DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Illeyna Revealed

Who was or is Illeyna in the Wheel of Time has always been an intriguing mystery to me. The fact that we never found out was one of the frustrating omissions of the series. However, I now believe with a 100% certainty that Illeyna was Egwene. I believe that Rand and Egwene are bound to the Wheel together and that Egwene is always destined to die a tragic death. This time she died saving the world in the prior age she died as a result of the madness that overtook the male channelers. It was the madness that altered Rands age from previous ones. Without the madness Rand follows Egwene to the White Tower and they both become Aes SedaI and then marry, and fight together against the shadow. Because of the fracture in the Tower, the Dragon Reborn doesn't join the Aes Sedai, which is likely the first time in Ages that he doesn't join the Tower. Since the Black Tower and White Tower are two separate entities there is a good chance that in future ages Rand and Egwene never marry one another again, or at least in the short time they will not, and may remain opponents.

Aviendha, Min, and Elayne are red herrings in the same way that Perrin and Mat are red herrings.  The real story of the Wheel of Time is about Rand and Egwene  and Lews Therin Telamon and Illeyna.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The story, however, isn't "About Rand and Egwene and Lews Therin Telamon and Illeyna" because Egwene is dead and Rand is now off exploring. Egwene  died about halfway or 2/3rds way through the last battle, after Gawyn was killed. If you are right, how do you explain bloody Gawyn? Also, your proof for this is a little....lacking. It seems like speculation at best. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your evidence is only evidence if you are correct. I understand you are trying to boil the series down to one point you can focus on, but that's kind of impossible for the Wheel of Time.

There's no reason why Ilyena should be someone notable in the series, and no evidence to suggest she is - she could as easily be Laras, an unnamed Damane or just not appear. She's certainly not a composite or Elayne, Min and Aviendha - RJ was clear that souls cannot be split.

• Community Administrator

At JordanCon, Brandon said that Rand wonders if one of his three girls is Ilyena. He didn't say if that was correct, but even Rand thought it was possible, so it seems logical that we would assume that too.

There's no reason why Ilyena should be someone notable in the series, and no evidence to suggest she is - she could as easily be Laras, an unnamed Damane or just not appear. She's certainly not a composite or Elayne, Min and Aviendha - RJ was clear that souls cannot be split.

Oh I didn't mean that the soul was in three parts, but that Elayne, Min and Aviendah represent different parts of who she was. Elayne in looks, a viperish tongue from Aviendah, and the soft caring side of Min. 

Oh I didn't mean that the soul was in three parts, but that Elayne, Min and Aviendah represent different parts of who she was. Elayne in looks, a viperish tongue from Aviendah, and the soft caring side of Min. 

Woah, woah, woah, hang on! Avenderha has the viper tongue? We met Elayne swearing and insulting in  EoTW! And Min shows several people the rough side of her tounge. I think Avenderha is the best restrained to everybody but Rand a few times early on!

Woah, woah, woah, hang on! Avenderha has the viper tongue? We met Elayne swearing and insulting in  EoTW! And Min shows several people the rough side of her tounge. I think Avenderha is the best restrained to everybody but Rand a few times early on!

She's not exactly pleasant company right up until the time that she and Rand visited Seanchan :P.

Everyone knows Illeyna was reborn as Narg.  Even in this turning of the Wheel, The Dragon can not escape killing his greatest love...

Post of the week :laugh:

Post of the century.

Enter mb who earnestly states:

"Books do not say either way whether Ilyena reborn is Narg. Robert Jordan has said trollocs are only reborn as trollocs. Can not recall where I read that."

As far as I recall, the books have not revealed Ilyena reborn.  And it seems doubtful that either author revealed her either.

Ilyena reborn would for sure be human (rebirths seem to be the same type of creature) and female (rebirths seem to be the same gender).  Beyond those, nothing is certain about Ilyena reborn.

If Ilyena's soul was linked to Lews Therin's soul, then Ilyena would be one of Rand's lovers.  Yet, the books do not tell one way or the other about those souls being linked to each other or not.

There were similar threads about this in the past.

Everyone knows Illeyna was reborn as Narg.  Even in this turning of the Wheel, The Dragon can not escape killing his greatest love...

Post of the week :laugh:

Post of the century.

Enter mb who earnestly states:

"Books do not say either way whether Ilyena reborn is Narg. RJ has said trollocs are only reborn as trollocs. Can not recall where I read that."

Have not read any such quote form Robert Jordan.

And I never have used his initials when posting his name.

I asked Brandon Sanderson who Illeyna was a while back, and he responded that he didn't think Robert Jordan wanted us to know. That in itself could mean anything, but I took it as Illeyna was in the notes, but they decided not to say who she was reborn as. Egwene seems to me to be the most likely candidate to be Illeyna. As mentioned before if not for the taint both Rand and Egwene would have went off to the White Tower, became Aes Sedai, and probably gotten married, fought the Dark One together, with Egwene dying in the end. The symmetry is too good for it to be an accident. I know that many don't believe that, but it is what I believe. 

The story, however, isn't "About Rand and Egwene and Lews Therin Telamon and Illeyna" because Egwene is dead and Rand is now off exploring. Egwene  died about halfway or 2/3rds way through the last battle, after Gawyn was killed. If you are right, how do you explain bloody Gawyn? Also, your proof for this is a little....lacking. It seems like speculation at best. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your evidence is only evidence if you are correct. I understand you are trying to boil the series down to one point you can focus on, but that's kind of impossible for the Wheel of Time.

Gawyn is a just a part of the differences from Age to Age. The Wheel of Time has many different stories, but if you were to boil it down to 2 major story lines it would have to be Rand and Egwene. The story of their rise to power, and the differences on how they handle the challenges and unforeseen problems, are among the most interesting to read through. Rand was the oak tree while Egwene was the willow.

At JordanCon, Brandon said that Rand wonders if one of his three girls is Ilyena. He didn't say if that was correct, but even Rand thought it was possible, so it seems logical that we would assume that too.

Of course it's possible. Random chance could bring their souls together again. It's just there's no reason why it would. Wondering that something might be the case is not the same as there being any actual evidence that it is. We have seen Rand's soul tied to another - that other is Moridin.

I asked Brandon Sanderson who Illeyna was a while back, and he responded that he didn't think Robert Jordan wanted us to know. That in itself could mean anything, but I took it as Illeyna was in the notes, but they decided not to say who she was reborn as. Egwene seems to me to be the most likely candidate to be Illeyna. As mentioned before if not for the taint both Rand and Egwene would have went off to the White Tower, became Aes Sedai, and probably gotten married, fought the Dark One together, with Egwene dying in the end. The symmetry is too good for it to be an accident. I know that many don't believe that, but it is what I believe. 

Gawyn is a just a part of the differences from Age to Age. The Wheel of Time has many different stories, but if you were to boil it down to 2 major story lines it would have to be Rand and Egwene. The story of their rise to power, and the differences on how they handle the challenges and unforeseen problems, are among the most interesting to read through. Rand was the oak tree while Egwene was the willow.

You can't boil down the series to two bloody storylines! Sorry to break it to you, but Egwene breaking the White Tower and fixing it wasn't nearly as important as Perrin killing Slayer, or Mat winning the bloody LAST BATTLE! Also, Rand cannot be an oak tree. He completely rebuilds himself after Gathering Storm. Egwene is the most stubborn person imaginable.she broke the White Tower off of stubborness. I understand she is your favorite, but that doesn't make her Illeyna.

You can't boil down the series to two bloody storylines! Sorry to break it to you, but Egwene breaking the White Tower and fixing it wasn't nearly as important as Perrin killing Slayer, or Mat winning the bloody LAST BATTLE! Also, Rand cannot be an oak tree. He completely rebuilds himself after Gathering Storm. Egwene is the most stubborn person imaginable.she broke the White Tower off of stubborness. I understand she is your favorite, but that doesn't make her Illeyna.

Wait, are you really that upset at my response, or do you just love using exclamation points? 

Anyways, I took the liberty of bolding and underlining what I consider key portions of my response... So what you're trying to tell me is that if someone were to boil the series down to 2 major story lines it just couldn't happen. It's physically and mentally impossible.  :rolleyes:

BTW, Egwene isn't my favorite character Mat is...

Egwene is the most stubborn person imaginable.she broke the White Tower off of stubborness. I understand she is your favorite, but that doesn't make her Illeyna.

Ummm... Egwene didn't break the Tower. What series did YOU read? The Black Ajah, under guidance of Mesaana, did that.

Factors that can help determine any reborn::

-creature type

-linked to any soul or not

-channeler (learner/sparker) or non-channeler

-Hero or non-Hero

-occupation

The first 5 of those I take are always the same in rebirths; that 6th I take would be similar in rebirths.  All other things about a person/animal/creature/etc I take can change.

In this case, the only things we know of those 6 are gender and creature type; female, human.

Until we know the other 4 about Ilyena, all characters that fit the known seem equally likely to be Ilyena reborn.

Archived