OMFG This Book Rocks!: "A Knife of Dreams"

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#201 EmperorAllspice

EmperorAllspice
  • Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

The more I see team Light screwed over by bad luck, the more I assume it HAS to be the Dark One or something altering probabilty the way the pattern does for the heroes. I mean, what are the odds of 4 black sisters showing up just in time to kidnap Elayne like that

"Contests fought between two masters are decided instantly. An invisible battle is now raging between the two of them." Schneizel El Britannia Vs Lelouch Lamperouge

#202 mb

mb
  • Members
  • 4,890 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

As far as I recall, only a taveren's presence changes probability of any event; when the participants are within the taveren's area of effect.

Possibly presence includes sharing any kind of bond with a taveren; not entirely certain on that.

Probably the 4 blacks were with Moridin.  Not entirely sure on that either.

Like I posted other times; the most involvement of the Dark One toward the Pattern seems to be he unraveling it.

Matthew 28:19-20
I Kings 18:21
Romans 1:16
Philippians 4:6-7

#203 EmperorAllspice

EmperorAllspice
  • Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

As far as I recall, only a taveren's presence changes probability of any event; when the participants are within the taveren's area of effect.

Possibly presence includes sharing any kind of bond with a taveren; not entirely certain on that.

Probably the 4 blacks were with Moridin.  Not entirely sure on that either.

Like I posted other times; the most involvement of the Dark One toward the Pattern seems to be he unraveling it.

But RJ goes through the trouble of justifying contrived coincidences via this system called Ta'veren. Yet relies on them for EVERYTHING else as well. If he justified it this far. Why can't I justify the other coincidences?

It makes me feel better about Team Shadow's competence is all.

"Contests fought between two masters are decided instantly. An invisible battle is now raging between the two of them." Schneizel El Britannia Vs Lelouch Lamperouge

#204 EmperorAllspice

EmperorAllspice
  • Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

Well even though I really like the hell out of Elayne's arc. The finale of it was pretty damn weak.

I dunno. Just felt like hard luck for Elayne rather than Team Shadow competence then a simple resolution with tension derived solely from wondering if a group of jerks will stop being jerks long enough to help. Just wasn't that interesting for me. The second weakest of the climaxes of book 11 aside from Mat's

#205 EmperorAllspice

EmperorAllspice
  • Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:01 AM

So MAt is currently roflstomping the Seanchan. That's pretty dissapointing. You do your name no justice, EVER VICTORIOUS ARMY!! (grumble grumble)

At least the Deathwatch Guard has seen through his plan. I think. They're heading to his location now.

#206 mb

mb
  • Members
  • 4,890 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

Some scene somewhere in the first 11books tells of that name meaning that they win wars not necessarily battles; the 5 generals are mentioned in the same scene.

The Deathwatch Guard was mistaken about at least these things::

-they being hired

-Thom leading them

-they wanting to kidnap Tuon

#207 EmperorAllspice

EmperorAllspice
  • Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

Some scene somewhere in the first 11books tells of that name meaning that they win wars not necessarily battles; the 5 generals are mentioned in the same scene.

The Deathwatch Guard was mistaken about at least these things::

-they being hired

-Thom leading them

-they wanting to kidnap Tuon

So you think the Seanchan could beat Mat?

But to my knowledge they ARE right in thinking that Mat is trying to lure the main bulk of the Seanchan forces away from that pass so they can escape through it

#208 mb

mb
  • Members
  • 4,890 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

The scene I mentioned is in Crossroads of Twilight Chapter 23.

..."I've been talking with Alivia, about the Seanchan," [Rand] said. "They call their army Ever Victorious Army for a reason. It's never lost a war. Battles yes, but never a war. When they lose a battle, they sit down and work out what they did wrong, or what the enemy did right. Then they change what needs changing for them to win.

"A wise way," [Cadsuane] said when the flow of words paused. Plainly, he expected some comment. "I know men who do the same. Davram Bashere, for one. Gareth Bryne, Rodel Ituralde, Agelmar Jagad. Even Pedron Niall did, when he was alive. All judged great captains."

"Yes," he said, still pacing. He did not look at her, perhaps did not see her, but he was listening. It was to be hoped that he actually heard, as well. "Five men, all great captains. The Seanchan all do it. That's been their way for a thousand years. They change what they have to change, but they don't give up."

Whether they could beat Mat; maybe.

One of the earliest books told that Mat was/is as great (or greater) than the 5; do not remember the exact book or exact scene.  And some book told that Mat had/has battle luck; one of Mat's men talking to him.

#209 Suttree

Suttree
  • Members
  • 9,721 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

Love that quote from CoT.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge, exists without my consent" - Judge Holden

#210 EmperorAllspice

EmperorAllspice
  • Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

I brought that scene from CoT up before. Then how come Ituralde is playing them all for chumps?

#211 Suttree

Suttree
  • Members
  • 9,721 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

I brought that scene from CoT up before. Then how come Ituralde is playing them all for chumps?

Because he is only winning battles and talking casualties he can't afford while doing so.

Edited by Suttree, 20 November 2013 - 07:41 PM.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge, exists without my consent" - Judge Holden

#212 EmperorAllspice

EmperorAllspice
  • Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

Okay so I'm nearing the end of the book. There's only about 20 pages left.

Elayne has secured the throne. Mellar got beat up pretty bad (boo) and Mat got to show off loads (boo)

Mat is now preparing to fight the large group of Seanchan that tracked the Deathwatch guards. (yay, one of Semirhage's plans actually almost came to fruition)

#213 mb

mb
  • Members
  • 4,890 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

page references are vague since the different formats take up different amounts of pages.  It is better to use chapter references than page references.

#214 EmperorAllspice

EmperorAllspice
  • Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

I never really take note of the chapter I'm on. Uh, I'm on Prince of the Ravens.

Edited by EmperorAllspice, 21 November 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#215 EmperorAllspice

EmperorAllspice
  • Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

and I FINALLY finished Knife of Dreams!

Well, now that I'm done with that book I must confess a touch of... ambivalence.

I'm torn on this one. On the one hand almost all of the set pieces are the heroes curb stomping the seanchan or the forces of shadow, but on the other hand, these moments didn't rile nearly as much hatred as other stories like this have. (like the ASOIAF series)

All in all I ended up going... "it's ok" I certainly didn't feel the massive amount of love towards it that many other fans on this forum do. I do agree the pacing was lightyears faster by RJ standards but that still doesn't negate the fact that a lot of the stuff focused on in this book are completely decicive victories for the forces of Light that were accomplished relatively easily. I find it hard to be on the edge of my seat and twitching in anticipation when stuff like that starts happening.

and on a bitter note, two of my favourite characters suffered intensely humiliating ends in this book... I'm sensing a pattern for all my fav characters -____- (at least you were spared, Rahvin.)

Edited by EmperorAllspice, 10 January 2014 - 10:24 AM.

#216 mb

mb
  • Members
  • 4,890 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

Rahvin was balefired 6 books before this one.  Fires of Heaven.

the 2 being Semirhage and Galina?

#217 EmperorAllspice

EmperorAllspice
  • Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:46 PM

Rahvin was jst balefired. He was still being pretty awesome when it happened. having endured being utterly immolated like a boss and about to slaughter Mogehdien and Nynaeve.

He wasn't completely humilated like every female villain seems to end up being

and no, Semirhage was still confident and calm when she was initially captured. I meant Suroth and Galina.