DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

People can be so rude!

Elgee

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't like it when people call me by the shortened version of my name.

really really.

I'm the exact opposite. I've never liked to be called by my full first name. My parents called me Michael when I was in trouble. My teachers called me Michael when they were calling on me. And even then, some would call me Mike. (Especially if there was another Michael in the class, which there usually was.) But I think Michael in the long form sounds so stilted and impersonal, and I hate it. I'll admit to shortening just about everyone's names in RL, except for people I know to really prefer the long form. Even then, I have trouble understanding why they would want the long version.

As for getting names completely wrong, my sister has had it a lot worse than I ever did. Virginia shortens to Ginny, and her whole life she has had teachers, classmates, and even a couple of bosses repeatedly call her Jenny or Jen. She's even gotten mail addressed to Jennifer.

• Community Administrator

I'm really ok being called my first name by all ages of people. In fact, I prefer it. What really gets me is when someone is providing customer service and they call me "sweetie" and it's young women who are doing it. I'm not young, nor am I a close friend of yours. The other thing I dislike, again when being provided customer service, is when I request something and the response is "no problem." If I'm at a restaurant, it should not be a "problem" to serve drinks, take an order or to provide utensils.

Working with kids at an elementary school, it's hard to not call them sweetie, sometimes.  I try not to, because it can come off a bit condescending.  I try to always call each kid by their name; that shows you acknowledge them as an individual, and on equal terms.  But, sometimes I do slip and call them sweetie, or hun, or something.

I also say "no problem" a lot when people say thank you, or ask me for something.  It's just an automatic reaction, not out of conscious thought or anything.  I also say "don't worry about it," or other things.  I just  hate saying "You're welcome" because it makes it sound like I did something so spectacular--like I went so far out of my way and I deserve their praise and thanks.  The others sound more humble to me.

Try having my name. Most people can't even pronounce it they just say it like "sigmind" and I want to hit them.
Sigmundr Æþelwulf Oelrich Úlfheðinn.
(should mention that the þ and ð are both pronounced like a "th" its Old English/Norse but also used in Icelandic today

I know it's different with military or military-related.  My youngest is now in Civil Air Patrol and they call each other by surname only, unless they are addressing a superior.  When my husband was in the Navy, they all addressed each other by surname (again, unless addressing a superior).

However, I'm not in the military so I don't want to be called by my surname.  Although I once worked with a guy who shortened my maiden surname into a nickname.  He called me "Griff" (short for Griffin). He also called his girlfriend by her last name.  I'm not sure why . . . :laugh:

Try having my name. Most people can't even pronounce it they just say it like "sigmind" and I want to hit them.

Sigmundr Æþelwulf Oelrich Úlfheðinn.

(should mention that the þ and ð are both pronounced like a "th" its Old English/Norse but also used in Icelandic today

Is the "u" in your given name a long "u?"  And I'm not even sure about the letters in your 2nd name or surname, either!  I'd probably be afraid to even try to pronounce them!  

I hate being called by my surname. I mean hate. I don't call other people by their last name either, even if everyone else does.

Really now? Even with a Mr in front? Or Dr :P ?

Yep.  And if I'm in a situation where someone has to use my last name, they almost always say it wrong, even when it's spelled out right in front of them.  It's Johnston, btw, and it annoys me to no end when people say Johnson.  Both my first, middle, and surname have two syllables, so it always sounds stiff when someone (or myself) says both my first and last name.  Calling someone by their last name only sounds way to formal and impersonal to me, so I don't.

barly get cald byb frst name or any name, usualy jus 'you' 'him,; 'man', 'cousin'.usuly when get caled a name its 'aodhagan's boy', aodhhaganm is fater's name, pobul do that lot where i live, caly yore parents' boy/son or girl/daighter. onlly coupel friends usse my first name much, eoghann, thogh lot of times juust eo. i dont giv a crap abuot what peplle cal me as lon as i kno thhey aer adresing me ocus itt] is not insulting. dontt evn bothre corectin somo one if pronconce name wrong unless they say it questoninglly or rijgt out ask if that right, thn ill tell just bycause they ask. names jus dont mattter uch to me. if othre peple corect me with their name bycause i say it wrong il try say it again but if they stil say its wrong or being anoying abont then ill deciide to rename them some thung like d-kface and they better like it. thers number of thing find rude but onlly thing tha hapen frequnt is staring at me or mumruring near me, set me off easy, cursingg me for al; i know

I hate being called by my surname. I mean hate. I don't call other people by their last name either, even if everyone else does.

Really now? Even with a Mr in front? Or Dr :P ?

Yep.  And if I'm in a situation where someone has to use my last name, they almost always say it wrong, even when it's spelled out right in front of them.  It's Johnston, btw, and it annoys me to no end when people say Johnson.  Both my first, middle, and surname have two syllables, so it always sounds stiff when someone (or myself) says both my first and last name.  Calling someone by their last name only sounds way to formal and impersonal to me, so I don't.

I SAID IT RIGHT FIRST TRY!!!!!!!! XD

People surprisingly get Lauren wrong. I have seen the worst spellings of it or they call me Laura or Laurie. Nothing is wrong with either of those names, but I personally really like my name and hate when it is changed in any way. Even spelling it, they'll be like okay Laurie. Or in written form I get Loren, Lauran, Lorin, etc. 

I really don't like it when people call me by the shortened version of my name.

really really.

I'm the exact opposite. I've never liked to be called by my full first name. My parents called me Michael when I was in trouble. My teachers called me Michael when they were calling on me. And even then, some would call me Mike. (Especially if there was another Michael in the class, which there usually was.) But I think Michael in the long form sounds so stilted and impersonal, and I hate it. I'll admit to shortening just about everyone's names in RL, except for people I know to really prefer the long form. Even then, I have trouble understanding why they would want the long version.

As for getting names completely wrong, my sister has had it a lot worse than I ever did. Virginia shortens to Ginny, and her whole life she has had teachers, classmates, and even a couple of bosses repeatedly call her Jenny or Jen. She's even gotten mail addressed to Jennifer.

Almost all my mail is addressed to "Kayle." It gets very annoying. 

The main problem I have is that I am Mikayla (pronounced M-ick-ayla) and people say M-ah-kayla. Which, there are certain spellings that have an a where the i goes, so I understand it (this is what happens when your name has a couple dozen spellings--I'm not exaggerating). I usually don't say anything and somehow say my name the correct way soon after the misspeak and introduce myself the correct way and yeah.

When people don't remember my name and try to guess, I usually am called "Mackenzie." I've been called a variety of things all my life (from Mika to Mike to Mickey) so I don't really care. 

I am HORRIBLE at remembering names. Sometimes I remember instantly, but I usually have to meet people multiple times before their name finally sticks with their face. Bah. 

I pronounce it the second way, simply cause that's how my accent makes it sound.  Like the "Lorin" in Leelou's post above, to me it sounds the same as "Lauren."  It's hard for me to say it the first way.

People surprisingly get Lauren wrong. I have seen the worst spellings of it or they call me Laura or Laurie. Nothing is wrong with either of those names, but I personally really like my name and hate when it is changed in any way. Even spelling it, they'll be like okay Laurie. Or in written form I get Loren, Lauran, Lorin, etc.

My youngest son's name is Matthew. While I like "Matt" too and use it occasionally, we and most everyone else call him Matthew. My older son is Joel, short and sweet. He's never been called Joe.

People always shorten my name too. I say it's Yekaterina they immediately call me Katia( or even Katen'ka, Katiusha or something you'd really expect only from close friends or relatives) *headdesk* Can't say it really annoys me but it's surprising. Why?!

For some reason it annoys me when the other girl at work is called Kamilla when her name is Tamilla really. Even in emails when it's written right there.

I really don't like to be called Kuka instead of Kukasö. But everybody do anyway so I really try not to be annoyed by it :)

Oh no, Kukaso! You should let us know you don't like Kuka; I won't call you that anymore!

In all honesty, I just type Kuka because then I can avoid the fancy O in your name. :P

It's the fancy o that stops me from typing it out too! I don't have the option to type it with the ö. I have to copy/paste it every time.

I'm kind of nervously looking towards having to ask my family to call me Aaron instead of my birth name, Aino. Didn't go over so well when I brought the subject up with my sister -- she did the whole classic "you'll always be a sister to me" thing, adding that she'd "maybe learn to use a new name in 10 years or so" which is obviously very hyperbolic but I think she just genuinely didn't realise I was being serious.

I try to be careful to call people by their preferred name, but I'm also a very affectionate person and sometimes that manifests in excessive use of nicknames... So yeah, consider this a request to let me know if I ever call you something you don't like, and I shall stop doing so.

My grandmother on my mom's side was Annemarie Katerina but everyone called her Katie.  My aunt is Annemarie but she's called Nanni or Mariana.  My other aunt is Augusta but she's called Gusti.  My mother's name is Gisela but she's called Gitta.  I guess Germans are big on pet names! LOL!  Then again, my mom named me Tina which can't be shortened to anything, really.  :eyeroll:  Although she did call me Binschen ("little bee") when I was young. I didn't like it; maybe because bees seemed to like stinging me.  I was stung 12 times by the time I was 11 and now I'm allergic.

My sister's name is Susan and she insists on being called Susan. She HATED being called Susie when she was little and she doesn't care for Sue, either.

Kukaso, I'll try to remember to type out your whole username from now on, though it'll be without the special o.  :smile:

Oh no, Kukaso! You should let us know you don't like Kuka; I won't call you that anymore!

In all honesty, I just type Kuka because then I can avoid the fancy O in your name. :P

It's the fancy o that stops me from typing it out too! I don't have the option to type it with the ö. I have to copy/paste it every time.

That's it for me too :P In my reports where I do type your name I just usually use then normal o even though I know it isn't the same just because I'm lazy 

I saw a friend last night and remembered that for the first year of knowing him I called him Trevor, because that's how he was introduced to me. One day he asked why I called him Trevor... because his name was Daniel. And up to that point I wondered why people called him Danny...

Archived