DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What voices do you match with the characters?

Razorback

When you read the books, do you populate the characters with voices from other media? Usually I just read the books in my normal 'reading voice' in my head, for lack of a better phrase. This time out though I'm doing a bit of fantasy voice-casting. I tend to picture the series as an anime in my brain anyways, this is just helping to fill things out more. :) I only have a few so far, that 'reader voice' is surprisingly stubborn about yielding brainspace. The cool thing about 'casting' the series this way is that we don't have to tie ourselves to how the characters look.

Pedron Niall - Christopher Lee: I don't think I need to introduce this one. :)

Jaichim Carridin - Steve Blum: He hits a prefect combo of both arrogant and submissive with his work playing Starscream (TF: Prime) and Zoltun Kulle (Diablo 3).

Moghedien - Claudia Black: She's done alot of sci-fi and gaming voicework, but what got to me was her role as "Cydaea, Maiden of Lust" (Diablo 3). Granted, I think in this case it was the image that summoned the voice, it still works well.

CydaeaMaiden_ingame.jpg

For me, each of the principal three characters (Rand, Mat, Perrin); I sort of project myself onto them. They are sort of...me. It's hard to explain. They sort of look like an older me, in the case of Perrin, with a beard. With rand, a slightly different hair color. (I imagine him with hair that is more brown than red) Variants of my voice, more gruff for Perrin, more matured/hard/deep/profound for Rand and more just plain me for Mat. When I read it from someone's point of view (provided they are male) I sort of become the character (if it is well written)in my imagination. Sooooooo, i don't know it i'm just really into it or am just a narcissist. :P

By the way Tranovious, I love your siggy. But I wonder, where did you get your name? 

I generally do silent reading; seldom do out-loud reading.

I do not associate any real person's voice with any character of any fiction I read.

Edit::

at times when I do silent reading, I kind of hear a voice; usually when reading fiction.

The gender of that "voice" generally corresponds to the gender of the speaker (during dialogue/monologue) or the gender of the POV's character (other times).

For me, each of the principal three characters (Rand, Mat, Perrin); I sort of project myself onto them. They are sort of...me. It's hard to explain. They sort of look like an older me, in the case of Perrin, with a beard. With rand, a slightly different hair color. (I imagine him with hair that is more brown than red) Variants of my voice, more gruff for Perrin, more matured/hard/deep/profound for Rand and more just plain me for Mat. When I read it from someone's point of view (provided they are male) I sort of become the character (if it is well written)in my imagination. Sooooooo, i don't know it i'm just really into it or am just a narcissist. :P

Pretty strange ... :huh:

Pretty strange ... :huh:

Actually didn't RJ say that he was whatever character he was writing at the time when asked which was his favorite?  He also went on to say he never read his own books, only listened to them on audiobook to ensure that what he wanted to get across came across.

Actually didn't RJ say that he was whatever character he was writing at the time when asked which was his favorite?  He also went on to say he never read his own books, only listened to them on audiobook to ensure that what he wanted to get across came across.

He was the Creator of the series, so I have no problem with this. And while I think identification with characters is important, projecting myself into them (and not reverse!) is strange.

He was the Creator of the series, so I have no problem with this. And while I think identification with characters is important, projecting myself into them (and not reverse!) is strange.

Lol, really? I knew there was something wrong with me.  :tongue:

• 1 month later...

Archived