DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Band members and their martial art training

Sherper

I personally studied both Krav Maga and Aikido for a few years, Aikido because my parents sort of forced me, and Krav cause I later did some research of what I wanted to do.

Anyway, write about your previous experiences, training, thoughts etc.

I posted a little essay I wrote for one of my Senseis about a comparison between Aikido and Krav Maga over at the warder's barracks if you wanted to check that out too.

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/85201-a-compative-study-between-the-difference-of-aikido-and-krav-maga/?p=3048995

In either case. Talk!

*Pulls up a chair and waits*

when attacked i either drop to the ground or kick. hard.

both work.

they're more instinct than training tho.

i suppose if i had time to load i'd shoot but i'm most likely to have a cast iron pan or marble rolling pin to hand.

they tried to teach me krav maga in high school. the instructor, frustrated with my refusal to defend, yelled at me to fight. i misheard that as bite. they let me sit out the rest of the class.

^not sure if I'm supposed to laugh or not.

In RL I'm probably the least violent person I know :dry: as a kid I was bigger than pretty much everyone else (including most of the teachers) so learned to avoid situations rather than 'fight', especially since I grew up in a quiet place.  I've never had any training of any sort but probably like Cindy would kick, or if I'm somewhere I'm not sure of there's this trick with a set of keys I read about (of course I have no idea how effective it would be, but it sounds good).

Honestly, wouldn't even know how to shoot a gun/check safety or anything.

UK has a general no gun policy, when I say I know nothing about guns I'm not kidding!  I want to laugh because it's the opposite of what would happen to me. 

You know in volleyball classes when they're trying to get you to spike they always say 'imagine it's your maths teacher', except my maths teacher was my Dad and we had  a great relationship, so...

I was taughht how to wrestle, learndd barehandded boxing partly from being taught and partlly from just firsthand experience, and I was taughtt something of how to fight with some systematisation with a club, no formal name to it, while growing up. As adult, I have learned how to do all kicks and blocks from tae kwon do and some hap ki do techniques involvin grappling from my brother who is some degree of black belt in either, and he showd me a bit how to spar with the kicks and blocks, so while its nothng formal, I dont realy know much of any forms, but I know somethinng of how to fight in that style, and he also taught me some killing techniques from kuntao which he is currently learning - Im still waitin for a chance to actualy try them lol

I grew up in a kung fu school - they did San Soo, and I know that the person that trained me was trained by a kung fu monk from China. We learned some weapons, like philipino sticks, and some Aikido and other stuff when we would have guest instructors for intense workshops.

I was taughht how to wrestle, learndd barehandded boxing partly from being taught and partlly from just firsthand experience, and I was taughtt something of how to fight with some systematisation with a club, no formal name to it, while growing up. As adult, I have learned how to do all kicks and blocks from tae kwon do and some hap ki do techniques involvin grappling from my brother who is some degree of black belt in either, and he showd me a bit how to spar with the kicks and blocks, so while its nothng formal, I dont realy know much of any forms, but I know somethinng of how to fight in that style, and he also taught me some killing techniques from kuntao which he is currently learning - Im still waitin for a chance to actualy try them lol

I swear Tal...each time I see you, I am more impressed and surprised.  The purple bolded - you're Irish...it's in your blood.  *winks*  My father was the same way

I am of the clueless, clumsy class.  I can not for the life of me follow anyone in instruction.  Meaning I can't even do tv aerobics...you go left, I go right.  You kick, I punch.  Sad..

The Marines have their own system of martial arts called MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) or more commonly known throughout the ranks as MC-Fu or MC-Ninja :biggrin:

Anyway, it's basically a bunch of different fundamentals/techniques that are mashed together. The main principle is to be able to defend yourself in a close quarters situation and to dispatch your adversary in order to retrieve your weapon in the event that you were disarmed. It's a mixture of strikes (punched and kicks), joint manipulations, ground fighting, restraints and techniques with knifes or batons. Think MMA with a little bit of police training and you've basically got the gist.

The program is based on 5 basic belt levels: tan, gray, green, brown and black. There are also a few advanced levels of black belt, but I won't get into that. I personally after 5 years have made it up to brown.

I swear Tal...each time I see you, I am more impressed and surprised.  The purple bolded - you're Irish...it's in your blood.  *winks*  My father was the same way

I am of the clueless, clumsy class.  I can not for the life of me follow anyone in instruction.  Meaning I can't even do tv aerobics...you go left, I go right.  You kick, I punch.  Sad..

lol I dont do it much anymoer unles someone chalenges me to a fight and setts that as condition, only boxing - it feels verry stiff next to the arts my brother has shownn me, and I find I am much moer likely to win in any fight with bigger oponent when i fight with tae kwon do/hap ki do because most peple dont know how to fight with and defennd kicks to any efective degree besids they defintly dont expect all th diferent wrist, arm, and leg manipulatons of hap ki do. Even when I do boxing thuogh Ive mostly taken up doing at least th blocks and some of th hand strikes my brother taught me and ki-hap; feels like I have so much moer power when I do that, its incredible, and it unnerves an oponent who isnt used to vocalisation in fighting. People say I sound like a chimp when fightingg...I think its compliment becuse chimps eat peoples faces off and such lol.

I think its easier to folow physical instructions when you have good reflexes and/or strength to begin with; I pickd up what my brothre was telling me prety easily becuse Ive always been very physicaly active so once I learnd the proper technique, somthing like jumping front snap kick or tornado kick was no problem. Since Ive gotten sick thuogh Ive lost lot of coordination and strength and even at beter of times I cuoldnt realy do any kicks, so I know it wil take lot of training and practice besids physcal therapy to gett back where I was.

does getting gang bashed in kindergarten and then fighting my way thru school count?  I learned to fight the hard way    by having to do it.  no style no training  just life.

Must be doing something right cause i dont lose.

I will cheat tho   tried to smack a mates head into a fire extinguisher when we were 10.

That reminded me of the time back when I was still in kindee (back when I was still in China).
I had this guy that really enjoyed picking on me once, and it got to a point where I got so fed up with him I pushed him down a flight of stairs.

He had to get stitches between his nose and his mouth, having to look like Hitler for the rest of the month. xD

Good times.

If it helps dear one, I can't see anything so i'm useless that way. I would love to learn how to use a pair of Sai's but alas. :(

A little bit of a lot of things. A couple of years of formal training in ninjutsu. Done some Silat, boxing and kick boxing and a lil jujitsu.

Always remember what my first Sensi said, If you can walk away do it, if not go for the jewels! 

does getting gang bashed in kindergarten and then fighting my way thru school count?  I learned to fight the hard way    by having to do it.  no style no training  just life.

Must be doing something right cause i dont lose.

I will cheat tho   tried to smack a mates head into a fire extinguisher when we were 10.

I don't think anything like  the jewels, or a fire extinguisher, are cheating. A fight is a fight - the aren't fair in general. Especially when they aren't in a ring refereed during a set match. The kind of kung fu I learned - san soo - is what Jackie Chan does. It uses surroundings. what can be found can be a weapon. My SiFu (I might have spelled that wrong) always taught us to run away, if we couldn't run away we take them out. Completely. The first thing little kids are taught are what they need to know if someone tried to grab them - kick, yell fire, poke their eyes with your thumbs and squeeze their head. His granddaughter was actually kidnapped here last year, and she escaped on her own and was rescued.  I am sure it's because she knew what to do. If its a real fight, you just need to survive, and there probably isn't anything I wouldn't do to survive. 

Not really martial arts, in fact not at all martial arts, but meh.  I remember these adverts coming out a few years ago...

How many can you see?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyTVt299NP8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEW6tBGc38M

I counted five for both scenes, but to be fair. A few of the targets were practically hidden out of visual range and field of view.

Making really loud noises and acting like you're half mad is actually a viable tactic. 90% of all bullies or street tufts don't actually want to pick a fight, and will most likely scurry off in the opposite direction if you act wildly enough.

Hmm I don't really know any self defense thingies.... :p I still wrestled with my brothers and only won by use of dirty tricks, hehehe. But my bro's best mate showed us how to do the judo-flip-thingy, and I learnt how to catch a punch and bend the assailant's arm back into a half-Nelson in the same motion.

Other than that..... I'm more of a long-distance person? I'm a pretty fair shot at both archery and guns...

Ooo! Oo! ...Does wildly galloping a horse yelling "FORTH EORLINGAAAAAS" at the top of my voice count? :biggrin:

Eeeehehehe Brid you're not alone. You should have seen me in zumba. *groan*

Always remember what my first Sensi said, If you can walk away do it, if not go for the jewels! 

:myrddraal:

Making really loud noises and acting like you're half mad is actually a viable tactic. 90% of all bullies or street tufts don't actually want to pick a fight, and will most likely scurry off in the opposite direction if you act wildly enough.

^s'truth, same goes for if you're attacked/ambushed by someone, I've been told several times. If you make enough racket chances are they'll let off you sharpish.

I can almost always talk my way out of a situation like that, but there have been a few instances that the person just wanted 

a fight and I was more than happy to oblige.

First and foremost, I grew up with two brothers who liked to torment me so I learned early how to brawl. I was also a tomboy

growing up. I only had one or two friends that were girls and I rarely went to hang out with them. I stayed with the guys and 

played football after school, and if anything in this world can teach a person to fight it is the politics of after school football

with the guys (American Football, btw). You started arguing over first down, then things get more heated and pretty soon 

you're in an all out war over what is going on. You think hockey has some good fights? Try playing ball with the guys I went 

to school with. (Good times. **grin** I miss those idiots something fierce.)

Anyway, I took some sort of karate with the Marines when I was 12, I think. It was some free thing that they were doing in the next

town over, but I only got to do it for a year because they just quit. Lack of community interest or something. I was disappointed. 

(And I wonder where my love of the Corp comes from. **laugh**)  Later on, I took a little Judo because I'm sort of on the smallish

side and I was told that it was perfect for us "altiudely deprived" people.  Of course, once I started it I had to leave because we moved.

It is kind of funny to see a 5'4" girl throw a 6"2" man like a rag doll.  Judo was fun. I learned a little Karate from my Step-Uncle who taught,

but by then I was going to school full time, working and teaching night school ROTC drill and ceremony...plus I had rifle team. I didn't have 

the time to keep it up. 

Then came the Army, where, I have to end this with: I was trained to fight. And fix tanks. I can fight, and I can fix (and drive) anything the 

mechanized Cav wants to give me to play with. 

Archived