Photo

What Would you do with 250 million dollars?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 SinisterDeath

SinisterDeath
  • DM - Staff
  • 15,800 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

As the title says ( 250m after taxes... think lottery)
Discuss what you'd do with it, and even discuss others ways of using it, whether that's foolish, communist, or brilliant.

gallery_6827_296_97964.jpg

#2 Mrs. Cindy Gill

Mrs. Cindy Gill

Basel's soft brown kitty

• Members
  • 67,477 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

quit my job.

let my mom quit hers, and my stepdad.  my sister and her husband.

divide it up among the family, my friends, and find somewhere warm and beautiful to set up winter camp, and somewhere cool and beautiful for the summer.  hope they all come along.

as much as anyone wanted to personal charities.

be as miserable with money as i was without. but maybe the family and friends would be happy. 

foolish, selfish... don't care.  it's what i'd do. 

baselcindyrotation_zpsea81548c.gif

Bonded, Bound, and Wed to Basel Gill

#3 TylerRVG

TylerRVG

Pepper your angus.

• Members
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

I'd only keep three or four million's worth of it, that's more than enough for me. The rest of that money would be split between close friends and family (Mostly ones who have supported me financially in any way in the past), as well as any charities I feel are worth the money. And before you ask for specifics on that; I don't know. If I were to receive that kind of money, I'd talk it through with such people, and I'd research which charities I feel most comfortable with giving large quantities of money to.

Warder to blank.

#4 Arez Al'Loke

Arez Al'Loke
  • Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

I'd get rid of the majority of the money as soon as possible. A common person with 250 million dollars is an easy target for anyone who wants cash x)

~Warder to Nya~

#5 Guest_PiotrekS_*

Guest_PiotrekS_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

#6 Mrs. Cindy Gill

Mrs. Cindy Gill

Basel's soft brown kitty

• Members
  • 67,477 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

awwwwww..... :)

#7 WildTaltos

WildTaltos

Níb caram-si, á Áes catha

• Members
  • 13,758 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

have my brothr invst it for uor family, hes smrt with stocks an taht crap so he wuold kno what to do, then...dont kno, let the money buld itslf, but Im not sur what any of us wuold want to do wth so much money if it dos buld up to someting evn more gigantic. Buy uorselvs soem politcins evntualy i gus,

Edited by WildTaltos, 16 March 2013 - 12:15 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Knivy

Knivy
  • Members
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

1-Pay my way through college.

2-fund my research with the remaining monies.

#9 SinisterDeath

SinisterDeath
  • DM - Staff
  • 15,800 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

Huh.. bear naked ladies make country music?

Anyways. As to what I would do with 250M? (after taxes)

I would keep 62.5M for myself.

I would have at least 1 spending account, with around 250K, and the rest, split into savings accounts, that would all be setup, to roll-over all the interest payments into new accounts. (this would... require an accountant to do, at least one I would only pay every few years! Bastards... :tongue: government can take my taxes, but not them grubby inhumane mole-men accountants... suckers will bleed you dry!)

The purpose of this is simple. It'll generate more money, but it'll also allow me to plan ahead, for my future family (that doesn't exist yet.)

I would then give $31.25 Million to each of my neices. That split up in a similar proces to mine with savings accounts As well as the standard $250k college fund for each of them. (this would also be set up, that if they do not go to college, that $250k goes to a charity.)

They would then, both get the remaining of said money, once they are 25 years old.

My brother, would have access to one of the interest roll-over accounts, (even with a $100k in an account, 1% apr would net something like $1k a year, and with several of those accounts, that can add up fast. I would probably make an interest accont that adds up to at most, $20k a year) This ideally to help my brother with his kids, like he's helped me with my college education. It wouldn't be enough to spoil them rotten, but it would be just enough that worst case scenerio, he'd have money to fall back on and make sure they have a roof over there head.

I would also give $31.25M to my mother, set up simlar to mine, with spending accounts and all that.

My father would just get from me, is all his federal/state/property taxes paid off, and thats it. After this last year. Blood maybe thicker than water, but that would (IMO) clear any debt I owe him. (That is, me owing my existance to him.)

I would then, split 62.5M between all of my Cousins. (this number is close to...40 or 50!? uggh, I'd have to research that more.. This number averages somewhere between 1-1.5M each.)

Some of said cousins, would have all funds go to there children, rather than the parents themselves. (The drug addicts as an example, or those that simply can not be trusted with money.)

If any of said cousins, want to give away any of that money its up to them.

The remaining 62.5M would go to various local, regional, and National Charities. (Probably close to 40M locally, 20M regionally, and 2.5M Nationally.

Those Charity funds, might go into a similar savings account that I would donate throughout my remaining years, instead of all at one time.

Of that 62.5M I'd have for myself?

Until I have a family, I'd rent an apartment (probably a 2 bedroom, under $600/m) keep my job.

Buy me a DeLorean (do they make those electric, or even with a hydrogen engine?)

And of course, I'd travel to places I've always wanted to see. :wink:

I could easilly live on $30k a year with that kind of money. :lol:

Any self-buisness I attempt to start would be something for future thought.

Edited by SinisterDeath, 16 March 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#10 Azrael Maravaile

Azrael Maravaile

SCOAMF

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

I will let these words of wisdom sink in

“When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit.”

~Ayn Rand

#11 Mrs. Cindy Gill

Mrs. Cindy Gill

Basel's soft brown kitty

• Members
  • 67,477 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

they can't be seen on many devices

#12 Senexx

Senexx

Aes Sedai of the Brown Ajah

• Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Pay off my house

Put some in the bank - live off interest

Give some to my immediate family members - maybe pay off their houses too.

Then become a job creator by spending most of the money to keep the economy churning and to lower the unemployment rate.

No good having that much money if you're not going to spend it. 

Spending doesn't mean wasting it either, nothing wrong with making a profit out of it and if you spend enough/create jobs you're improving everybody's lives not just your own.

Oh and probably start a lobby group.

After all I notice plenty of people with money give to charities and mostly its for one off causes and/or all used up in administration having an inconsequential effect other than the feel good of I gave to charity and can get some of it back on tax - yay.  That's weak.

Posted Image
“The Amyrlin understands the most complex of creeds and debates, yet in the end, she is servant to all, even the lowest laborers.” - Balladare Arandaille, Amyrlin 115-142NE

"I am an introvert and a nerd. Please read my instruction manuals before attempting to operate me."

#13 Blackhoof

Blackhoof

Arch-Arsonist of Evil

• Members
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

I would become a supervillain

And create many jobs by hiring minions, henchmen, and contractors to build my secret lair.
Posted Image

#14 Lenlo

Lenlo

Hastur

• Members
  • 11,389 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

Run for President! 

Ok probably not.

I would pay for my college, put maybe 50 mil into the bank or investments so that it can grow/ I can have plenty to last my entire life. After that I would pay my parents back for the 18 years I was raised in their house and the stupid amount of money the spent on me. After that setup savings accounts for them and afew other important members of my family so they can have a good amount of money. 

Whatever is left over after all that I would probably use to build fresh water wells/ways to improve living conditions in 3rd world countries. I dont trust most charities to handle the money in an efficient way and I dont want so much of what I donate to go towards funding the charity itself. I also dont want to just buy food for people I want to pay to teach them how to grow their own. The whole "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for life." kinda thing.

2D94cM2.gif

Mafia Games Played

Spoiler

#15 TinaHel

TinaHel

Hiding in the Shadow

• Members
  • 21,730 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:56 AM

I would quit my job and start studying again. (A few years ago I was accepted to a pre-doctoral studies program but couldn´t efford it.) I would buy a great apartment. I would travel a lot. I would give money to my family. After that I would give money to charity. I already support Save the Children and a tree planting project in Tanzania so I guess they would get the money. I don´t need to buy a lot of things but I would love to get a dish washer. :D

Posted Image

First Sister and Bonded to Leelou

#16 SinisterDeath

SinisterDeath
  • DM - Staff
  • 15,800 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

I would quit my job and start studying again. (A few years ago I was accepted to a pre-doctoral studies program but couldn´t efford it.) I would buy a great apartment. I would travel a lot. I would give money to my family. After that I would give money to charity. I already support Save the Children and a tree planting project in Tanzania so I guess they would get the money. I don´t need to buy a lot of things but I would love to get a dish washer. :D

Don't skimp out on the dishwasher. Those bastard things can be worse than a child washing them by hand (sometimes!)

What about one of those japanese super toilets?

http://www.lifeyou.t...apanese-toilet/

there are numerous additional features—such as blow dryer, seat heating, massage options, water jet adjustments, automatic lid opening, automatic flushing, wireless control panel, room heating and air conditioning for the room—included either as part of the toilet or in the seat. These features can be accessed by an (often wireless) control panel attached to the seat or mounted on a nearby wall.

I mean damn, talk about getting appliances, gotta go for super toilets! :tongue:

Edited by SinisterDeath, 17 March 2013 - 02:18 AM.

#17 TinaHel

TinaHel

Hiding in the Shadow

• Members
  • 21,730 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:21 AM

lol I think I can manage without one. But a big bath tub would be nice. 

Posted Image

First Sister and Bonded to Leelou

#18 Reyoru

Reyoru
  • Members
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:03 AM

First up, give 10% to charity.

Then, pay student loans off, pay all of my parent's mortgage and bills off. Buy my parents, my siblings and myself a couple of mansions and new cars, here in England and a few holiday homes in the Italian Lake District and San Francisco. Help any of my family who want to emigrate or study abroad to do so. Then, set up a few current accounts with say $500k each for my parents, siblings and myself for daily living costs, holidays or whatever they need. Then split the bulk of the "big pot" in 3 or 4, and invest in a few banks, hedge funds or securities and allow the interest to grow. 

I certainly wouldn't want to quit my job or my career aspirations, but the money would be useful as mentioned by Knivy to fund my own research. 

I'd also buy a small castle, and hire an organist to play this tune non-stop:

Posted Image

#19 Hallow

Hallow

The Suzerain of Night

• Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:07 AM

Pay off my student loans, quit my part time job, finish school (however long that would take, might end up studying til Im 30 if I had that much money in the bank), buy an awesome apartment and then just spend as long as I can travelling until the money is all gone (if it ever runs out).

Oh, and the obligatory "give some of it to family and charity" thing.

Edited by Hallow, 17 March 2013 - 03:08 AM.

"HAIL THE MARINES!"
- Heavies of the Bonehunters

"I saw in their faces the erosion of her will, and they bore it. They bore it as they did all else. These Malazans, they shame the gods themselves..."
— Aranict

Debates & Discussions Moderator. PM me if you have any questions.

#20 Mr Ares

Mr Ares

We're here.

• Members
  • 7,134 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:24 AM

As for me, well, I could buy hookers. I could buy a $250,000,000 hooker, or 250,000,000 $1 hookers - the possibilities are wide open. I could go on the mother of all cocaine binges. I could buy some great works of art, and then throw them on a bonfire. I could trade it all for gold and jewels and then sleep on a big pile of riches (hopefully, some if it will lodge in place, and act as armour for my soft underbelly). I could buy some orphans, and then use them as slaves. I'd have an orgy that would make even Nero say that I've gone too far. I'd have people fight to the death for my amusement, have people fed to the tigers (after buying some tigers, obviously - it's not like I have a stash of tigers just waiting to feed people to, that would be ridiculous...), have people fed to the ill-tempered, mutated sea bass if I have to. Point is, most of you (Blackhoof aside) are thinking far too small and far too mundane. 250 million dollars is the sort of money that, used right, will last you till the day you die. Pay off your student loan? Why not buy a university professor to be your shoe shine boy instead? I will die gloriously, in a fit of depraved, hedonistic debauchery, surrounded by those whose affections I have purchased, secretly loathed by all. What more could one aspire to?

"I have no followers, I have only brothers and sisters, all in the name of cause. People are sheep, you understand me? They can't lead themselves, they need to be led. People buy and sell fear. They worship war, they crave war. But I'm not afraid of their wars, I CREATED WAR! And I think it's time for the masses to wake up, wake up, WAKE UP! And look at this LIE they're living in, man! The world is deteriorating between their toes, and they do nothing about it. They only stand there, they whisper and wonder but never do anything about it! But I've seen it all in my dreams and in my thoughts, and above everything else I understand. This is not the beginning.....it's the end."