DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Knightmare--Real Life "Dragon Killers" (Discussion)

Aiel Heart

So in each of our lives, there are individuals we've encountered or heard about who have inspired us greatly. The bravery of one action can truly leave an impact, and this bravery is something which we rightly honor. 

In this thread, we will commemorate the people who inspire us with their bravery. 

I have been very inspired by my uncles that have served overseas in the military, and their bravery probably goes far beyond what I am aware of, but right now I am going to commemorate someone in my life who was brave in a different way.

Today, I honor my grandpa. His health started to really go downhill about eight years ago. His body slowly broke down, and he ended up having both of his legs amputated due to these problems. There were multiple times that he was in the hospital and the doctors didn't expect him to make it out. Through all of this, he remained so positive. He got a prosthetic for the first leg, and planned to get one for the second and said he'd be dancing again by the summer. He said that he had his life on extended leave, and when it was his time to go then he would die knowing that he had finished his job here. Instead of giving in to fear like so many probably would have, he remained happy, peaceful, and accepting. Though I knew better, in part of my way, I thought he was invincible.

He's been gone two years now, but the way he lived his life, especially those last few years, has always inspired me. It's one kind of bravery to go charging into a situation that can kill you. It is another to know that the situation is coming upon you and that you can do nothing about it, but still remaining positive and unafraid.

I'm inspired by my aunt and uncle - their lives are full of rich memories because they travel a lot but that's not what inspires me. They led a sailing life for a very long time, living 6 months on sea and 6 months on land (during monsoon/hurricane season). They would load up their sailboat and sail off into the sunset, seeing things that probably only 2% of the world's population will ever see in their lifetime. It's that sense of exploration, independence, and freedom that inspires me.

Due to my uncle's declining health, they had to lower their sails permanently and sell their catamaran but they still join their friends for a full month of sailing around the Pacific Northwest.

I have been very inspired by my uncles that have served overseas in the military, and their bravery probably goes far beyond what I am aware of, but right now I am going to commemorate someone in my life who was brave in a different way.

Today, I honor my grandpa. His health started to really go downhill about eight years ago. His body slowly broke down, and he ended up having both of his legs amputated due to these problems. There were multiple times that he was in the hospital and the doctors didn't expect him to make it out. Through all of this, he remained so positive. He got a prosthetic for the first leg, and planned to get one for the second and said he'd be dancing again by the summer. He said that he had his life on extended leave, and when it was his time to go then he would die knowing that he had finished his job here. Instead of giving in to fear like so many probably would have, he remained happy, peaceful, and accepting. Though I knew better, in part of my way, I thought he was invincible.

He's been gone two years now, but the way he lived his life, especially those last few years, has always inspired me. It's one kind of bravery to go charging into a situation that can kill you. It is another to know that the situation is coming upon you and that you can do nothing about it, but still remaining positive and unafraid.

People like your grandpa are amazing and inspiring. I too honor a lost family member for their bravery and strong spirit. My daddy died when I was 11 of Renal cancer. Although he was diagnosed when I was 4 and was told he had 6 months to live, he held on and kept up with all the things he loved, except work. At the time he was diagnosed he had been driving a bus for elderly in Traverse City, MI. He loved this job as it was very rewarding. He even took me with him sometimes for rides on the bus. I loved listening to the stories of all the riders. So different from anything I had ever heard. We moved to the country in NC so he could enjoy nature and milder weather. I never even knew he was sick because he still did all the things he used to like starting and maintaining a beautiful garden, taking walks in the woods daily, and even cutting down and splitting trees for fire wood. I would sit on his lap while he did his crossword puzzles with no idea the battle he was fighting. Through all the trials he always kept a smile on his face and love in his heart. He taught me all about nature and animals and always taught me to love and respect all life. I love him so much and miss him deeply but I know heaven is a brighter place with his light. Such a gentle warrior indeed. 

My dad.  To be totally accurate, my step-dad, who has raised me since I was 7 years old.  John Wayne, in his soldier roles, reminds me of my dad (rather than the other way around).  He comes across as gruff but he runs so much deeper than that.  He has been through so much - Korea and Vietnam in the 1960's, a cheating spouse (when he was in Korea), bankruptcy (she bankrupted them when he was in Korea) and came through all that, still strong and unbowed.  He met his financial obligations toward his kids and also supported my sister and I when our own father abrogated his financial responsibility toward us.  My daddy is my hero and to this day, I am still a "daddy's girl" even though I have 2 nearly-grown kids of my own.  It hurt him deeply when I was so sick in the hospital in 2010 and they thought I wasn't going to make it.  I know my mom was hurting, too, as was my husband, but to see my gruff yet tender daddy fighting to hold back tears when I came out of sedation and they knew I'd be okay . . . well, it about made me cry, too.

He's not overtly demonstrative and doesn't shout his feelings to the rooftops but I have never, ever doubted his feelings toward the girls he raised as his own . . .  He's my daddy and I love him fiercely and I look up to him like no other.

• Elgee locked this topic

Archived