DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

In need of serious help

Naturalist

Alright so I am currently reading the series Song of Fire and Ice and love the world building and character development. I'm not going to be a fool and ask if the WoT series is similar to Martin's series because I know they are not. However, I come to you looking for an honest opinion. Should I start this series? I am not familiar with anything that regarding the WoT series. My concern is I need a series that leaves me thinking about it when I'm not reading. I need violence and other adult themes to keep my interest. I need main and important characters to die unexpectedly. 

From the little I know and rumors I've heard the book is humble boy chosen to save the world from some ultimate evil. Please tell me there is more to this series. What I love about Song of Ice & Fire does a great job at blurring the lines between the good and bad characters. 

I considered buying book one and reading it and making my decision at that point, however; with a series this epic I figured one book wouldn't provide me with a enough of the story to decide. I guess I am just hoping to hear if this series is a page turner and is so exciting you don't care when the book is 800+ pages.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Nat *whispers*  seeing i prefered ASOIAF... i can't really give u any advice

the best would be maybe to check out the first book and make an opinion for yourself.

Some books were better than others, and I still have not finished the serie. But i enjoy reading it.

Have you tried Malazan Book of the Fallen?

No I have not.

Thanks for the feed back everyone so far, based on the fact no one with answer my questions, I think I will have to pass on this series...seems the rumors are true and the story is average at best.

Average? Oh no, Wheel of Time is way above average. It's my absolute favorite series ever, no question. You should absolutely read Wheel of Time and are missing out on so much. 

And Wheel of Time has incredible world building and character development. I haven't read ASoIaF so I can't compare them, but from what I know about it, I don't think I'd like it, so maybe we have different tastes. A lot of people love both series, though. 

And yes, there is more to the story than a boy saving the world from ultimate evil (even though that is the main plot.) It has way more characters and plotlines and is really great. 

It's also very, very well-written. You'll probably enjoy it and I hope you'll consider changing your mind. 

I am also very disappointed in the other people who posted on this thread. 

its an odd question.

if you want to read a book you read it.

if you want to know what the fan base thinks you read any of a few thousand threads at a half dozen or so remaining active boards. or a few reviews on amazon.

it's safe to assume most of the people who post at Dragonmount like the series pretty well.

from the OP it appears you know exactly what kinds of books they are so there's not much more to be said.

carry on.

WoT doesn't have much in the sense of adult content like Song of Ice and Fire does. As far as mortality goes... I'm afraid you'll have to asses for yourself if the rate of death is up for your standards.

I do think it's a an excellent series of books that will stimulate your mind. Things are never as they seem, the books encompass an endless amount of characters, cultures, schemes, plots, adventures and so on.

With that said, as Cindy pointed out, we are obviously all WoT fans. So it would be extremly unlikely for us to advise anyone not to give this series a go ;)

Nyn

I understand you are all fans of WoT, that is WHY I came here. I was looking for opinions of those who enjoy the series and was hoping the questions in my original post would be answer. Based on what I listed of what I enjoy in a book, would WoT scratch that itch? It seems no at this point....

Does it leave you thinking about it when you aren't reading?

Absolutely. WoT is always on my mind.

Violence and other adult themes?

Wheel of Time definitely has plenty of violence, however if you really, really want sex scenes, you won't be interested....there is like 1 sex scene in the entire series and it is completely implied...not very "adult" in that sense. 

Main and important characters dying?

This one is a no, at least not until the last book. Very few important characters actually die in earlier books and when they do, they resurrect/their death gets undone because of balefire.

Hope that helped~

The series in my opinion is better than ASOIAF. Id rather watch game of thrones then read it. On the other hand when you read WOT it's almost as if you are in the series. Jordan skirts around adult content but doesn't ignore it. The characters, worlds, and cultures far out number the ones in game of thrones as well as the way they grow. rand for one changes into much more then a simple boy through it all, he changes alot. It's dramatic and thrilling and keeps your mind racing for more.There's violence everywhere you look if that's a factor.. 

i've read every book at least twice some as many as 5 times and it still takes me by surpise how much i love this series.. i still havent even finished book 4 of game of thrones.. frankly its just not one the same level as WOT.

p.s. While Eye of the World is a good book.. you should certainly get book two as well. That's where the story really starts to pick up and makes you and addict :)

hope this helps your decision!

If you want adult content the way Martin does it, then no, WoT is not for you. But there is violence, wars, rape, sex, mind rape, slavery, treason, politics, and a whole lots of other things. But alot of things are more implied than directly shown. The world is much bigger than Song of ice and fire, with alot more diffierent cultures. The main group is six persons, but there are thousands of named characters. You have an exciting magic system. A plot that spins around all over the world. I have read A song of ice and fire, and I love Wheel of Time more.

The series is not average at best. But, not everyone likes everything, so there is no guarantee you'll love it.

Thank you all for the latest posts. These have been much more helpful. I'm now considering picking up the first "box set" with the first 3 in the series now. And making my decision from there. Problem is I have a small back log : / so it might be a month or so before I get started.

If you're not hooked by the end of the first 3, you won't be.  Try not to judge it by the first book alone, though, because that is a bit more formulaic.  Once you get past the initial "hero's journey", the interesting bits of the world that was created in the first book open up to a much more complex plot.  

I love both WoT and ASoIaF.  I actually like ASoIaF better, but the social community here at Dragonmount makes me prefer hanging out here.  WoT is not as graphic, but the world is easy to be absorbed into.

Nat *whispers*  seeing i prefered ASOIAF... i can't really give u any advice

the best would be maybe to check out the first book and make an opinion for yourself.

Some books were better than others, and I still have not finished the serie. But i enjoy reading it.

Chae!!!! For shame!!!!  :tongue:

Definitely worth reading, man. You've got to! It's a must!  

Archived