DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

BATE: Travel Tunes!

The Bard Babe

Hiya everyone! Sorry for the belated beginning of this thread, but believe me, it's going to be more than made up for in content :p

So, I love going on trips, touring, holidaying, gallivanting off to far off and fantastic places to absorb all sorts of new experiences, see new sights, immerse myself in new cultures and languages, and of course, make new friends. And, my personal favourite, discovering new music!

The majority of the music I find on trips away is buskers. Outside of my homeland, I will stop and watch a busker perform for however long they decide to play. I love listening to buskers. The gypsy bands, the nine year old violinists, the singers, the accordions, they are the key into the culture and into the music of a new land. Maybe it's just my musician's bias, but I can't be the only one that has stood in awe of a busker in a foreign land. Tell me your favourite busker that you have ever come across! Mine have to be, in no particular order:

1. An accordionist and singer that wandered up and down the train in Paris when I was ten.

2. A dulcimer player and a madly skilled double bassist playing awesome gypsy music I walked past in Munich last March.

3. An operatic trio with the most beautiful voices I have ever heard, which was in...Nuernberg, I believe, last July.

TELL ME YOURS!!!!!!!!!

Then the next kind of travel tune, I find, is the new music you discover through friends and shows and whatnot whilst on holiday. Surprisingly, I haven't discovered much new music this way, but my favourite of that which I have was this wonderful, amazingly/irritatingly catchy song which I found on some kind of ad in Germany:

However, as we all well know, not all of a trip can be spent all starry eyed, taking ridiculous photos in front of statues and buying expensive tickets to cheesy, but incredibly desirable and unavoidable attractions. A lot of the time we spend on holiday is spent in travel between our brand new worlds, on buses and planes, in trains and cars. 

And I don't know about you, but I spend this time listening to music. I have playlists devoted to travel. There are those moments when you want to get to sleep, and those times when you just want to sing and be as hyperactive as humanly possible.

So, now it is time for you to help me make a list! Your favourite travel tunes! That is, tunes related to travel, or, if you have some, songs that you listen to whilst travelling.

1. Travelling Song-Passenger

2. Going North-Missy Higgins

So, if you've made it this far down the page, you have to respond!!  Your favourite buskers, your favourite tunes you've picked up overseas and your favourite travel tunes!  And of course, any other fantastical musical travelling experience is welcome in this thread   ;)

Raaaaarrr!!! Guess you have first dibs on Passenger and Missy though :tongue: Those two are definitely in my top 10 list of travelling songs!

Hmm, I love listening to music whenever I'm on a trip, in fact I do little else...not much of a sleeper on rides, and my earphones barely leave my head :p  I haven't really made playlists for travelling songs, but I do like relatable songs that intensify that feeling of going places! Or that recall memories from trips and so on...

Buskersss..... oooh, I recently saw one with a xylophone type thing and he was playing Let Her Go on it!!!! It was amazing!!! But I usually am hurtling from one place to the other so don't have much time to listen to people playing - must rectify this! But it's awesome, and I wish I was good enough to do busking myself XD

:/ I did so much travelling to and fro growing up, I don't really know where I picked up music XD does NZ count, it's overseas now! :P Ah, a mixture of english and german music I guess. See following! :D

Oldies!!!! Seriously - the best travelling songs have GOT to be these. (I managed to cut it down to a short-ish list, but will bombard ya with many more on demand... XD I grew up on these and I adoooore them! XD)
My absolute favourites (several of I can play on le guitar):
City Of New Orleans (train rides!!!)
Leaving On A Jetplane

All My Lovin' - Beatles
Land Down Under (Men At Work)

500 Miles (Proclaimers)

WALKING IN MEMPHIS!!!!!!!!!! *LKJDHSFGDFenthusiasticexclamationofobsessivejoy* LOOOVE.

And ENGLISHMAN IN NEW YORK!! Omg!

Sweet Home Alabama
Wild Rover

Summer Of '69 (Bryan Adams)

Riding In My Car (Woody Guthrie) hehehheeheeee

Time Of My Life - Patrick Swayze/Dirty Dancing soundtrack :p

There's a couple that have a special place in my heart because the whole family used to sing these on our long car rides which was AWESOME. Country Roads Take Me Home by John Denver is such an example, my Dad even changed the lyrics to fit our NZ valley... XD
Rattlin' Bog was always a fav, my littlest bro and I used to have competitions who could sing it fastest! And for some reason, The Last Unicorn (from the film of the same name) .... I guess cos I was in love with the song and always started singing it until everyone joined in, hehehe.

And the tape deck full of Chris De Burgh songs. ESPECIALLY The Getaway. And Don't Pay The Ferryman. And Revolution. It couldn't be missing on any trip or Mom and I would be very.... disgruntled :tongue:

...also..... BB, you have no idea how much the Fliegerlied made me laugh. You know Donikkl und die Weißwürschtl!!!! BAHAHA XD

errhem. Onto the more contemporary music I listen to on travels these days....well, basically I just shuffle everything thats on my phone, which iiiis....a lot of Passenger and Missy obvs, so I won't go into them XD.... although - just one, promise - Steer is such a great freedom song, it's just so...liberating :p and anyway, this has got to be the Bavarian answer to Steer XD Fliang (Bavarian for fliegen/flying) by Claudia Koreck;

bit of a weird video, but eh.

Two more of her's are good travelling material too; Barfuaß um die Welt (barefoot around the world), and I Wui Weg (I wanna go/get [away])

...should stop babbling now...

OH!!!! and just these as well... I leave you with two Disney travelling songs I am IN LOVE WITH:

My favorite busker was when I went back to visit family for a few days. We were walking through town in the middle of the afternoon and he was playing some crowd-pleasing pop type stuff, perfectly acceptable and he was really good, guitar in hand.

Later on, about  6 so not very many people around at all we were walking back and he was playing 'Tribute' by Tenacious D. He finished and packed his stuff up and left. I liked to think that he was saving that for the last song before he went home because it was something he really wanted to sing but not something that he thought would make him money!

I don't have single songs...I have whole bands mostly....

Nirvana

Green Day

Arch Enemy

Alice in Chains

System of a Down

Jane's Addiction

Violent Femmes

Creedence Clearwater Revival

The Beatles

Janis Joplin

a little bit of Grateful Dead

Adele

Rolling Stones

Pink Floyd

and there is plenty more where that all came from. ;)

Aww Via, that's so cool! I do that when I busk with my quartet  :p  We save the Can-Can and the elevator music for the end   :p

I m ashamed to say that I don't know much Bob Dylan, Cindy. I must rectify that!

Nya, that chick's awesome, I really like her!  That's a fearsome list of songs. XD    And yeah, I claimed the Missy and Passenger    :p  DISNEY!!! I agree with both of those songs, but I haven't seen Pocohontas...*runs away before Nya and AH see that bit*

Xylophone busker!!! Schweeet, that's cool XD   We will be stopping to listen to many, many buskers on our trip, btw.  *nodnod*

All My Lovin' - Beatles
Land Down Under (Men At Work)

500 Miles (Proclaimers)

Sweet Home Alabama

Summer Of '69 (Bryan Adams)

Riding In My Car (Woody Guthrie) hehehheeheeee

Time Of My Life - Patrick Swayze/Dirty Dancing soundtrack :p

^^ epic approval ^^   XD

Aha!!! I remember what I know Chris DeBurgh from now. Spaceman Came Travelling XD Yay for Christmas songs.   :p

Hiya tonnalea! Welcome to the thread!

Nirvana

Green Day

The Beatles

Adele

Rolling Stones

Pink Floyd

Good choices. I like them.     :)   I'm approving of all the Beatles here!!

I also listen a lot to Sigur Ros for sleeping purposes, sometimes with some Unthanks or Bon Iver thrown in, and Disney playlists and of course, my entire library of musicals on shuffle for fun singing times.

Nya, that chick's awesome, I really like her!  That's a fearsome list of songs. XD    And yeah, I claimed the Missy and Passenger    :p  DISNEY!!! I agree with both of those songs, but I haven't seen Pocohontas...*runs away before Nya and AH see that bit*

WHUT.ISTHIS!!!! *screeches and faints*

Xylophone busker!!! Schweeet, that's cool XD   We will be stopping to listen to many, many buskers on our trip, btw.  *nodnod*

Ok. *noddity* :)

AND POCAHONTAS. I WILL MAKE YOU!!! *scowl* :tongue:

Of course, when you're traveling...but not really because you're stuck at the longest stop light in the world, I suggest singing to 

yourself....

"We all live in a yellow submarine....."

Oh Lord.... my brothers ADOOORED that song when we were all little, and they sung it AAALL the time on car rides (and whenever else) and..... *squeak* XD I'm not saying I don't like it, but tooooo muuuch!! It really gets stuck in your head :p

...thanks for that :laugh:

The wheels on the bus go round and rooooound...

..........No.

MY HEAD.

Round and round, aaaall daaaay looooooong...

When I am riding in a car on a long trip, I tend to listen to the Stones a bit. I also like Creedence Clearwater Revival for trips.

I've heard so much of the Rolling Stones, but never really got the chance to listen to their stuff much... reccomend me a good Stones journey song?? :D

Oooo! That reminds me!!! I went through this Clannad phase for...a feeeew years XD ...still love them, but here's one of my favourites by them, and it's kinda a marching homeward song that's totally a travelling tune :DD

(It's called Journey's End, and I'm mad cos it won't load the video here in Germany for me.... rrrr.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=029nEnkC5ok&list=PL236567930F04C0E8

a good stones... song...

any album... all of them... from say 66 though mmmmm 78

yes, buy them, line them up, and listen

or just get exile on Main Street, let it bleed, beggars banquet, sticky fingers, between the buttons, love you live, um...

yeah, no you need all of them

midnight rambler is a nice travel song. wholesome.

sympathy for the devil but be careful.

still not on desktop but honkey tonk women, the single version, the one you know, not the country honk from the album... caused two of my car accidents.

the stones start talking about that gin soaked bar room queen in Memphis, my foot hits the gas, my eyes go all glaze, my brain slides into the hey heheh hmmmmm naughty place and boom goes the car and next thing I know I'm scrambling to make sure I'm presentable for the kindly inevitable police officer.

ayup. stones and cars. good times.

I listen to audiobooks when I travel, too, cause after a while music grinds my brain too much.

yeah I think this is my problem too.

I don't listen to audio books though as I have a tendancy to drift away for like 20-30 seconds every so often and that can lead to "WHAT?" moments when trying to listen to a book  :laugh:

But if I do listen to music it's normally really cheesey rubbishy music  :laugh: The cheeseyer the better  :wub:

I drive for a living so spend a good amount of time in a truck. Unfortunately the stereo doesn't work too good and CDs and big rigs don't exactly mix for some reason. So I have burned a load of my CDs. unfortunately some are missing. For driving I live to keepit upbeat and fun. I find myself listening to a fair amount of Eagles songs. But I just put my phone mp3 on all songs repeat shuffle and let it go. If I don't like what is on for that time, then just FF to the next one... much better than trying to fiddle with the radio or paying for satellite radio service.   

Archived