DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

News of Past Lives (Closed RP)

Quibby

Renalie rubbed at her eyes sleepily. She did not know what time it was, other than the crack of sunlight she'd seen dimly through the curtains when she'd woken momentarily earlier was now a bright shaft of sunlight filling the room. I'm in daddy's room. He did want me after all! Fingers gripped the edge of her blanket and tired eyes peered curiously about the room, showing objects strange to her. It was a wonder she'd slept so well in the alien bed, but tiredness had surpassed her and she did not even remember falling asleep. Renalie smiled at the thought of seeing her father again. What would he do with her today? Would he play with her? Devoutly, she hoped that he wouldn't introduce her to that nasty woman again. Her stomach growled at her, reminding her that she had not eaten in a long time since picking at the meal given to her last night, and she pushed the covers back, intent on finding something to eat.

"Commander!" Shaking his head angrily, Mehrin looked up from the cot he had brought into his office, a quiet glare on his face. "How many times must I tell you not to call me that?" The man who had addressed him stepped into the office, revealing the messenger that he had sent to Lugard. He didn't look happy to be there. It took a moment for Mehrin to pick up on the two most important issues at hand... The man had brought back the money that Mehrin had sent, and his letter was in hand, still sealed. Sitting up, Mehrin asked quietly, "What's going on?" His tone seemed to carry more than what Mehrin had intended, and the messenger backed away from him a few steps before speaking.

Moments later, Mehrin was trudging through the streets of the Citadel, fixed on getting back to his room and to Renalie. To Renalie, especially. He felt as if somebody had hit him in the guts with a forge hammer. Light, how am I going to tell her? Arriving back at his room, Mehrin reached to open the door, only to have it wrenched away from his grip. Surprise altered the sick look that had been on his face moments before as he saw his daughter's face beaming up at him. "Umm... Renalie? We need to talk," Mehrin said unsteadily.

"Talk, daddy? What do we need to talk about?" Oh, no ... was he going to tell her that she couldn't stay here after all? Did that serious look on his face mean that she was to pack her meagre possessions and would likely be riding back to Lugard as soon as he could usher her out of the door? It was not fair! Sitting on the edge of the bed, Renalie swung her legs, staring intently at her toenails. "I'm hungry, daddy, can I have something to eat first?"

As Renalie sat on the bed, Mehrin took the only chair in the room and pulled it close to his daughter. "Don't worry about it. If I know the people who send my breakfast every day, they'll be bringing food pretty soon." Delaying the inevitable, are we? Mehrin thought irritably. Unconsciously, Mehrin's hand slowly reached out and encircled his daughter's. Just say it, already! Clearing his throat, Mehrin started, "I sent a messenger to Lugard with a note for your mother, telling her that you were okay."

Mehrin's voice cracked as he spoke. Light, why was he feeling so hurt by this? There was a brief pause before Mehrin continued. "He brought back the letter, unopened, and ..." Drawing a deep breath, Mehrin let it out. "Renalie, there was an attack of some sort in Lugard..." "... that I'm looking into, but Ana was... your mother... she..." She's dead! Why can't you say it? Not letting go of Renalie's hand, Mehrin rested his head in the other hand and said in a hoarse whisper, "Light, I'm sorry."

"You're sorry, daddy? What are you sorry for?" There had been an attack on their home and her father was sorry? Was it that bad that she couldn't go home because the bad people had burnt their house to the ground? If so, that was easily remedied and they would simply rebuild. Renalie saw the look on her father's face and it dawned on her that it might be more serious than that. What had happened? Was her mother dead? No! I'll never see her again! Slowly dawning realisation gave way to something else ... something deeper. Tears started to roll from the corners of her eyes down cheeks as Renalie realised the full extent of why her father was here. Her appetite was completely gone, even the mere thought of food was enough to make her feel sick to her stomach. "Daddy…? Please tell me she's alright."

At his daughter's question, tears that Mehrin had been fighting slowly began to win. From beneath his shadowed eyes, a solitary drop fell to the floor. "She was... caught in the... middle of it. She's gone." Light, I've brought her nothing but pain, and now she's trapped here! Mehrin didn't even notice the occasional sob that was escaping from him. She was gone. He had hoped to bring her here, to maybe rebuild what had been destroyed. All for nothing. Another tear fell to the dusty floor.

She could not control her tears. Her father was also crying, confirming the horrid news that she had not wanted in her heart to acknowledge. Her mother was ... dead! Renalie shook with wave after wave of tears as they flew through her. There was so much sadness, and so much grief. So many tears spilt, almost as many as blood. Oh, mother! Renalie thought, weeping tears so much it made her want to run and hide. Maybe she could go back to Lugard and try and find her! There was always a possibility she was still alive! Still shaking with tears, Renalie flew across the room towards Mehrin; arms outstretched as she latched onto him and held him tightly. "Daddy..." Barely intelligible words came from her mouth, nothing more would issue except sobs. "It's not fair."

Wrapping his arms tightly around his daughter, Mehrin held her, his grief and hers shared. "I know it's not. She did nothing to earn the fate she did." There were already Banders in Lugard investigating just what had happened, as well as taking care of what needed to be done with Ana.

Shaking, Renalie poured her grief out onto her daddy’s shoulder. Her mother had done nothing wrong, why had she had to … die?