DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

People can be so rude!

Elgee

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can cut and paste and get that symbol.

Case in point:   Kukasö   (cut and pasted that from your post, Mish)

But if I'm typing it, I don't have that symbol anywhere on the keyboard.

• Community Administrator

If you look it up on the character map, you can find the shortcut to get the fancy symbols.  Holding down Alt then pressing 0246 on the right-side keypad will get you this:

ö

But, again, it's just laziness.

Omg! I hope it's not too much trouble!

I'm ok with simple o I know you mean it with dots :) I type it like this myself when I'm lazy to copy/paste.

I just don't like the word "kuka" :) I'd rather shorten it to the last part but with "a" at the end but I don't even know how to write it so it'd sound right :)

It's ok if you forget though :) There will be always somebody who don't know about it anyway.

We don't have the symbols on our keyboards either, here in South Africa. You don't get them, unless they're made specifically for countries where those characters are used in the local language. It's not used in English, so there goes half the world ... lol

On my computer, it's listed under (when you click on the Start Menu) Programs, Accessories, System Tools.  They call it a "Character Map."  Hope that helps!

I can't find this on Windows 8. Grr...

My grandmother's name was Angella, she went by Ella and hated it when people would shorten her name to Angie. My mom, on the other hand was Barbara and she went by Barb or Barbie or Barbara. My sister was Janis and went by Jan and hated being called Janis. My parents didn't even call her Janis. LOL I have a friend also named Janis and she hates being called Jan! It's so hard to remember sometimes! 

When I meet a patient for the first time I ask them what name they would like me to use and I use that name from then on. I'm pretty good about that. 

My real name is Caitrin and people get it wrong so often I don't mind. The one thing that bothers me is when they call me Katrina. My last name is always mispronounced as well.

I will say that my new job is working phone tech support for AT&T and we're required to call customers by their first name immediately and if they ask otherwise , we then address them as they prefer. So it may not always be the choice of the person helping you. I us would prefer to use Sir and Maam or Mr and Mrs unless instructed otherwise .

I will say that my new job is working phone tech support for AT&T and we're required to call customers by their first name immediately and if they ask otherwise , we then address them as they prefer. So it may not always be the choice of the person helping you. I us would prefer to use Sir and Maam or Mr and Mrs unless instructed otherwise .

That sounds odd. Is there a reason behind this, do you know?

Page 1 read.

LG - fair enough

Brandie - fair enough

The rest I just assume parents were illiterate.

A friend of mine has a daughter Cloe - phonetically correct.  Aesthetically grotesque.  I make the same assumption.

Now I'm not trying to be rude and I'm sure it comes across that way but I'm unclear on how I could phrase this politely without writing a rather large missive with lots of caveats.

We have to write letters now - that are more friendly like. We have to join and shorten all the words that can be.

So:

I'll instead of I will

You'll instead of you will

I've instead of I have

I've found it really difficult to get used to - because for me it's just not how you write a letter.

I'm kind of nervously looking towards having to ask my family to call me Aaron instead of my birth name, Aino. Didn't go over so well when I brought the subject up with my sister -- she did the whole classic "you'll always be a sister to me" thing, adding that she'd "maybe learn to use a new name in 10 years or so" which is obviously very hyperbolic but I think she just genuinely didn't realise I was being serious.

I try to be careful to call people by their preferred name, but I'm also a very affectionate person and sometimes that manifests in excessive use of nicknames... So yeah, consider this a request to let me know if I ever call you something you don't like, and I shall stop doing so.

Until you go to the US in the places where they say Aaron like Erin - that drives me crazy!

My grandmother on my mom's side was Annemarie Katerina but everyone called her Katie.  My aunt is Annemarie but she's called Nanni or Mariana.  My other aunt is Augusta but she's called Gusti.  My mother's name is Gisela but she's called Gitta.  I guess Germans are big on pet names! LOL!  Then again, my mom named me Tina which can't be shortened to anything, really.  :eyeroll:  Although she did call me Binschen ("little bee") when I was young. I didn't like it; maybe because bees seemed to like stinging me.  I was stung 12 times by the time I was 11 and now I'm allergic.

My sister's name is Susan and she insists on being called Susan. She HATED being called Susie when she was little and she doesn't care for Sue, either.

Kukaso, I'll try to remember to type out your whole username from now on, though it'll be without the special o.  :smile:

Of course it can T

In fact I know a few Tinas/Teenas and a lot shorten it to just T

Whether by choice I don't know

My grandmother's name was Angella, she went by Ella and hated it when people would shorten her name to Angie. My mom, on the other hand was Barbara and she went by Barb or Barbie or Barbara. My sister was Janis and went by Jan and hated being called Janis. My parents didn't even call her Janis. LOL I have a friend also named Janis and she hates being called Jan! It's so hard to remember sometimes! 

When I meet a patient for the first time I ask them what name they would like me to use and I use that name from then on. I'm pretty good about that. 

One thing often not considered on paperwork is "Preferred Name"

That sounds odd. Is there a reason behind this, do you know?

To make the call seem personal.  It is quite common in these roles.

Formality seems to be fading away and that's a good thing for equality.

If you look it up on the character map, you can find the shortcut to get the fancy symbols.  Holding down Alt then pressing 0246 on the right-side keypad will get you this:

ö

But, again, it's just laziness.

If you're on a smartphone or tablet, you wont have a righthand keypad. Or an alt key.

Words and names are spelled differently in different countries.

The French form of Gisela is Giselle,  for example.  People often call my mother Giselle; she doesn't like it but doesn't pitch fits. If she gently corrects them and they still get it wrong, she'll tell them to just call her Gitta.

For Christina, there's also Kristina.  For Catherine, there's also Katherine with other forms being Katrina, Katerina, etc.

And then you get into feminine and masculine spellings of root names.   Michael (m) vs Michelle (f).  But then there are different spellings even of Michael (Mikael, etc.) and so on.

:smile:

I had a teacher who thought my name Robin for the last 3  years of school. Someone once told him it wasn't Robin, from the next day he called me Robert.

My  name is in no way beginning with R-it starts with A

And then you get into feminine and masculine spellings of root names.   Michael (m) vs Michelle (f).  But then there are different spellings even of Michael (Mikael, etc.) and so on.

I always that Michelle was the female form of Mitchell, which is related to Michael but then there's Michaela for the females there :P

Archived