DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The dork and I

Leelou

But you and Verb are the same person, so your endorsement doesn't count. 

OMG no they aren't! Verbal is a hockey player and adorkable, Barm is a LARPer. 

I'm a what now? When did I start doing this?

Oh you know, that silly little thing where you play a soldier. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It saddens me that you can't tell the difference between larping and re-enacting. I suppose that is cause you are one of those mindless shadowspawn.

SHOTS FIRED

I would totally wear a Star Wars shirt out on a Saturday night.

You can wear mine anytime.

*obvious wink*

I might never give it back.

It saddens me that you can't tell the difference between larping and re-enacting. I suppose that is cause you are one of those mindless shadowspawn.

Re-enactment.  That's like LARPing for people with no imagination, right?

I can tell the difference, but you are still an adult man playing dress up and prancing around. You are role playing a battle, just not one with orcs and other fanciful creatures. And it is live, is it not? 

*stabs wombat*

well i saw larp fights and i have done re-enactment duels ... let's say that larp fights are for wussies lol :tongue:

*runs away before being stabbed*

Lol, well played, but no.

I can tell the difference, but you are still an adult man playing dress up and prancing around. You are role playing a battle, just not one with orcs and other fanciful creatures. And it is live, is it not? 

Ok, cause I want to, serious answer is serious. The primary reason for historical re-enacting is education, both for ourselves and for the general public. Aside from history itself (both event and cultural related) a bunch of things I can learn through the hobby are: Metal-working (a variety of options here, tinsmith, blacksmith, gunsmith, etc), leather-working, sewing, shoe making, etc. The point of re-enacting isn't to "dress up and prance around" (and frankly, we make fun of the people who like to prance) but to educate people. Although some events are private in order for us to train and make sure we look good in front of the public (and because running around shooting blanks at each other is in fact fun) most are done for the public (what I am guessing you mean by live). This is a great and interactive way to engage people with learning about their history, particularly those who would get bored reading about it or avoid the history channel, etc. Everything we do during the weekend is a show. Anything modern is well hidden because we don't want people to lose the illusion and engagement of feeling like they have traveled back in time (yeah that sounds a bit cheesy, but people actually do feel like they have). We often talk to people about the particular event we're putting on, things like the process of cleaning our muskets, what we're cooking and what historical recipes we might be using, all kinds of things.

Anyways, kinda rambly, but the point is - we do it to educate the world about a small piece of their history. We do enjoy it and learn many useful life skills ourselves, and it can be a great way to see friends that we haven't seen in a while. From a soldiering point of view when we're not doing scripted battles for the public the tactical fights actually have a great deal in common with paintball - a sport many re-enactors thoroughly enjoy.

Wow. Serious barm is worse than not-funny barm.

Nyn

Someday you're gonna come up with an insult towards me that isn't lame and... naw, who am I kidding? It would have happened by now.

Ok, cause I want to, serious answer is serious. The primary reason for historical re-enacting is education, both for ourselves and for the general public. Aside from history itself (both event and cultural related) a bunch of things I can learn through the hobby are: Metal-working (a variety of options here, tinsmith, blacksmith, gunsmith, etc), leather-working, sewing, shoe making, etc. The point of re-enacting isn't to "dress up and prance around" (and frankly, we make fun of the people who like to prance) but to educate people. Although some events are private in order for us to train and make sure we look good in front of the public (and because running around shooting blanks at each other is in fact fun) most are done for the public (what I am guessing you mean by live). This is a great and interactive way to engage people with learning about their history, particularly those who would get bored reading about it or avoid the history channel, etc. Everything we do during the weekend is a show. Anything modern is well hidden because we don't want people to lose the illusion and engagement of feeling like they have traveled back in time (yeah that sounds a bit cheesy, but people actually do feel like they have). We often talk to people about the particular event we're putting on, things like the process of cleaning our muskets, what we're cooking and what historical recipes we might be using, all kinds of things.

Anyways, kinda rambly, but the point is - we do it to educate the world about a small piece of their history. We do enjoy it and learn many useful life skills ourselves, and it can be a great way to see friends that we haven't seen in a while. From a soldiering point of view when we're not doing scripted battles for the public the tactical fights actually have a great deal in common with paintball - a sport many re-enactors thoroughly enjoy.

I love watching the civil war reenacters at the historical society here doing camp demos, cooking, doing daily living stuff.

I'm kind of hooked on frontier house stuffs too.

Sounds cool. Do we have anything like that here in Sweden? 

And btw, there is nothing wrong with LARP. *gets nostalgic*

Sounds cool. Do we have anything like that here in Sweden? 

And btw, there is nothing wrong with LARP. *gets nostalgic*

Yeah, though it isn't nearly as big in Sweden as it is elsewhere. I know there's a group in Umea that I've spoken to, but I haven't joined up at all.

Archived