DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Discussion – Craig’s list/Ebay – Dope or Nope?

LilyElizabeth

• Club Leader

Have you ever bought anything from Craig’s list or Ebay? Did you have a good experience? Or was it a nightmare? If you haven’t, is there a reason you haven’t? Something holding you back? Tell us your experiences, your thoughts, and your feelings on the subject. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Personally, all I've ever gotten from Craig's list was a puppy. She's amazingly awesome! So, I'd have to say I've only had a good experience so far. 

I did peek at the personal ads, but they scared me off. 

I find the whole idea of an internet garage sale where you can't touch the items you are buying and have no idea how they were used very very very creepy...I won't shop a t second hand stores for the same reason. Clothes are especially bad. I just can't help but wonder if they were a dead person's clothes... And I have seen way to much Haunted Collector to pick up knickknacks at such a place...

I've sold things on Craigslist but not bought.  I sold two phones, a couch, dresser, bed, and other stuff.  I always had my sister or someone there with me though because I wanted to be on the safe side.

I have no qualms against second hand stores or garage sales though.  I grew up getting clothes and books from them and I love the one a block from my house.  Books for 88 cents and they always have specials like half price, buy one get one, quarter day, etc.

I've bought tons of stuff from Ebay, but it's all been new items though. Everything from my husband's wedding suit to socks. I always go for sellers with a good rating, and that combined with Ebay's buyer protection makes me feel safe.

Never been on Craigslist before now; it's not really used here, we have a site that's the same but purely Norwegian called Finn.no (it means "find"). I've given away and sold several pieces of furniture there, and a few electronic items, and bought a few things (a used Macbook, and a used Nikon D80 camera). I don't really buy used clothing and stuff like that though; mostly because I'm super picky and my kind of items never showes up in used clothing-places, lol.

• Club Leader

I'm the same way with clothing. Because I live in Arizona, where it's super hot, I try to stick with cotton fabrics, and I can't stand tops that are tight over the....... twins. And then on the bottom, I have really long legs, and it's hard to find any pants but jeans that are long enough. In other words, I HAVE to try stuff on. 

I have the same clothing issue in reverse. I am petite and finding pants that are short enough, but fit my hips is a nightmare. I finally found this awesome store called Vanity that sizes women's clothing like men (waist size then inseam size). They are heaven sent.

I'm the same way Maurelle.  I'm so short that even petitte is long on me. :P  We are allowed to wear capris at work... only I can't find any short enough.  They all fit me like high waters.  I bought a few pairs of long shorts but apparently they have to be at least past the knees so I can only wear one of those to work.

When I manage to find jeans or pants that are short enough I have a gap at the back.  It sucks.

Well for me it's both that I'm particular about fit, plus the fact that I tend to dress more gothic/alternative. Not in the "wearing corsets and velvet dresses"-kinda way; more casual, I like my clothing simple but with cool details (like a bit of lace, or brass buttons, or ribbons, or subtle prints and stuff). It's really hard to find and my wardrobe is a mix of the big gothic labels and clothing from H&M and things I've modified slightly myself. My favourite outfit nowadays is a black capri leggins from Neccessary Evil, paired with a completly simple black long tanktop from H&M (long enough to cover my bum thank you very much... Leggings are not pants! Cover that tush!). So yeah. Finding my kind of style second hand = impossible more or less.

• Club Leader

LMAO I totally agree that leggings are not pants. I have a pair of black ones with lace at the bottoms, but it's hard to find a top long enough to wear with them, other than T-shirts and I don't do T-shirts because the neckline bothers me. 

In order to not look even shorter I have to wear long tops and the whole miniskirt thing is out the window. Not to mention that I'm big chested enough that I can't go out without some kind of bra on, so wearing most of those maxi dresses or dresses without straps... Winter is so my season.

Almost everything I've bought off of Ebay has been awesome. Cellphones, my wedding dress (the designer's store is hosted on ebay), my nook.

I've sold stuff too, usually things that are no longer being used in our house. 

LMAO I totally agree that leggings are not pants. I have a pair of black ones with lace at the bottoms, but it's hard to find a top long enough to wear with them, other than T-shirts and I don't do T-shirts because the neckline bothers me. 

H&M honey! I buy all my long tops there. They have several kinds of tanks tops and tees that I would almost rather call "very simple fitted dresses"; they go halfway down my thigh and I'm 5'7".

Like this: http://www.hm.com/no/product/96773?article=96773-C and this: http://www.hm.com/no/product/99167?article=99167-A The last one I have in black and olive green and it's almost all I wear now during summer!

• Club Leader

I don't usually buy clothing online at all, because I don't want the hassle of shipping it back. I'll do Walmart.com and Kmart.com, although Kmart's shipping is high. But I won't shop at a site where I can't take things back to an actual store, if something is wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived