DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Headcanons theme [are those allowed here?]

Mefista

- Rand is going to choose one of the three "wives" when he'll finish traveling and live with her, while occasionally paying visits to others

- There is a gene which accounts for ability to control channeling/Talents of others; sul'dam have it, but not fully expressed, that's why collars are needed. Myrddraal have this gene, too, and its expression+dark magic is what causes them to be what they are [as author said it wasn't the channeling gene that causes it]

- Using blood rings corrupts soul, so users get to be reborn as shadowspawn

- Draghkar are too dumb to even procreate on their own )

- Seanchan [continent] has quite a few magical anomalies, that's why they naturally have all those weird animals and no shadowspawn

- There are or were real literal dragons somewhere there [cause everything supernatural mentioned there always turned out to have some kind of real-life prototype]

- Myrddraal exist partially in reality and partially in dreamworld - that's why they don't dream

- Also D.O. intentionally made it so myrddraal, while not sterile, are mostly incapable of having children cause of their acidic sperm - he made so cause, for some random reason, having children will make them "mellow out" and become less useful for fighting [also why they are male-only]. But they still want to procreate, and feel like they are supposed to, that's why they are rapey

- Not all Fades are born perfect, and sometimes they have mutations like long ears, hooflegs, or other trolloc-y traits.Those imperfect ones are left at Shayol Ghul for work

- The last one about myrddraal: they are rather catlike in their mannerisms, but only when they are relaxed.Also, both trollocs and Fades love milk and steal it.

About Seanchan exotics; the guide tells that they are descendents of creatures from Portal Stone worlds.  During first millennium after the Breaking, channelers on that continent went to Portal Stone worlds and brought back those creatures.

the Blood Knives seem to affect only the wearer's blood; nothing more.

Rand and his 3 lovers; that last POV seemed to indicate that there would not be a stop to the traveling.  My guess would be that they would track him down.

I know that, but doubt they'll be able to bring here enough on their own to form a stable population.Do you think animals are going to randomly follow them?

Well,headcanons are headcanons)

The "three women sharing a man and not trying to kill eachother" thing is unrealistic to begin with; I just thought it probably should end more realistically.

The "three women sharing a man and not trying to kill eachother" thing is unrealistic to begin with; I just thought it probably should end more realistically.

Polyamory is a thing, you know. I know people who are in happy, functional poly relationships without anyone wanting to kill anyone.

• Rand riding off in the sunset unsure of which woman he loved more was his way of letting the reader decide for themselves who he would eventually end up with.

• I doubt that there is a channeling gene since channeling is linked to the soul. Granted there must be some kind of biological function otherwise they wouldn't burn themselves out due to over exertion.

• I think the Seanchan's weird animals were supposed to be like when sailors first began to explore and began discovering all the weird and odd animals that inhabit their world. For instance the Zebu is an odd looking cow that I am sure many people never knew existed.

Just a couple thoughts on your thoughts. Though if I had to pick which of the three Rand ends up with it would be Elayne.

BTW, anyone get amused at the people who were upset with Rand because they said he was a deadbeat dad because he left Elayne and the children?

Either way, the fact that all three are pregnant at the moment doesn't do him any good.

Eh,people here refer to the "channeling gene" periodically, I just went with it.

But those are too weird.

I'll pick Min)

Me)

I do not recall either author confirming Min pregnant.

All 3 I guess will have Rand.

Min & Aviendha would probably live with Elayne.  Elayne might periodically do visiting via Gateways.

They might wait till the babies are born before they start tracking Rand.

Min & Aviendha would probably live with Elayne.  Elayne might periodically do visiting via Gateways.

I thought Min was heading over to the Seanchan land with Mat and Tuon?

To be honest I see rands women doing more to keep the peace going than the agreement, Min can influence Fortuona away from war, Elaine leads Cairhein-Andor with support from the TR's and Saldaea through Perrin, and Avi is gaining position within the WO ranks

I thought Min was heading over to the Seanchan land with Mat and Tuon?

From what I skimmed of Memory of Light, there was nothing about that either way.

It might be awhile until Mat & Tuon go to the Seanchan continent.

I believe I nthe big white bog it said something about the Seanchan brought those exotic animals through the portal stones with the express purpose of killing off the shadow spawn.  Once the job was done they lost the ability to use the stones to send them back or just didn't want to.  Sort of like the Spanish bringing horses over to North America, once they were here they breed, some escaped and became wild etc.   Then so many were over here there was permenant horse population. 

I doubt Min has any plans to be Tuon's vision person forever.  My guess is out of the 3 women, she would be the one to follow and find Rand. 

The guide told probably about the exotics being against the shadowspawn.  It did not tell "definitely".

About the control of channelers/Talents; not sure about it being a gene.  It seems to me that both learners and sparkers have the ability.  Myrddraal having the ability seems doubtful to me.

Linking seems similar to this ability.

mb

Giving that atleast grolm are confirmed to come from "DO wiped everything" reality, they can have innate hatred of shadowspawn.

Maybe it's just the same thing expressed differently - damaged gene or something?

Myrddraal, I think, never try their abilities on humans, so we can't know what they can do for sure.

Er,maybe.But it's different

• 1 month later...

About myrddraal at Shayol Ghul for work; I recall only one myrddraal needing to be near Shayol Ghul.  Shaidar Haran.

And he seemed to be able to go anywhere early in the series.

- Rand is going to choose one of the three "wives" when he'll finish traveling and live with her, while occasionally paying visits to others

- There is a gene which accounts for ability to control channeling/Talents of others; sul'dam have it, but not fully expressed, that's why collars are needed. Myrddraal have this gene, too, and its expression+dark magic is what causes them to be what they are [as author said it wasn't the channeling gene that causes it]

- Using blood rings corrupts soul, so users get to be reborn as shadowspawn

- Draghkar are too dumb to even procreate on their own )

- Seanchan [continent] has quite a few magical anomalies, that's why they naturally have all those weird animals and no shadowspawn

- There are or were real literal dragons somewhere there [cause everything supernatural mentioned there always turned out to have some kind of real-life prototype]

- Myrddraal exist partially in reality and partially in dreamworld - that's why they don't dream

- Also D.O. intentionally made it so myrddraal, while not sterile, are mostly incapable of having children cause of their acidic sperm - he made so cause, for some random reason, having children will make them "mellow out" and become less useful for fighting [also why they are male-only]. But they still want to procreate, and feel like they are supposed to, that's why they are rapey

- Not all Fades are born perfect, and sometimes they have mutations like long ears, hooflegs, or other trolloc-y traits.Those imperfect ones are left at Shayol Ghul for work

- The last one about myrddraal: they are rather catlike in their mannerisms, but only when they are relaxed.Also, both trollocs and Fades love milk and steal it.

About Seanchan, the beasts were brought from portal stone worlds, AND were used to kill all the shadowspawn in their piece of the Blight.  That is why Tuon thinks Trollocks and such rumor, no one has seen them since the breaking, and there was another infusion of truth to those rumors and myths when Hawkwing's armies arrived with his heirs.

• 3 weeks later...

@Mefista: As a Shadowspawn enthusiast with more headcanon on the subject than anyone wants to know, I applaud you for this thread.

I say Dragkhar procreate on their own. How else would they still be around, centuries after the technology which created them is gone? They're not invincible like gholam and don't turn their victims into more of themselves like Darkhounds. Instead, I ponder other things like what they eat when not being sent to assassinate people and whether they could interbreed with humans.

I've long puzzled over "Myrddraal are not sterile but can't reproduce with humans or Trollocs" (and caused a few scandalized discussions of it here). Your explanation could work, though I like to think the possibility was just never proven to the experts.

Trolloc-ish Myrddraal mutants could indeed exist. Nice idea.

Yes, Myrddraal are rather catlike. Trollocs seem too big and noisy for stealing anything. Robbing people, maybe.

About trolloc souls being twisted human souls; somewhat recently skimmed through the scene.  I would count that as no more than speculation.

The Creator and the Dark One I guess would be the only ones that could manipulate souls; though the Dark One seems to be the only one that practices that ability.

• 2 weeks later...

@Mefista: As a Shadowspawn enthusiast with more headcanon on the subject than anyone wants to know, I applaud you for this thread.

thanks)

I say Dragkhar procreate on their own. How else would they still be around, centuries after the technology which created them is gone? They're not invincible like gholam and don't turn their victims into more of themselves like Darkhounds. Instead, I ponder other things like what they eat when not being sent to assassinate people and whether they could interbreed with humans.

that one was tongue-in-cheek mostly) I think they don't feed on souls only, so maybe they hunt? They can eat insects, being bat-ish.

Probably they can.

I've long puzzled over "Myrddraal are not sterile but can't reproduce with humans or Trollocs" (and caused a few scandalized discussions of it here). Your explanation could work, though I like to think the possibility was just never proven to the experts.

Actually it is stated somewhere in the out-book sources that there were...tests done, but either way, I think some kind of protective weave exists.Surely female Forsaken need to know something like that)))

Trolloc-ish Myrddraal mutants could indeed exist. Nice idea.

Thanks.I also think that people overseeing breeding process try to fix mutants, like cut too-long ears, remove extra fingers or something, and only if case is truly lost, myrddraal is labeled as work-only.

Yes, Myrddraal are rather catlike. Trollocs seem too big and noisy for stealing anything. Robbing people, maybe.

I wonder if they can purr XD

I meant not stealth kind of stealing, but "gonna take that random cow" one.Language barriers ><

About trolloc souls being twisted human souls; somewhat recently skimmed through the scene.  I would count that as no more than speculation.

well, I never said it was anything more than that

Archived