DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Month of Greats - Great Leaders

AesSedaiGuy

Hi everyone! ASG here (again ... lol)

This month we'll be discussing Great Leaders as part of our MONTH OF GREATS!

I have some really good ones in mind, but first I want to open it up to you all ...

Who are some GREAT Leaders you admire or would like to know more about?

I'd like to do a series of them through the month and then maybe do a "playoff" ?

So get busy .. Who do YOU want to hear about as a GREAT LEADER?

:smile:

I kind of go for WW2 allied leaders, even the morally reprehensible but necessary at the time to sav the world ones.

Lincoln's always interesting.

like Jefferson, Adams, and Franklin. um... might have to watch 1776 now.

Henry VIII always good for a movie and I think would have been fun to hang out with.

I miss Clinton quite a bit. any good charismatic tv kinda leader is fun. Kennedy's a good one, what with the near miss on nuclear Armageddon and the overall naughtiness which... what would have happened if he'd not been assassinated, what would his legacy have been? not Camelot I think but who knows.

Moses is fascinating but not sure youd wanna go there.

um... better stop listing now I just thought of a few dozen more.

Right now I'm numb from sleep deprevation xD So I can't think of any names.

But Roman/Greek/"barbarian" generals have always facinated me!

And also, Persian kings.

And because I'm such a patriot, any swedish general who managed to get beyond denmark, is a hero to me xP

I do not have many of anyon outside of  mythlogiy and one prson no one probaly has nevr heard of lol - as I hinted elshwre, I dont realy feel much awe for anyoen not conected to my familys history. I do admir Brian Bóroimhe, if for no othre reson than under him for a tiem, besids in times of mythlogy, Éire could mostly be considred a unified land even thugh prety lossely and fell back to waht it used to be shortly aftre he died.Also admire Boudicca and Vercingetorix, evn thuogh they were defeted, and both Brenni - basicly any chieftain of eithre Celts or Germans who gaev the Romanns some grief, so Im especilly fond of Alaric and Gaeiseric.

I wonder how far we'd go down the rabbit hole if I mentioned the one involved in Godwin's Law

I also wonder if I could mention Balladare Arandaille but I don't think that much is known :tongue:

William Slim

Harry Chauvel

John Curtin

Gough Whitlam

Bob Hawke

Robert Menzies - bit of a pattern there

JFK

Lawrence of Arabia (not a leader in the sense of others I list here)

If I had some more time (say a month) to think, I'd be a lot closer to my own preferences

Keynes.

Minsky.

Emmeline Pankhurst- a leader of the British suffrage movement that was so awesome, so powerful in the movement that when she was in jail for her protests, she was the only woman the british government wouldn't force feed to stop a hunger strike. 

Hi everyone! ASG here (again ... lol)

This month we'll be discussing Great Leaders as part of our MONTH OF GREATS!

I have some really good ones in mind, but first I want to open it up to you all ...

Who are some GREAT Leaders you admire or would like to know more about?

I'd like to do a series of them through the month and then maybe do a "playoff" ?

So get busy .. Who do YOU want to hear about as a GREAT LEADER?

:smile:

What is a great leader?  Is it someone who leads a country?  Or a movement?  Can it be someone who perserveres against all obstacles and keeps on keeping on, working toward their goal?  Not getting discouraged even when being actively discouraged and/or discriminated against?  Seeing the goal and continuing to work toward it with focus, determination and will and not allowing ANYTHING to deter them from it?

I give you BMCM (MDV) Carl Brashear.  If you've seen Men of Honor, you know of whom I speak.   "It's not a sin to get knocked down; it's a sin to stay down."

Lincoln, JFK, Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Julius Caesar, Chief Powhatan, Chief Seattle, Cochise, Geronimo, Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse etc... Love the Native leaders!!!

Hi everyone! Thanks for posting. I'm fighting a bad toothache and haven't been ale to concentrate to start some of my posts and discussions. Sorry. :(

Feel free to keep sharing ideas and I will hopefully feel better soon. Thanks for understanding. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I'm back. Tooth is better.

Here is what I am going to do is do one "Great Leader" from each of the areas below, then if we have time, I 'll add in others. Cool?

So the Regions are:

North America

South and Latin America

Europe

North Africa

Sub-Saharan Africa

Middle East

India and SE Asia

Eastern Asia

Australia and Oceania

I'll post my chosen leaders for each area next and then you all can have a chance nominate someone to replace one I chose for one you prefer. I reserve the right to make the final decision. :smile:

North America-Elizabeth Cady Stanton

South and Latin America-Oscar Arias Sánchez

Europe-Boudicca

North Africa-Abu Zakariya

Sub-Saharan Africa-Aya Virginia Tourè

Middle East-David Ben Gurion

India and SE Asia-Gandhi

Eastern Asia-Emperor Wu of the Han Dynasty

Australia and Oceania-Catherine Helen Spence and Edith Cowan

Thoughts? And then we'll start! :smile:

dont kno anyof those but boudicca and ghandi and thers number of emperorr wus, so dont know which oen that is.

North America - Crazy Horse

East Asia - Kublai Khan

North Africa - Hannibal

Subsaharan Africa - Shaka Zulu

OK, I'm going to go ahead and start with North America, because I REALLY want to do this person ... :blush: ....and because I feel I need to get some info up since I've missed the first half of the month ... :sad: ... So here we go ... :happy:

Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Elizabeth Cady Stanton was a great leader in the Women's Suffrage Movement and overall early Women's Rights. Her work and ideas made possible many of the rights American Women take advantage of to this day.

She started as an Abolitionist against slavery. Her work expanded to looking at the rights of Women, and like many "Feminists" of her day, she was also involved in the Temperance Movement (Women saw alcohol and alcoholic husbands as a bane to women who were subject to alcohol-induced violence, and often had to carry the load of providing for the family if the husband didn't/couldn't work because of his alcoholism, or if he spent family provisions on alcohol instead of intended uses).

She is best known for her work organizing the first Women's Suffrage/Women's Rights Convention in the US at Seneca Falls, New York in 1848. She met and became fast friends and partner with Susan B. Anthony, who would receive the greater portion of credit and fame of the Women's Suffrage Movement because she was less outspoken and more accommodating than Stanton.

Stanton saw Women's Suffrage as just one piece of the fight for Women's Rights. She felt Women should have the right to own property, have birth control, have the same divorce rights as men, and have the right to have a job and be paid for the work contributed. She and Susan B. Anthony were actually in agreement on these issues, Anthony, in her later years, had a more conciliatory approach with the more religious and conservative women of the Suffrage Movement, and was thereby accorded "founder" status after Stanton's death. However, Stanton and Anthony were a team in every sense of the word. Stanton wrote the speeches that Anthony gave; she organized the events that Anthony appeared at. She was the President of the two Women's Suffrage Movements that pushed the issue, which passed 18 years after her death.

Stanton created a fracture in the Women's Rights Movement because she 1-wanted it to be expanded in its focus to more than Voting, and 2-opposed the passage of the 14th and 15th Amendment to the US Constitution which gave African-American men the right to be citizens and the right to vote. She opposed them because they didn't also include women in their language. She wanted Universal Suffrage for the Amendments, or felt that only allowing African-American men the right to vote would set-back the Women's Suffrage movement by allowing a vast new number of male voters who wouldn't be as active for the Women's Suffrage movement after they themselves could vote. It was almost another 60 years before Women had the Right to Vote. (Of course African -American men were also denied the ability to vote through oppressive laws until one hundred years after the passing of the Amendment which gave them the "right" to vote.) However, Stanton would show up after these Amendments were passed, at the polls demanding to vote. Quoting the Amendments and stating she too was a Natural American Citizen and should be guaranteed the right to vote. She was denied, however. She is responsible for Women getting voting rights in several Western States in the 1800s, including the first, Wyoming, and in California.

Stanton eventually presided over the reunification of theWomen's Right/Suffrage movements. Her broadening of the agenda (birth control, equal divorce, and property and employment rights) and radical ideas such as allowing interracial marriage, re-writing/examining the Christian Bible from a Feminist/Female perspective, did not get the attention in the greater Women's Suffrage Movement, but her platform kept these ideas public and kept members and listeners aware that Suffrage was only the first step, there would still be work to do.

Ooh Talt! Excellent suggestions. I love Crazy Horse ... I may have to do one for him and you. :)

I *almost* did Hannibal for North Africa, I had his name written down, but then I realized I might want to do a more unknown leader from the Islamic Expansion/Empire period. I'll see what other people here think ....let me know! :smile:

I will clarify it was Emperor Wu of the Han Dynasty, thanks for pointing that out.

Finally, I would love to hear why you would prefer Kublai Khan?

In fact, since we are so late in the month ...I welcome any of you to participate by doing mini-summaries of Great Leaders you like, in addition to the ones I'm posting. Obviously if I'm limiting it to 9 or 10, there are A LOT who will go unmentioned. I tried to be diverse and non-US and non-"Great Man"Theory of History with my selection, but there are plenty Great Leaders to explore. :happy:

Thanks blank! She really is a cool chick!

And here are two more from the other side of the globe. :smile:

Catherine Helen Spence and Edith Cowan

Catherine Helen Spence was Scottish born, but often referred to as the Grand Old Lady of Australasia fro her legacy of forwarding the rights of Australian Women.

Edith Cowan was actually born in Australia (Western Australia) and was known for her humanitarian and social leadership in advancing teh rights and improving the life conditions of women and children in Australia.

Spence was the first female politician to stand for election to Parliament. She lost that election. She was a journalist and published author. Her writing was dedicated, as was her life, to helping improve conditions for women and families.she rejected two marriage proposals but raised three distinct families of orphan children. she was instrumental in setting up Australia's Protective Services program for placing abandoned and orphaned children with accepting families. Before her, they were sent to an Industrial School to work. She had a falling out with her native Church of Scotland and became a member, and eventually preacher with the .unitarian Universalist Church. She fought for Women's Suffrage and proportional representation in the Australian Parliament.

Edith Cowan WAS the first female elected to an Australian Parliament (Western Australia). Cowan sought to reform the legal system and remove barriers, obstacles and oppressive statutes in regards to women's and children's issues. This led to an interest in women's and children's welfare, and an increased advocacy for improving living and working conditions. Cowan founded the Children's Protection Society, which worked to create Children's Courts that allowed children to NOT be tried as adults, as they had been. She championed women's issues while in parliament and saw legislation pass that gave women equal rights and protection and men in domestic and social issues. She was named an Australian Delegate to the International Conference on Women in 1925.

Both women have been moralized and remembered throughout Australia. Both are also commemorated on Australian Bank Notes, Cowan on the $50 (Au) and Spence on the $5 (Au).

Nice one.

And nice to find out who was on the old $5 note, I used to know all the old ones once - still miffed that the old $100 note with Astronomer Tebbutt on it is no longer around but that's an aside.

Carry On

Archived