DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gray Ajah Midsummer Festival: Midsummer Recipe Contest

Mirshann Uuranor

MidsummerRecipeContest_banner.jpg

Welcome to the Midsummer Festival and the Midsummer Recipe Contest! :biggrin:

Here is how this works. :smile:

• Anyone can participate by posting a recipe of their choice here in on this thread.
  • Entries are open from now until 10:00 p.m. (my time zone, which is U.S. Central Standard time) on the evening of Friday, June 14th.
  • After the entry period ends on the 14th, a voting thread will open that will include all entered recipes.
  • The voting thread will close at 12 noon (U.S. Central Standard time again)
  • The owner(s) of the recipe(s) that get the most votes during the voting period will be awarded a prize sig with their name on it on the last day of the Midsummer Festival, Sunday, June 16th.

So enter away, everyone! I can't wait to see what you all decide to share this year! :biggrin:
Good luck to all who enter!

I made this yesterday for dessert. it was easy and quick to put together and made old people smile and sing and chatter like children.

.... I'll cut down the caffeine next time

(can we enter more than one recipe? I... may have a recipe posting problem...)

ice cream trifle

I used coffee as the base, but... it's a trifle, you can change what you want.

started with a thin layer of sliced angel food cake, soaked it with strong espresso and good whiskey. the bottom layer was the only one where I filled in the center hole cause I wanted more room for ice cream through the middle.

spread on a thick layer of good coffee ice cream

sprinkled heavily with chopped Heath bars

spread a thick layer of chocolate whipped cream. sprayed really, but I could have made it from scratch... this is easier...

sprinkled on a layer of mini dark chocolate chips

repeated the angel food, espresso and whiskey layer

spread with a thick layer of dark chocolate ice cream, then the Heath bars, whipped cream, and chips.

another layer of angel food cake, a layer of a different coffee ice cream, Heath bars, whipped cream and chips

a final layer of cake, espresso, and whiskey, Heath bar bits...

into the freezer and just before serving piled it high with a huge layer of chocolate whipped cream, chips and a drizzle of dark chocolate syrup.

should have been enough to serve 12.

served 5.

they wanted more,

that sounds amazing!!!

My hubby makes this recipe and the kids about die from decadence....

mississippi-mud-cake_zps365ac0f9.jpg

Mississippi Mud Cake 

•  
    • 2 cups granulated sugar
    • 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, divided
    • 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
    • 4 large eggs
    • 1 1/2 cups each shredded unsweetened coconut and chopped walnuts
    • 1 1/3 cups self-rising flour
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 2 cups miniature marshmallows
    • 1 (16-ounce) package confectioners' sugar
    • 1/2 cup evaporated milk
  •  
  •  

• Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a 13 × 9-inch baking pan.

• Combine granulated sugar, 1 cup butter and 3 tablespoons cocoa in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer set at medium speed until creamy. Beat in the eggs.

• Add coconut, walnuts, flour, vanilla extract and salt to butter mixture and mix well. Spoon into prepared baking pan.

• Bake cake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 to 45 minutes. Sprinkle marshmallows on top. Let stand to cool in pan on a wire rack.

• Combine remaining butter, confectioners' sugar, remaining cocoa and evaporated milk in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until creamy. Spread on top of marshmallows.

My favourite receipe for summer is very very simple: potatoe salad!

Lots of new potatoes, boiled.

Equal parts mayonnaise and creme fraiche (how much depends how you like your potatoes covered and how healthy you are being. I usually do a couple of tablespoons of each for four, but I tend to make quite a lot)

Chopped chives, lots of.

Mix together and enjoy! :)

This is one of my favorite Summer Dishes. It's very simple. The recipe i am giving you is for the glaze. The dish is Apple and smoked Kielbasa kabobs

KABOBS

about  1 and half round smoked sausage (1 lb./ 1 1/2 lb.)

i prefer Kielbasa but have used smoke beef sausage and turkey sausage. i would keep it around a polish sausage variety as I don't think the glaze would go well with Italian sausage.

About 4 large apples (Empires or Macintosh. firm sweet red apples)

2 Large spanish or red onions

8 wooden skewers soaking in water for about 15 minutes prior to assembly (helps keep them from catchingfire)

GLAZE

It's a basic sweet and sour glaze. I wouldn't marinate but baste as you cook.

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup honey

1 tbsp. vegetable oil

Juice from 1 large lime

1 tsp. red pepper flakes

1/4 pineapple juice

reduce it down till it thickens up a bit

Just bring all the ingredients together in a medium sauce pan and reduce down over medium to low heat.  Cool to room temp.

Throw your kabobs onto a grill on direct heat at first to get a nice char on your sausage, onion and apples, then move to indirect heat, baste and cook until apples are tender. Of course turn your kabobs a few times to make sure you get that glaze on there nice. Absolutely delicious.

• Elgee locked this topic

Archived