Although I don't know why they're rolling out bombers in October and then kegs/sixers in Jan/Feb.  I think maybe they're trying to be the cool kids on the block.

Good convo for BotRH!

So yeah, forgot the Lag Sucks should be out now.  I think the novelty has worn off for me and I don't get super excited anymore.  It's a solid beer but I'm still looking for a fall beer to end all fall beers.

I'm hoping to keg Weizen Bock this week.  Pretty excited about that.

OH!  Founders Breakfast Stout should be coming out soon!  That's a good one.

Troegs Hop Knife is due out.  Oh And keep an out out for Bear Republic Racer X.  That beer is AWESOME.

Now I need a beer.  Then more reading.

Yeah, most people do it with Malt Liquor.

Ever had Evil Twin's Christmas Eve at a New York City Hotel Room?  We just got it in and I'm curious.

Also we got Bell's Java Stout in earlier this week and so I got a bottle at  your recommendation.  Shit was rad.

Ever had Evil Twin's Christmas Eve at a New York City Hotel Room?  We just got it in and I'm curious.

Heard of it. Know the story. Never had it.

Also we got Bell's Java Stout in earlier this week and so I got a bottle at  your recommendation.  Shit was rad.

I'm like a beery version of a sommelier. I take great pride in making sure my recommendations are legit.

Archived