DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The White/Brown Ajah Winter Olympic Carnival: How much do you know about Sochi, Russia?

kukasö

It's good you didn't do very good or it wouldn't be interesting to tell you about it  :tongue:

About the theatres :smile:

There are two of them:

Winter theatre

zt.jpg

Summer theatre 

sochi_summer_theatre.jpg

In both theatres usually perform not only local artists but lots of theatres and artists from other places, especially in Summer.

There are several concert halls in Sochi too.

I'll begin with historical part.

The area of Sochi became a part of Russia after Russian-Turkish war in 1828-1829. Sochi itself was founded as fort of Alexandria in 1838. And it got the name Sochi in 1896 after the name of the river it's situated on.

The region is multicultural: Russian, Armenian, Georgian, Greek cultures mix there.

Did anyone get it right? :biggrin:

I'll begin with historical part.

The area of Sochi became a part of Russia after Russian-Turkish war in 1828-1829. Sochi itself was founded as fort of Alexandria in 1838. And it got the name Sochi in 1896 after the name of the river it's situated on.

The region is multicultural: Russian, Armenian, Georgian, Greek cultures mix there.

Did anyone get it right? :biggrin:

And Bulgarian and Russian Histories are so close! I am ashamed of myself. I got the multicultural question from those + 1 more :blush:

Greeks are like that sail here and there :laugh:

Seriously there are ruins of Greek cities all around the Black sea. And as I understand Greeks lived in Sochi area before others came.

LOL....this is true. My friend in Athens is always on a boat!

It's very interesting for me to put Greeks and Russians together. That was not a combo I would have ever thought of on my own. Looking at the map now I can see how that would have been easy for them. It's really not that far!

Cindy, I don't think that really was why they have chosen Sochi. Though Russians decided to organize the Games there for the same reason why it's multicultural because it's a very popular place :happy:

It's the most popular Russian resort actually.

And here we come to the next question about the climate. There is Subtropical climate in Sochi. Logical, isn't it? :biggrin:

Cindy, that's why you can't back to page one :tongue:

Charis, I've learned a lot myself :biggrin:

Well, next question is about the length of Sochi. It claims to be the second longest city in the world after Mexico City. 

Some resources tell it's 146 km long. But others say that it's the wrong way to measure the city(along the coast) and it's really only 105 km. But it's still very long comparing with it's size.

Did anybody get it right? :smile:

We have already found out there is Subtropical climate in Sochi. Now we also know that tea is grown there. No coconuts  :unsure:

The other questions are more about Olympics in general. 

Probably most of you know that Olympics were only once in Russia and they were Summer Games.

Archived