DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I need a holiday

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only know about weird place names in Finland... like a town called Pöljä. Which translates to something like "dumbass". And there's a school there, called Pöljän Ala-aste, effectively Primary School of the Dumbass.

Which came first I wonder. The Town's name ... or its name being used to mean a dumbass?

maybe someone from there did something reeeeeeaaaaaallllyyy stupid once and everyone started saying people from there were all stupid and then it went viral and actually turned into a verb.

Like Verb

or Google

Hear hear.

Man I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed a holiday.

Isn't your 17 week summer break coming up soon?

lol

17 week?! 

I get 4 weeks off. And it won't be off, I'm sitting an external licensing exam and writing papers...

No rest for the wicked.

Students lol.

Haha yes!

Which came first I wonder. The Town's name ... or its name being used to mean a dumbass?

maybe someone from there did something reeeeeeaaaaaallllyyy stupid once and everyone started saying people from there were all stupid and then it went viral and actually turned into a verb.

Like Verb

or Google

That's an extremely good question!

Hmm, the wikipedia article (only in Finnish m'fraid) tells me there's been human settlement in the area as far as 5000 years ago but nothing on the origins of the name of the current town.

Hear hear.

Man I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed a holiday.

Isn't your 17 week summer break coming up soon?

lol

17 week?! 

I get 4 weeks off. And it won't be off, I'm sitting an external licensing exam and writing papers...

No rest for the wicked.

Students lol.

Haha yes!

But you is student, hence skint. So I'd have to pay and probably also get you a MacDonald's because you've only been eating 7p noodles all week.

My Dad used to do that lol

But you is student, hence skint. So I'd have to pay and probably also get you a MacDonald's because you've only been eating 7p noodles all week.

My Dad used to do that lol

Can't get them for 7p now. 20p more like it.

You're right though.

Tesco Everyday noodles are 20p a pack.

AND you have to get loans out to even go to Uni.

How did my holiday thread get turned into your student life thread?

You started it!

:solemn noodle silence:

Archived