DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

November Discussion: Holiday Disasters (Family Style)

Moon Sedai

It's November, time when we Americans get ready for a holiday that centers around giving thanks for what we have, while simultaneously making us hate every single person in our family.

You know what I'm talking about, Thanksgiving. 
The whole family is there. moms, dads, grandparents, cousins, weird uncles, crazy aunts, everyone. And personalities crash galore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9EFYnOSCjE

Yeah. Like Chandler Bing and stuff.

This month, let's talk about the BAD things that happen during the holidays or family gatherings. Anyone you wanna strangle, every year? Any family member who makes a fool of themself like clockwork? Any bad holiday stories? Share them!

Mine first: about three years ago, I managed to swing thanksgiving off, so we traveled up the hour to see his family for thanksgiving, only to get there and find out that my mother-in-law had decided to make a crown roast instead of a turkey.

Which would have been okay, except every single thing that was a part of the meal, except the pumpkin pie I brought, had Onions in it. 

The crown roast? Soaking in onions. The beans? the stuffing? everything had onions in it. 

I freaking HATE onions like Demandred hates Al'Thor 

The sweet potatoes were onion free, but filled with Pecans, which I don't like either. 

I left the meal starving.

Another year, I had to work on thanksgiving morning, but we were gathering that evening. 
Or so we were told; we arrived at the family meal to find that all the food was gone. They decided to dig in about an hour before they said we would. 

Another starving turkey day. 

i have an aunt who loves starting fights with everyone, she's 31 and acts like a spoiler 12 year old brat, always ends up leaving crying and hurting almost everyone, i feel sorry for her husband, oh and lunch is never on time, ive come to expect that....

This year just got easy...

THANKSGIVING will be here soon, and The (place I work at) will continue its tradition of providing fully cooked Thanksgiving Turkeys. The turkeys will feed eight adults and includes a 12-pound roasted turkey with delicious home-made stuffing, mashed potatoes, two vegetables, cranberry sauce and a delicious apple pie for dessert.

I gets a free Turkey Dinner! No cooking for me! 

• 2 weeks later...

until just recently I had spent the last 6 years living alone in remote areas so I never was too big in holidays and social gatherings. But there used to be this bar I would go to in a very small town for thanksgivings - it was an old wooden square building, probably a hundred years old (almost like a barn from a cowboy western movie), in a remote area in the mountains. you go inside and you definitely thought you had gone back in time to to a western movie. it was just a few locals who who would go hang out there. but every thanksgiving the owners would cook a giant homemade thanksgiving meal and serve it to the small group of 5 - 10 of us or so who would hang out there. however, this year I am living in the city now (just moved here a few months ago and I'm still not used to being around the people yet) so I'll have to find something new to do this year for thanksgiving. i'm sure we can stir up some mayhem though : )

Archived