DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gray Ajah Thanksgiving Dinner: Favorite Foods and Traditions

Gudrean

ThanksgivingHeader2013_2_zpsb173dc21.jpg

Welcome All 

As you may have noticed we here at the Gray Ajah have a love of sharing our ideas about cooking, crafting and just plain love to celebrate all that makes life enjoyable!!!  So join us in exploring all the yummy foods and fun traditions that are Thanksgiving.

I personally LOVE all the food, decorations and nummies. So please help me fill this thread with pictures of fav foods and stories of traditions, old and new, and any fun/neat crafts you have done or would like to do.

sweet-potato-casserole_zps5f41b7e8.jpg

one of my favs is sweet potato souffle!!

treats_zps80fcb12f.jpg

My idea of a yummy craft =)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love making different things with pumpin.

I make a pumpkin chocktaw cake - it has a little cocoa in it. Supper yummy. And I make a pumpkin custard like thing that always ends up tasting like pumpkin pie without a crust. I always have to experiment with ways to do traditional foods gluten free. 

My favorite Thanksgiving craft - My students make fall crayon resist paintings of trees, with the sunset colors in the back, using a black crayon for the tree and landscape. 

I also love to have kids make Thanksgiving acrostic poems telling what they are thankful for. 

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but when we have a family gathering, my aunt and I love maling some appetiser that look like chicken and gcould easily be transformed into a turkey.

You need mashed potatoes (well-mashed but not fluid) - you create two balls of it, just like a snowman - one is small for the head and the other bigger for the body. The body-ball you could elongate a bit.You attach the two parts together using thin toothpicks.We use a redd bell-pepper to carve out the beak,wattle and comb. Now,tobecome a turkey, you could use some thin carots,sliced in sticks,cucumbers, etc, soit gets more colourful. My young cousins love those and they are easily made -boil and mash the potatoes and voila! :smile:

It should look something like this:

kartofeni_pilentsa.jpg

Wow Aida those sound so yummy I love pumpkin stuffs  :tongue:

Ryrin, what kinda stuff do you do with cranberry sauce?

Love the hand print turkeys too Cindy!! Are you making a big dinner this year?  King Kong huh? Hmmm maybe a new tradition to start?

rolling coins? did you get to keep the rolls afterwards?

Theo, those are cute and fun!! Where are you from, just curious about everyone's location =)

Oh and Hi Via *waves*

**Snugglehugs everyone**  One of the things I am greatful/thankful for this year is ALL OF YOU!!  :wub:

Gud, (is this the proper way of calling you?) I am from Bulgaria -That is Eastern Europe and I have only seen Thanksgiving traditions and food only on the TV :biggrin: but I know what it is all about. I study in the UK now, there are Americans in the campus but nobody has ever invited me to a traditional family Thanksgiving dinner. So I'll follow this thread and learn :smile:

The mashed potatoes whose pic you posted are the right consistence for the small potato chicks to be made of.

My sister put in a request for rouladins this year but my dad nixed the idea.  He's not big on beef (hard for him to chew, I think; he's stubborn about getting his teeth checked if he's having a problem).  So my mom will make a few  for my sister and I'll either slow cook a turkey or my hubby will try out the hand-me-down turkey fryer we have.  We haven't tested it yet so I'm a bit leery about using it until we check it all out and make sure it's still safe to use.  The slow cook turkey recipe is to die for!  The turkey turns out so moist and tender.  I also make a squash casserole that I've been making for the family for decades.  I got the recipe from an elderly neighbor when I was a preteen (I used to hang out with her a lot; she was awesome!) and have been making it ever since.  My mom cooks potatoes and my dad mashes them.  My sister makes green bean casserole.  I made garlic-cheese biscuits.  I may make cornbread this year, too. I found a recipe that is almost like cake!  And my boys ate it like it was cake . . . LOL!

And let's not forget the pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream . . .  *drools*

Love the hand print turkeys too Cindy!! Are you making a big dinner this year?  King Kong huh? Hmmm maybe a new tradition to start?

rolling coins? did you get to keep the rolls afterwards?

I'm not sure who's cooking on thanksgiving this year. my friends will be home on the actual day and so will I, but if they're having anyone over I'll most likely take, or keep, a plate, and not go for the meal. I'll cook the bird feast many times over the winter this :happy: I love cooking the bird feast.

yup, me and whichever cousins were at aunt blanches split the bounty. she saved pennies and a few nickels and dimes all year for the occasion, and it kept us happily occupied until the carb overload knocked us out.

My sister put in a request for rouladins this year but my dad nixed the idea.  He's not big on beef (hard for him to chew, I think; he's stubborn about getting his teeth checked if he's having a problem).  So my mom will make a few  for my sister and I'll either slow cook a turkey or my hubby will try out the hand-me-down turkey fryer we have.  We haven't tested it yet so I'm a bit leery about using it until we check it all out and make sure it's still safe to use.  The slow cook turkey recipe is to die for!  The turkey turns out so moist and tender.  I also make a squash casserole that I've been making for the family for decades.  I got the recipe from an elderly neighbor when I was a preteen (I used to hang out with her a lot; she was awesome!) and have been making it ever since.  My mom cooks potatoes and my dad mashes them.  My sister makes green bean casserole.  I made garlic-cheese biscuits.  I may make cornbread this year, too. I found a recipe that is almost like cake!  And my boys ate it like it was cake . . . LOL!

And let's not forget the pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream . . .  *drools*

share dem recipes Dar? sounds yummers

We never get to have Thanksgiving Dinner on that day because everyone in my house works at Walmart, so....we all know how that works. lol

BUT...we will have it a few days before or after. In my opinion, why wait until Thanksgiving to make grand, lavish pants-bursting dinners? 

For our dinner, we usually get a small turkey and I'll stuff it with oranges and greens. We make candied yams with marshmallow topping, fresh 

green beans, corn on the cob and gourmet potatoes. My fiancee makes a homemade pumpkin cake, complete with homemade cream cheese 

icing. We'll have sweet tea and coffee, and we break out the antique, hand-painted china. His uncle usually comes in and brings his kids, who 

also bring different foods. His uncle will bring fresh bread....and he will make the BEST meatballs with chili sauce and grape jelly. I also make a 

cranberry salad (and of course, we'll have the jellied cranberries too). 

The very best part of the dinner, the part that everyone waits for and we always have to make plenty off it because it doesn't matter how stuffed you

get, you always want me...

Fried Dressing. 

Yes, fried dressing. We don't use our dressing to stuff the turkey and we don't bake it either. We mix it up and patty it out and fry it on a cast iron griddle. 

It comes out crunchy on the outside and nice and soft on the inside. It is hardly good for you, but hey...it is Thanksgiving. We know we shouldn't pig out

like that, but I suppose once a year isn't too bad. 

We will sit around and talk over coffee and cake and whatever other desserts we wind up with that day, the kids play and we watch a game of ball. It really is

a fun day. :smile:  

I love turkey. The same aunt usually makes it every year. Love the stuffing and the cranberry jelly to go with it. So good. As I'm Canadian though, that was in October and I missed it again this year! Ah well...

I just had Goose in Austria last weekend though and that was REALLY great. Made me think of Thanksgiving a lot. Think I enjoyed the goose even more than the turkey, except stuffing and family were missing :wink:

And potatoes and other great things at Thanksgiving... Awww if I wasn't so full right now I'd really want some Turkey...

Recently we also started playing a game where we all pick a painted egg and need to knock our eggs with the person next to us. The first to break or crack of the two is out. Then we keep going till the end. Winner gets good luck :wink: And keeps the egg :smile:

have seen a couple of references to chocktaw cake, what is it?

It is like a pumpkin bread cake baked in a bundt pan, and it has cocoa in it. The recipe calls for a simple powdered sugar icing, but I always just dust it with a little powdered sugar since it's pretty sweet by itself. Super easy to make - I can  put the recipe up here if people want it. I know I put it up with the Ogier, and I think also in the recipe book somewhere in the hall... *goes off to look for it*

We also always serve home made tamales and green chile - we are from a southern area of Colorado and there is a heavy hispanic influence in the foods here, and it wouldn't be thanksgiving at my house without Tamales! I know I am probably crazy, but our home made tamales and green chile are the best. There isn't anywhere around that serves Pueblo Mexican food like here. It isn't quite like traditional mexican, or spanish, and it isn't like New Mexico or Arizona's either. Even in Colorado, Pueblo has its own brand of "mexican food". It's the best!

share dem recipes Dar? sounds yummers

oh please share! I have never had a squash casserole, but I love squash!

My family is just my mother and father... so our turkey day is pretty small and relaxed :) Lots of games, and videos... fun stuff :smile:

What is the funniest experience you have had on Thanksgiving/Holiday?

The first turkey i ever cooked right after moving out of my Mom's turned out beautiful and golden!! Only problem was I neglected to remove the bag of extra parts out of the inside of the bird.....bwahahahaha   :laugh:

everyone ate it anyways and said it was good  :tongue:

Thanksgiving is about Family first in my house. As my family seems to be getting smaller with the loss of so many loved ones through the years I try very hard to make it special. 

We always have turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, glazed carrots, dinner rolls, fruit and marshmallow salad, and gelled cranberry sauce.

DSC02782_zpsd61355ed.jpg

DSC02774_zps8cd38f8a.jpg

My son likes to decorate...

DSC02784_zps198625c8.jpg

Home made pumpkin pie for dessert! 

DSC02785_zps0de75ea2.jpg

Archived