DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who does Rand end up with?

Claw Assassin

I always hoped he'd end up with just Min. I hated Elayne and she really had the least claim on him, and Ahvienda (sp) a close second, but to me Min was a real woman who stuck with him through everything

I really agree, Min was there through the capture, afterwards, and after what Semirhage made him do...

To be fair to Elayne and Aviendha, they both wanted to be with him but had other very important responsibilities which they had to deal with.  Just as Rand couldn't shirk his responsibilities to be with them.  Min didn't have anywhere else she needed to be or anything she had to do, so she was able to be without Rand without compromising anything.

I hate the idea that after all theyve been through, Min forgoes a simple life of wandering with Rand to trying to fix the whole Seanchan way of life when she barely knows them from Adam. That is totally un-Min. Not to mention that she has a normal lifespan, unlike the other two ladies. The rest of them can spend the next century together after doing their duties, but Min doesnt have that option.

@rhienne,

"so she was able to be without rand without compromising anything".

you've lost me here.

you left me puzzled,did you mean to write "with rand"?

Yes, I did mean 'with Rand' - sorry!

I hate the idea that after all theyve been through, Min forgoes a simple life of wandering with Rand to trying to fix the whole Seanchan way of life when she barely knows them from Adam. That is totally un-Min. Not to mention that she has a normal lifespan, unlike the other two ladies. The rest of them can spend the next century together after doing their duties, but Min doesnt have that option.

It is kind of un-Min, and the whole thing with her becoming a Doomseer/Truthspeaker seemed like it came out of left field; it seemed a bit too late in the game to be making changes in character direction like this.  However, in a way I like the idea that Min now has an important role and something to do.  It would be nice to see her have some goals that are independent from her relationship with Rand.  I got a bit fed up of seeing Min's entire plot be driven by her relationship in the second half of the series.  it would be nice to see her strike out on her own a little.

@rhienne,

"so she was able to be without rand without compromising anything".

you've lost me here.

you left me puzzled,did you mean to write "with rand"?

Yes, I did mean 'with Rand' - sorry!

It is kind of un-Min, and the whole thing with her becoming a Doomseer/Truthspeaker seemed like it came out of left field; it seemed a bit too late in the game to be making changes in character direction like this.  However, in a way I like the idea that Min now has an important role and something to do.  It would be nice to see her have some goals that are independent from her relationship with Rand.  I got a bit fed up of seeing Min's entire plot be driven by her relationship in the second half of the series.  it would be nice to see her strike out on her own a little.

I agree, I thought Min and her abilities and down to Earth attitude the perfect thing to temper the Seanchan and Tuon, and a welcome relief for Mat as his place within the Seanchan and the huge cultural differences between them would have made it hard for him to find companionship and a decent conversation of an evening. They think he's mental, and he thinks the same of them. Personally I quite liked the way the love quadrangle worked out, was intrigued by Aiel customs...

@cotillion,

in a different thread one poster wrote:"min loved rand the best,not the most but the best".

i completely agree.

let me state for the record that i don't hate elayne(far from it to be honest) and certainly

not aviendha,but in my opinion,min was the best one for rand.

i do hope...no,scratch that,i pray that min would leave the seanchan empress and her lunatic

court to rot and do another disappearing act.

like mbuehner said,a simple life of wandering with rand would be the perfect antidote for the

previous three grueling years.

back to you claw assassin,you started this thread,so let me give you a glimpse of rand's state

of mind seconds before the very end:

"which would he pick?min..but no,to leave aviendha?elayne.no.he laughed.he couldn't pick.he had

three women in love with him,light,man,you're hopeless.hopelessly in love with all three and there's

no way out of it."

Tbh, i don't really see how and why she would go back to the retarded Seanchan court, considering Rand is well and alive. It's totally un-Min to do so, she also stated that they're all insane and she needs to get away from them asap. It is my impression that she agreed to stay only for duration of the LB, to ensure everything would go as smooth as possible between AS and the Lunatic Empress. To go back for her doesn't make any sense imo. Her feelings for Rand are well known, and either of them couldn't find a better life partner for each other, so after all they've been through to go back to deal with those Seanchans instead of reuniting with Rand? Yea, right. Mat can deal with whole Seanchan vs Randland dealio, it's his job. 

The way I see it the pattern brought three women to The Dragon Reborn, one for companionship and two for breeding purposes.  I know it may seem crass but that is pretty much how things played out.  Min is the only one of the three who ever served as a legitimate significant other to Rand, while the other two only showed up for the occasional booty-call.  Anyone who has ever been in a relationship can see that Min is the only one who has really stood the test of time while Elayne and Avi really have not spent enough time with Rand to truly say if it is love of just infatuation that they feel for him.  Essentially, I think that for whatever reason the pattern needs Rand to have descendants among both the Aiel and the wetlander royalty for the 4th age to progress as intended, thus Elayne and Avi develop their love/infatuation with Rand in order to assure that this will happen.  Much as a ta'veran looses his ta'varaness once his purpose is served I imagine that over time Elayne and Avi's romantic love for Rand will fade (they were more in love with each other than the ever were with Rand anyway) leaving only Rand's true sole mate, Min.

Well, for that matter, i don't think Min could do much better or more in this scenario. Besides, Cadsuane is not traumatized by damani experience like Egwene, she's experienced, reasonable and have this elder/wise thing going on about her, so it actually might go better with her there instead of young, stubborn and hotheaded Egwene. 

The way I see it the pattern brought three women to The Dragon Reborn, one for companionship and two for breeding purposes.  I know it may seem crass but that is pretty much how things played out.  Min is the only one of the three who ever served as a legitimate significant other to Rand, while the other two only showed up for the occasional booty-call.  Anyone who has ever been in a relationship can see that Min is the only one who has really stood the test of time while Elayne and Avi really have not spent enough time with Rand to truly say if it is love of just infatuation that they feel for him.  Essentially, I think that for whatever reason the pattern needs Rand to have descendants among both the Aiel and the wetlander royalty for the 4th age to progress as intended, thus Elayne and Avi develop their love/infatuation with Rand in order to assure that this will happen.  Much as a ta'veran looses his ta'varaness once his purpose is served I imagine that over time Elayne and Avi's romantic love for Rand will fade (they were more in love with each other than the ever were with Rand anyway) leaving only Rand's true sole mate, Min.

I don't think that is really being fair to Avi.  She did spend a lot tme with Rand trying to teach him the Aiel ways.  I would actaully go as far as saying that Avi got to know Rand better before they had any sexual relations.  I will agree that Min probably knows Rand the best, but I wouldn't group Avi and Elayne in the same group.  From my point of view, Avi knows Rand a lot better than Elayne.

This just gave me an odd thought...  What if Min does stay with the Seanchan and eventually has a Moriden/Rand child?  Then, the Dragon would have descendants (in influential positions at that!) in each of three most powerful nations in the world.

Otherwise, as pertaining to this topic, yes.  Min is the one I always envisioned ending up with Rand in the long run.  The others have their strengths, but don't strike me as a good match for his personality.  In other words:  I foresee fewer tense situations in Rand's household with Min at his side, than any of the other girls.

This just gave me an odd thought...  What if Min does stay with the Seanchan and eventually has a Moriden/Rand child?  Then, the Dragon would have descendants (in influential positions at that!) in each of three most powerful nations in the world.

Otherwise, as pertaining to this topic, yes.  Min is the one I always envisioned ending up with Rand in the long run.  The others have their strengths, but don't strike me as a good match for his personality.  In other words:  I foresee fewer tense situations in Rand's household with Min at his side, than any of the other girls.

Or what is Min is already pregnant?  Interesting idea about Rand also have descendants among the Seanchan nobility.

Or what is Min is already pregnant?  Interesting idea about Rand also have descendants among the Seanchan nobility.

Doubtful. She uses heartleaf to prevent that. Though I wouldn't really be all that surprised if she changed her mind right before the Last Battle, seeing as she thought Rand was going to die and all.

You know pretty much from EOTW that he ends up with elayne, min, AND aviendha. Min sees a vision of Rand with 3 people. As the series goes on it comes to be blatantly obvious who those three are and the whole point of the three of them trying to get to know each other is that they all know they have to share Rand. There's no concept of choosing between the 3 ever in the books.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived