DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WOT Encyclopedia

Just curious if there has been any word on when this will be published.  I haven't heard anything in a while.  Has anyone out there heard any news?

I think they should release the Jordan's notes instead of the E. with a little help from Terez and others.

I haven't heard anything in a while.

E. will not be a bestseller - that's for sure - and may be only read by a handful a people who are really interested in WOT. The bestseller list of Amazon shows that WOT is getting weaker and weaker in the last years, so there is no reason to rush.

It's been a few years since we had a panel on it at JordanCon, but I remember there being talk of more detailed histories of the various countries and some of the significant historical figures. 

• 3 weeks later...

The FAQ site I take mentioned that scene in one or more of its pages.

It mentions it but doesn't answer it.  If I remember correctly it talks about the changes made to that scene between the hardback and the paperback.  The question was semi-answered by RJ saying that Thom's best knives or his second best were "very special" and RAFO'd all further attempts at more info.  It went into the whole power-wrought blade meeting Thakandar forged Myrdraal blades as producing blue sheet lightning, which started before Thom ever got to it.  Not to mention the fires it caused burned some of the Inns/Shops and we hadn't seen that before. Or maybe the fire was caused by a cow kicking over a lantern (from the Great Fire of Chicago reference)...I'll have to reread that part.

Any word on whether it shall be in universe like the BWB? That is what I have been wanting to know lo these many years.

whether this encyclopedia would be part of this series?  I would guess it would be.

Any word on whether it shall be in universe like the BWB? That is what I have been wanting to know lo these many years.

whether this encyclopedia would be part of this series?  I would guess it would be.

I'm assuming that by "in universe" threadnecromancer meant the fact that the BWB was written with deliberate inaccuracies, as though written by Third Age scholars who don't have complete or accurate information on a lot of topics.

And I'm assuming that the encyclopedia will not be a similar case.

[Teresa Patterson] explained that the Guide was written with deliberate inaccuracies. One of the reoccurring themes of the series is that people don’t necessarily know all they think they do, but still have to make decisions based on what they know. They decided the book would be written from the point of view of a historian who had good, but not necessarily great information on a variety of subjects. So Jordan withheld information from her while she was writing the book, or he would tell her things, but then ask that she not include it.

From here.

[Teresa Patterson] explained that the Guide was written with deliberate inaccuracies. One of the reoccurring themes of the series is that people don’t necessarily know all they think they do, but still have to make decisions based on what they know. They decided the book would be written from the point of view of a historian who had good, but not necessarily great information on a variety of subjects. So Jordan withheld information from her while she was writing the book, or he would tell her things, but then ask that she not include it.

From here.

I need to get a copy of the BWB.  Are you guys saying that it was deliberately written with inaccurate info, say like the Horn being able to be used by the shadow, and so forth?

Not sure what is wrong in it, I had assumed it was all correct information,  but if it suppose to be from a historian POV then I can see how there might be inaccuracies.  But the BWB gives a lot of history on how Hawkwing came to power, history of the current nations,information on each Forsaken, how trollocs came to be, info on each of the Seachen exotic animal, Seanchan culture.  It gives a lot off background information but doesn't really answer many questions of the series from the time of the books.  RJ made the book after the 7th book in the series.  Its really good if you want to know about stuff before book 1

There is information missing like nothing on Hawkwing's daughters invasion of Shara.  No real info on Shara, doesn't speak of things like the horn and working for the shadow, or not. 

The main thing I hope it covers is a breif description of the Seven ages... we know Age 2 was AoL, Age 3 was when the main story took place, Age 4 was post cleansing. Would love to see what the other ages are, and which one ours is supposed to be.

the Horn being able to be used by the Shadow; that comes from only the main series.  Great Hunt; Suian talking to the 3 taveren.

about the Ages, the Guide does not give descriptions about them.  the Guide only covers the Age of Legends and the Age of the main series.

about the Age numbers, there might be some chance that those are different.  The first paragraph of each book's Chapter 1 contains this phrase:: "called the Third Age by some"

emphasis mine.

About Whitebridge, different characters claimed different things for the cause of the fire.

Archived