DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Knightmare- King Arthur/Knight Literature (Discussion)

Izabella

images_zpsbc9c39a5.jpg

The Arthurian Legend has always been a favorite of mine, so I gladly jumped at the chance to lead the discussion on it. I have read/seen may different adaptations to this story, some were amazing while others.. well others were just not up to par.

The last book on the legend that I read was the Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, which takes a bit of a different point of view on the story, and I have to say is one of my favorites so far, I love the way it turns it around differently than anyone else.

What are some of your favorite Arthurian books? Why?

Ohh some of my favorite Arthurian books are The Camulod Chronicles by Jack Whyte.  I like them because they tell the story before Arthur.  Its also tries do to this from a historical point of view.  There is also no magic in this world, yet could be very believable story for Arthur.

Apart from literature readings of Le Morte d'Arthur by Mallory ...my favorite interpretations have been The Pendragon Cycle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pendragon_Cycle

This takes the story back to Merlin's father, a Cymry (Welsh) Poet-Warrior and even ties in Atlantis. It's a great series.

Of course ...for humour ... There is Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

*Bring me a shrubbery! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

:biggrin:

images_zpsbc9c39a5.jpg

The Arthurian Legend has always been a favorite of mine, so I gladly jumped at the chance to lead the discussion on it. I have read/seen may different adaptations to this story, some were amazing while others.. well others were just not up to par.

The last book on the legend that I read was the Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, which takes a bit of a different point of view on the story, and I have to say is one of my favorites so far, I love the way it turns it around differently than anyone else.

What are some of your favorite Arthurian books? Why?

King Arthur is one of my favs to begin with but, The Mists of Avalon is my FAVORITE version of King Arthur!!!!

Apart from literature readings of Le Morte d'Arthur by Mallory ...my favorite interpretations have been The Pendragon Cycle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pendragon_Cycle

This takes the story back to Merlin's father, a Cymry (Welsh) Poet-Warrior and even ties in Atlantis. It's a great series.

Of course ...for humour ... There is Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

*Bring me a shrubbery! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

:biggrin:

OOOhhh I will definitely have to read those ASGuy =)

Apart from literature readings of Le Morte d'Arthur by Mallory ...my favorite interpretations have been The Pendragon Cyclehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pendragon_Cycle

Of course ...for humour ... There is Monty Python and the Holy Grail!*Bring me a shrubbery! LOLOLOLOLOLOL :biggrin:

OOOhhh I will definitely have to read those ASGuy =)

I'm telling you they are remarkably well written ... And you will Love Taliesin ...he is one of my favorite characters of fantasy

I agree Gud, I've read it many many times now.. :lol I will be using this thread to nab more reading material! :) So thank you everyone.

So we've shared some of the books we love, but now I'm curious about WHY we all love the Arthurian Legacy? Why draws us to stories of chivalrousness knights?

LOL ... We had a similar mini-discussion during the Yellow Ajahs Valentine's Day Event. :)

I think because of the prominence of Western Civilization and that those times represent a utopian ideal.

We like the idea of adventure and quests for noble causes. The bards and scribes did a good job because even now, 1000 years later, knights and ladies fair capture our imagination and desire.

I think that is one reason we all like Epic Fantasy, a fascination and appreciation for the times of Medieval Europe. :)

I agree with ASGuy, but I add in that honor plays a great role in my attraction to Arthur and the knights in general. The sense that life held more meaning during his times.

Thanks Gud. :)

Care to explain "more meaning"? :)

OOooooo King Arthur and his chivalrous knights :D I can't remember when I actually last read the tale/s, but I grew up on short stories/epic picture books like - ohmygod, Rodney Matthew's illustrations. AAAAAAA. Check it ouuutt:

rodney_matthews_stories_king%20arthur_in

kingarthur_excalibur1994.jpg

There's also some grrrreat audiobooks/CDs out there, we have a version where Kay is hilarious comic relief.

So yah, I've always loved the story, and since then read several historical novels/adaptions of it. The name Marion Zimmer Bradley rings a definite bell and I'm tempted to say I've read one of the books in the series you mentioned Izabella.... but I can't remember which.

Some of how the story turns out I on't like so much, like when they turn on each other. But the whole honourable Knights thing - the same aspect that makes stories like Robin Hood so amazing. It's good men fighting for a very selfless cause, namely for the poor and helpless. The thing about men being equal around the Round Table, the vivid medieval culture it conjurs up.... oh and dragons and mythical beasts, who doesn't adore them? It's the epitome of epic Sagas and Legends.

I've been in love with Gawain since.... forever :wub:

ASGuy- I guess what I mean by more meaning is everything you had you fought to get and keep. You builty your own home, grew your own food, got your water from rivers and streams and lakes, you worked hard all day, but at the end of the day you looked upon what you had done and were proud of it. Then there is the community aspect. Your clan was more than just your immediate family, and your town or village was an extended part of your family. Everyone took care of each other, helped out and contributed, and people protected the young and the old. You led your life by your honor and an intense need to keep it. Everyone was closer to nature and revered it as it should be. There were some times a need for epic quests and journeys and when you returned safely having completed your quest, there was celebration of life. There were rights of passage for all stages of life. Life might have been more primitive, but I feel people appreciated it more. Can you tell I love this era???  oh yes and I forgot, dragons, fairies and unicorns....yes I believe in them all and I'm sticking to it!!!!

For me it's the romanticism of the age, and actually getting to make a difference in life. (And the clothes are a perk ;) I have a thing for corsets)

Who is your favorite character? Mine would have to be either Merlin or Taliesin, depending on the story) 

But I guess the question is WHY do they bug us?

Lancelot and Guinevere bug me honestly because of the whole affair and everything ... And then they get to "win" because Arthur conveniently dies.

Morded ...whiny git, as I said. :D

Archived