DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Another newbie

Martok

Hey everyone!  Although I've not yet read the last three books, I'm a long-time fan of the series.  (As most of you can probably discern from my forum name, I'm a fan of various other sci-fi and fantasy works as well. :wink:

I'd always meant to seek out and join a WoT community like this one, but for some reason I'd not actually remembered to do so til now.  (Maybe I've been subconsciously worried about spoliers?  I dunno.)  Anyway, better late than never...I hope!  I'm looking forward to hanging out with you folks. 

Hello!!! Welcome to DM. Just a heads up, book spoilers can be anywhere now. Be careful so you don't get the last 3 books ruined for you.

I'm Ryrin, Sitter for the Green Ajah. I'd recommend the social groups. You can join as many as catch your interest. I'm in the White Tower and Warders and there are a lot more!

We also have a discussion forum and a role play area where you can create your own character in the WoT. Again spoilers can be everywhere!

If you have any questions, just ask.

• 3 weeks later...

A belated thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone!  They're much appreciated.

Who are your favourite WoT characters so far?

Argh, such a cruel question (and probably a dangerous one as well, not knowing which ones this community likes and doesn't like)!  :rolleyes:

Off the top of my head, I'd almost certainly have to say Loial tops my list (seriously, how could anyone not love the guy?), with Thom coming in a strong second place.  Other male characters that I particularly like include Lan (of course), Rhuarc, Gaul, and Bayle Domon.  For female characters, I've always liked Mistresses al'Vere and Luhan, Siuan Sanche and Leane, Verin, Moiraine (later on), along with Amys and (especially) Sorilea, although I like most of the Wise Ones in general. 

There's definitely other characters I'm forgetting, as it's been a long while since I last read the series.  (I'm taking steps to rectify that, though!) 

A belated thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone!  They're much appreciated.

Who are your favourite WoT characters so far?

Argh, such a cruel question (and probably a dangerous one as well, not knowing which ones this community likes and doesn't like)!  :rolleyes:

Off the top of my head, I'd almost certainly have to say Loial tops my list (seriously, how could anyone not love the guy?), with Thom coming in a strong second place.  Other male characters that I particularly like include Lan (of course), Rhuarc, Gaul, and Bayle Domon.  For female characters, I've always liked Mistresses al'Vere and Luhan, Siuan Sanche and Leane, Verin, Moiraine (later on), along with Amys and (especially) Sorilea, although I like most of the Wise Ones in general. 

There's definitely other characters I'm forgetting, as it's been a long while since I last read the series.  (I'm taking steps to rectify that, though!) 

Ha, there are enough people around here that you'll find most of the reasonable choices (and probably a lot of the less conventional choices as well) have their fans as well as... not-so-fans, so no fear on that account. x) Your choices are good, though!

Heh.  Thanks; good to know.  :smile: 

I just remembered a couple more (although I'm blanking out on their names atm):  Pedron Niall's spymaster (who eventually comes to work for Perrin), and that one scholar who calls Min "too pretty" (I was so sad when he was killed off). 

Oh yeah, and I can't believe I forgot to mention Birgitte before, as she's quite probably my single favorite female character in the entire series.  That woman simply rocks! 

Thanks Jak (love your handle, btw)! 

The question of villains is an especially difficult one for me, as honestly, I don't care for most of them. 

For as much as I love the WoT series overall, I feel most of the villains come across as either two-dimensional -- either in regards to intelligence (such as Elaida, who's so ridiculously short-sighted and single-minded, one wonders how she ever survived long enough to reach adulthood, much less attain the shawl), or in morality (such as most of the Forsaken, who generally seem to be evil just for the sake of being evil).  A small handful of others, such as Padan Fain, are at least somewhat more fleshed out, but still feel, well, lame (for lack of a better term) in a way I cant quite pinpoint. 

Of the Forsaken, only Asmodean, Demandred, Graendal, and Lanfear capture my interest:  Asmodean, mainly because of the conversations he and Rand have (also, I find the idea of an evil bard fascinating).  Demandred, both because of his motivation for turning to the Shadow (having been tired of always being second-best to Lews Therin) and because he seems to be among the most careful & capable of the thirteen.  Graendal, mostly just for the level of sheer outrageous hedonism she constantly displays.  Lanfear, because...well, if you're going to have a stalker, it might as well be a hot chick who wants to bed you all the time, yes?  :tongue:  More seriously, though, at least she (like Demandred) has an actual motive for having turned to the Shadow, albeit (also like Demandred) not a very good one.  ("Hey, I know how to win my ex back:  I'll turn evil, and then compel him to do the same!  Yeah, great plan!  What could go wrong?") 

All things considered, I'd probably say my favorite villain (or perhaps "antagonist" would be a better term) is Pedron Niall.  He was intelligent, reasonably fleshed-out, he (generally) acted out of the best of intentions, and wasn't evil.  I was actually a little sad when he died, and all the more because he did so less than halfway through the series -- would've loved to have seen him go longer. 

My least favorite villain?  Probably either Fain or Sevanna.  The former just eventually came off as full-on insane with almost no understandable motivations whatsoever, while the latter felt like she was nothing more than a chronic (and ultimately ineffective) schemer.  Bleh. 

Thanks!

Yeah, a couple of the forsaken were a bit two dimensional but I think that that was more because we just didn't go into them. I'm not sure I agree with you on some of this stuff but we'll save that for the discussion boards.  :wink:  I think we'll find that the villains are more than meets the eye. 

But you HAVE to come hang out with us in the social groups. I'm biased but come to The Band of the Red Hand.  :bandredhand: We'd love to have you and everyone in The Band is loads of fun! 

Yes, do check out the social groups! FYI, you cannot see lots of the forums in the White Tower and Warders until and if you decide to become a member. No limits on the number of groups you can join.

Believe me, I'm very much looking forward to joining the social groups.  However, I suspect I'm going to want to read/finish the series first if I wish to avoid spoilers.  Yes?  No?  (Remember, I've previously only read the books up through Knife of Dreams, and am only now starting to reread the entire series all the way through to include the Sanderson books as well.) 

I'm still on book 13 myself. Being around the social groups hasn't spoiled anything for me. And I've been stuck on book 13 for quite a while. I imagine the Discussions section of the site might harbor some spoilers, though.

Welcome to DM :)

Nyn

Thanks Nynaeve (or do you prefer Nyn?), that's good to know. 

The social groups do look/sound interesting, and I dislike the thought of staying away from them for however long it takes me to re-read the series (months, I'm sure) solely because I wish to avoid spoilers.  (And yes, I've already almost stumbled upon a couple spoilers in the general discussion section, ironically enough...) 

Of course, I'm still getting my feet wet here (there's an Aiel joke to be made there, I can feel it) and am in no rush to join a social group yet in any case, but it's reassuring to know I needn't constrain myself for that reason. 

Thanks Nynaeve (or do you prefer Nyn?), that's good to know. 

Either works.

I should add, though, that I'm not in all the social groups so I can't speak for all of them being spoiler free. As far as the White Tower and Shayol Ghul go, I haven't seen any spoilers. I rarely visit the Kin nowadays but i haven't seen it there either. But as far as the Wolfkin, Aiel, Black Tower and so on.... beats me.

Nyn

Archived