DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

International Travel Tips

Sunrise Lord

that's always a plus!

as for the war, this wikipedia article holds a list of which countries lost how many lives in the war. My point is, it's always Americans demanding gratitude for them 'saving' us. That list shows how many countries were involved. America wasn't the ONLY one fighting that war. And just because you come in at the end of the ride, when everyone else is dead tired from fighting non-stop for years doesn't mean you get to walk away with all the credit or the monopoly on the gratitude. It is not that we don't want to be greatful, it is the constant reminder and demand for it that rubs us the wrong way.

As I said, be a graceful hero, not an obnoxious attention seeker.

And obviously, if this does not apply to you, then all the better. 50 years of experience with tourists however does provide for a common theme. I've had even very good and close friends of mine do it, without the intent of being rude and they are some of the most generous and aimiable people on the planet. And yet, they still did it without even realising that they did it. Being aware of your actions is the first step. When I pointed it out to them they all went 'oh.... wow. You're right. I didn't realise I did that'. And they genuinly didn't realise.

See, even the above part where you (Reki) went 'I don't know how long the UK would hold out' is loaded. 1. Why do you put all the eggs in only the UK basket? The entire world was fighting that war, not just the UK. 2. That sentence once again implies the US came in just in time to save us. We get our noses rubbed in that at every turn, in every discussion about this topic.

We realise that the intentions are well meant and that is why we generally only grit our teeth in silence, but it all does add up after 50 years of it. I'm sorry, but it does.
You never hear the Canadians, the Australians, the Dutch, the French, the Spanish, or any of the others douzains of countries go on about their part in the war. Never. It's always Americans bragging, demanding gratitude, rubbing noses in to it in order for them to look better. That is how it feels. How it comes across. And one of the things that contribute to the overall perception and it doesn't do you guys justice because as you say, this isn't how you truly are. But it is how you act.

*shrugs* Sorry, didn't mean to turn this thread in to a discussion about that..... LOL I won't continue on this topic anymore.

Sorry Sunrise!

Wear comfortable shoes and backpack.

Invest in a good reusable water bottle.

Don't be too shy (or proud) to ask for directions, and ask several people as you go in case one of them is wrong.

Make a budget and stick to it.

that depends where you are going. European countries are best late spring/summer time but African or Asian countries you may prefer outside of the rainy season (for Asia) or in late autumn/early spring for Africa.

It all depends on your own comfort level and where you are headed. Some people love it really really hot, so they can easily go to Africa in mid-summer while others don't like it hot at all which would make summer equal to hell for them.

Rainy season in Asia is extremely hot, extremely humid and extremely rainy.

Backpacks aren't that smart if you go to areas with a lot of pickpockets; you can't see your bag and they are very easy to steal from. I'd advice a messenger bag with a good, sturdy strap (nothing a pair of scissors or a knife can cut through easily) and wearing it across the body like this, and preferably keep a hand on it most of the time:

m61FisTVDYToq-JCOTCeMNA.jpg

It's what I do when I'm in London. I've got a bag from National Geographic and it's got zippers over all compartments so no-one can sneak a hand into it without having to open a zipper.

September can be so and so in London; we were there early september for our honeymoon and it was pretty gray the entire time. But again, you can never predict the weather there. September is usually beauuuuuuutiful in Norway :biggrin: It's probably a good time in most of Europe; the worst summer heat is going away, and autumn is coming but still comfortably warm. September is one of my favourite months.

dont reallly have much advice to givve, anytime i travel i go to a place wher i have friends and so theyy help me blend in, such as my brothr who lives in and knows quite lots abuot america, friends i have in scotland and germanny and romania, i think i might be makin a friend in cyprus so maybe ill go there somday, or else friends will go with me, nevre go on trips alone outside of the country. think the best adivce is dont look like a tourist and dont expect peple to speak yuor languge depending on wher you are. Im personally a lot less hostile to forigners when, besides thir accent, cant tell too much that theyy are tourists, like no stypid hat or fanny pack or visible camera, and they pass whatt i call the languge test - usually if one aproches me asking for something like directions, i will respond in Gaeilge for litle bit, and if thhey request politely if i know english and such insted of geting angry or conteptuous, i like them very much becuse shows they can respect th culture. Id also very much reserch the areas you plan to go to becuse some places in some countriess may not be very friendly or open to strangerss and it can even be downright dangerous. agin, having friends in the area helps wihh that a ton, saves the trouble. i usualy only travel in winter, befor or after holiday season, becuse then places i want to see may not be so crowdedd unless what i want to see, i really wantt to see in some other season like summer. I went to see the americann southwest in the summer becuse i really wanted to get the full hot desertai experince, was kind of horible since so hot but also very very diferent and invaluable becuse i had never experinced such temperature and sun before. i wouldnt mind living there at all if it was posible for me to take the sun withuot dying of skni cancer. i guess depends on what you wannt to see and doing research about whats it like in diferent seasons. 

Go light, really light, I managed a 3 week trip to Greece and Crete with only a small carry on bag. My best advice.  Take things that you can leave behind, lose, or give away.

Leave jewelry at home, If it's spring, summer or fall. take cotton clothes that can wash and dry easily.  Look at current local newspapers online to see how people are dressing in the country you are visiting.  Take your cues from

that. Bring a paperback book that can be read and left behind.  Pack a few plastic hooks that can go over doors to hang things up with and some long shoe laces that can be used in oh so many unexpected ways. (leave behind)

Find out a little about their music, their famous authors, their language and their history. Take a Sunday and go to a local church for a service, it's a fantastic way of meeting people in the community.  Most importantly learn how to say "Please" and "Thank You" and then ask for help in pronouncing it correctly. Plan, expect the unexpected and roll with the many things that just don't go according to the plan. Be a gracious guest!  Happy Trails, I'm off to Pontos in a few months for a dance workshop!

• 3 weeks later...

Packing light is good if you're going to be traveling a lot within the county/countries your in plus more room for gifts and souvenirs on the way back :)

A must is a second pair of sneakers. If it rains your shoes will end up stinking if they don't have time to dry and if you only have one pair you're kinda stuck with that. This is personal experience talking, I had to throw mine out while abroad. So smelly! lol

Ask for the taxi price before you get in, Mexico at least is notorious for gouging when you go to get out of the cab. Also have a rough idea of the direction you should be going that way you know if you're getting there . Keep a business card or something of your residence, if you change hotels a lot its possible to mix up the address when talking to a cab driver, also worst case, just show it to them if they don't speak the same language.

Keep a copy of passports and other identification in an uber safe compartment. ie the safe in a hotel or the deepest most inner pocket of you day bag. If you're originals get stolen having the copies will make getting home easier. 

Depending on your bank they can make the money exchange for you and save you a bunch in fees if you give them enough notice. I know Chase does not sure about others.

Jet lag is unavoidable but you can minimize it by staying awake if you get there during the day otherwise you're body will try not to let you adjust if you go to bed as soon as you get there. Same with arriving at night try to go to sleep or at least do a low key activity.

Last have fun and take loads of pictures! 

Archived