DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask Me Anything

JenniferL

I haven't done one of these in awhile and it feels sort of overdue. You can ask me anything about WoT, DM, JordanCon, myself, etc. I reserve the right to not answer something or to answer in a way that only amuses myself. 

And go. 

In case anyone new is wondering, here's what Barm is talking about. http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/49294-hey-look-im-writing-something/

I will probably never finish this. It encapsulates a certain mood and tone of what the community was like (at least from my perspective) several years ago. To continue, I'd either have to keep making jokes that are now out of date or start referencing new things, which doesn't fit the current tone and cast of characters. Plus, a good chuck of the folks I was parodying in it are no longer active in the community, so it feels weird to write about people who will probably never read it. It's the difference between making a joke WITH someone and making it ABOUT someone. So if I ever get struck by inspiration again, it'll be an all new story. 

Incidentally, I was blatantly ripping off another piece of forum fanfic when I wrote this. "The Cracked Conspiracy" is the same kind of murder mystery plot, just focused around the community on the Pointless Waste of Time forums. I'm in it, as a badass warrior woman, wearing "shining metal pants" and giving hand jobs in the back of a van.  It's all very funny, but I particularly like The Fields of Distraction. http://www.cracked.com/forums/index.php?topic=35696.msg1037086#msg1037086

• 3 weeks later...

Boxers or Briefs?

All I'll say, is that I better be wearing SOMETHING down there. One of my students was laying on the floor to work today and he kissed my shin as I walked past him. We may need to talk about appropriate ways to to show affection to a teacher when you're a sixth grader this week. 

When you first joined DM did you ever think this is where you'd eventually get to?

Not really. At that point in the fandom, message board communities were popping up like mushrooms after a rainstorm. They'd last a week or two, then everyone would get bored and wander back to their home communities. (Mine was www.wheeloftime.com) People were really excited to talk about the books, but there were already a couple core places to discuss the series. The difference with Dragonmount is that Jason was really willing to take ideas and throw em at the wall to see what would stick. He had a core vision (which we aren't too far off from, even 15 years later and all the changes in technology. Who could have predicted Facebook or Twitter? Hell, even Google didn't exist yet.), but was willing to try anything once. So not only did we have discussion, but the community discussion and the roleplaying, and I think that's what made the difference. We've always had a lot of different things for different people. 

Can I have a raise?

Actually, my real question is, did you ever meet RJ, and if so what was it like?

Yes. 

I did meet him twice. The first time was in 2002 when he was on tour for WINTERS HEART. He had a rare stop in Atlanta and we went to the signing and got everything signed. I told him about the track at Dragon*Con and how much we'd like to see him there and he corrected my pronunciation of Amyrlin. The second time was Dragon*Con 2005 when he was the Author Guest of Honor. I got to spend a lot of time with him that weekend. Jordan is a hard person to describe. I feel like I know him better in his death, through descriptions from his friends and family. Around fans like me, Jordan was pretty formal. He's from an older generation where authors didn't really have much to do with their fans beyond answering the occasional fan letter, so I think the level of attention and adulation we wanted to throw at him confused him. I always got the impression that he appreciated us, but just wanted to be left alone in his office with Harriet and his notes. 

I always wonder what he would have thought about JordanCon. 

Patrick Rothfuss. Oh wait...

The authors I'd really like to host are George RR Martin, John Scalzi, NK Jemisin and Lois McMaster Bujold. All of them are fiendish difficult to schedule though. 

As far as artists go, I'd love to have Todd Lockwood, Dan Dos Santos, or Jason Chan. 

if you could be an animal, what would you be and why?

also

if you could have any superpower (only one mind you)  what would it be, how would you use it, and why that power?

oh and

Marvel  (Iron Man or Captain America) or DC (Superman or Batman)?

if you could be an animal, what would you be and why?

also

if you could have any superpower (only one mind you)  what would it be, how would you use it, and why that power?

oh and

Marvel  (Iron Man or Captain America) or DC (Superman or Batman)?

A panda, because they are god's laziest creatures, yet everyone loves them. Seriously, they won't even screw to save their own species, yet we adore them beyond all reason. 

Not sure what super power I'd like. Probably something that helps keep my class glued to their chairs and quiet for at least ten minutes. 

I love what Marvel is doing with their movie/TV show franchise. It seems like such a slam dunk right now to have all the movies overlap, but the Marvel Cinematic Universe was crazy talk when they first proposed it. It could have been a series of terrible, big budget flops, but instead we got some really fun, well made popcorn movies. They took a big risk and it paid off in big ways. So I love Marvel for that. 

However, the Batman movies Chris Nolan made with Christian Bale are the closest to pure art that I've ever seen a comic book movie go. I react to them on an emotional level that I never will for Ironman, or Captain America. 

I don't actually read comics. 

What happened to Mary aka Soraya? I miss her. *sulks*

She got married and had a baby. She's on FB, I'll hook you up with her. I bet she'd like to hear from you. 

Dan Dos Santos is a very nice man, I've emailed with him a little bit this summer. It would be so cool to see him (and the other artists) at JordanCon.

Who's your favourite WoT characters?

Whats your favourite flower?

Do you like cooking?

If I wanna give you a hug at JCon, will you let me? (I'll be coming aaaaaall the way from Norway ;) )

My favorite characters are Egwene, Nynaeve and Mat. Love reading their chapters. There aren't any I really hate, except for an occasional annoyance with Perrin. 

My favorite flower is roses. I try to be traditional about things like that to make it easy on my husband. 

I do like cooking! If you look in my signature, there's a link to my blog where I write about food a couple times a week. I create a lot of my own recipes and I'm thinking about self publishing a cook book some day. Recently I've been cooking lots of soups since it's getting cool here in Georgia. I made beef and mushroom stew, cheddar beer soup and kale and sausage soup this week. I've also been baking rye bread and pumpkin muffins (Sometimes at the same time...). We're having a Halloween party on Saturday and I'll be making gingersnaps, pumpkin bread and caramel sauce to dip apples in. I love cooking, especially baking. I find it very therapeutic after a busy day at school. Its nice to be able to let everything else go and just focus on chopping and peeling. 

Please do hug me! I look forward to meeting you!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived