DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

World Cup 2014

redarm

Thought this needed it's own thread. 

WC2014 is only weeks away.  Of course I am cheering for the USA but I am guessing the hosts Brazil have the best chance to win it all.  Germany is looking great as are all the usual suspects.  I hope there are some surprises this cup.  I'd love to see a minnow surprise everyone and advance. 

USA has it's hands full with Ghans, Germany, and Portugal but I think they are good to get out of the group.  Tough group.  Not having Donovan on the squad will make things even more interesting.  Shame he wasn't chosen and I think Klinsman made a big mistake there. 

Who are you rooting for and what games are you looking forward to?

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'll be rooting for France and the US, but I'm afraid it'll probably be a short one for the US. You never know though, if they beat Ghana, and manage to shut down Cristiano Ronaldo, they've got a chance.

What games am I looking forward to? Um.... all of them?

It's really tough to call though. Brazil are definitely the favorites for me, but Germany has a fair few issues at the moment, in spite of all their talent. The Netherlands aren't that great at the moment, Spain isn't quite as good as it was a couple years ago. Italy might be one of the best bets. Argentina are still too unbalanced, and Portugal are completely dependent on Ronaldo. Belgium, Colombia, Chile, and Uruguay could do very well. I think Russia might be able to pull something off too. And here's hoping Ivory Coast finally makes it through the group stages.

Hey World Cuperators.  I'm joining an office World Cuppin Pool and I know next to nothing about soccer except what ESPN tells me.

As you can see, that is pretty dismal.

So...anybody want to help me out so I can win and claim all sorts of happiness and winningness?

USA

USA

USA

:biggrin:

I'll be sticking with the home team until they get knocked out. Here's to hoping that doesn't happen though!

My girlfriend is Brazilian and her dad bought an 80" TV just for the WC, so needless to say, I've been kind of converted over. If USA is knocked out, I'll be donning the yellow and green.

Hey World Cuperators.  I'm joining an office World Cuppin Pool and I know next to nothing about soccer except what ESPN tells me.

As you can see, that is pretty dismal.

So...anybody want to help me out so I can win and claim all sorts of happiness and winningness?

Well let's see, the Group stages are like this:

Group A :

Brazil

Mexico

Cameroon

Croatia

Brazil will almost certainly get 1st. As for 2nd, tough choice but I would say Croatia. Mexico barely got to the World Cup, and Cameroon I find is very average.

Group B:

Spain

Netherlands

Chile

Australia

Normally I would say say Spain and Netherlands. However Netherlands are a mess at the moment, and considering this is taking place in South America, I think Chile will take second. Don't even bother with Australia.

Group C:

Colombia

Greece 

Ivory Coast

Japan

If Falcao is playing, Colombia gets first, and second will be between Ivory Coast and Japan. Greece is too defensive.

Group D:

Uruguay

Costa Rica

Italy 

England

A very tough group to call. Italy aren't going to screw up in 2 consecutive World Cups so I think they'll take first. For second, I'd give the edge to Uruguay, but with Suarez's injury issues, and Liverpool's great season, England might just get the better of them. 

Group E:

Switzerland

Ecuador

France

Honduras

Normally, if they don't screw up again, France should take first. Switzerland had a very soft qualifying group, and are still a bit young. 2nd place will be between them and Ecuador.

Group F:

Argentina

Bosnia-Herzegovina

Iran 

Nigeria

Argentina should get 1st through sheer attacking firepower. Bosnia were great in qualifying, but Nigeria are African champions, so tough call. I'd give the edge to Bosnia.

Group G:

Germany

Portugal

Ghana

United States

If you're feeling patriotic give USA second place behind Germany, because let's face it Germany never goes out in the group stages. If you're feeling realistic, give Portugal second place and hope the US beats Ghana so they don't finish last.

Group H:

Belgium 

Algeria

Russia 

South Korea

Belgium gets first I think. Second is between Russia and South Korea. Russia typically under perform on the big stage, but I'd give them second here.

Round of 16 would then look like this according to my choices:

Brazil vs Chile

Colombia vs Uruguay

France vs Bosnia

Germany vs Russia

Spain vs Croatia

Italy vs Ivory Coast

Argentina vs Switzerland

Belgium vs Portugal

Then Quarterfinals

Brazil vs Uruguay

France vs Germany (really, really hope I'm wrong)

Spain vs Italy (nearly impossible to call as far as I'm concerned, but Spain has to lose someday)

Argentina vs Belgium

Semifinals

Brazil vs Germany

Argentina vs Italy 

Final: If you're feeling cruel have Italy win. Otherwise give it to Brazil.

i hope/think england can do well this world cup, not expecting too much as long as we get out the group and beat italy. Had a lot of trash talk of them eye ties, would love it if we stuffed them. Just hope woy plays the youth he picked for the squad. come on england come on england come on england. no more under achieving.

Are you sure Italy has enough firepower to beat Spain?  I feel like a more offensive team would match up better.

I think so. They need to be extra solid in the back and funnel the spanish towards the middle of the pitch, to minimize the amount of space the spanish midfield has available. Then strike like lighting on the counter. By no means easy, but it's possible. France got the tie in Spain, and had a goal wrongfully disallowed for offside. Brazil thrashed them at the Confederations Cup, and Italy tied them then as well.

With Suarez out and Italy looking crap at the moment, England might just get out of our group.

USA have a massive task, but have come a long way. I don't think they'll get out of their group.

Belgium have built a really nice team.

For me it will be out of Spain, Argentina, Brazil and Germany to win it.

If I had to lay money it would be on Spain.

Ribery is out of the World Cup.... Well, he would have been nowhere near peak form anyway, but it's a shame for him because this was probably his last chance at the World Cup. Guess I'll look on the bright side with Griezmann getting plenty of experience in preparation for Euro 2016.

Germany definitely has more depth, but it still needs stability in it's starting line up. France isn't exactly deprived of talent either. I'm not sure how Deschamps will have them play, but replacing Ribery with Griezmann seems best to me. I don't think Benzema should be played on the wing. I think how well Pogba and Valbuena play will be the most important factor, but the player who really balances the team out is Cabaye. It's taken a long time, but there finally seems to be a proper midfield for the team.

Henry was never quite as exceptional with France as he was with Arsenal. Still very good, just not quite as great.

Archived