This Title Makes No Sense: "The Fires of Heaven"

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 kait

kait
  • Members
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:05 AM

I couldn't understand the title for the longest time, but I thought it was pretty when I first read it, before I decided to read the entire series. I know it's rather standard. It might be a good chunk of the reason I began reading. *embarrassed*

#22 liesie_sedai

liesie_sedai
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:23 AM

Why's (almost) everyone talking about the fight between Mat and Couladin, Rhavin and Rand? What I remember best from FoH is the scene between Moiraine and Lanfear :cry: It was sooooo sad.

#23 Kadere

Kadere
  • Members
  • 14,373 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:23 PM

THAT'S THE SCENE WHERE I DIED!!!! :D :D :D

#24 Thor

Thor
  • Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:58 AM

Actually the scene with Lanfear and Moiraine isn't so sad, I thought the sadest part was when Rand was reading Moirain's letter.

#25 Magicana

Magicana
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:21 AM

THAT'S THE SCENE WHERE I DIED!!!! :D :D :D

Oh you have an INFLATED sense of humour :P

#26 Beckon

Beckon
  • Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:47 AM

Actually the scene with Lanfear and Moiraine isn't so sad, I thought the sadest part was when Rand was reading Moirain's letter.

Me too. Especially on rereads, you know she's coming back. I feel very bad for Rand there. Especially when I think it's Sulin opens the door and asks why he weeps alone. /SOB

#27 Kadere

Kadere
  • Members
  • 14,373 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:27 AM

Oh you have an INFLATED sense of humour :P

Yes, yes I do. 8)

But then I'm like the only person who's entire skin gets to come off, and is then thrown like a rag at the Dragon Reborn. :P

#28 Siswaiaman

Siswaiaman
  • Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:17 PM

yes that IS something to boast about....

:D

#29 Minuet

Minuet

Keeper of the Flying Monkeys

• Members
  • 9,347 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:56 AM

Okay, no one has mentioned anything about what I didn't like about this book. Granted I loved the book, however felt it ignored some characters that I like.

Perrin, Loial and Faile.

They referred to Perrin, but there was no Perrin in the book. Now if you don't like the characters I can see where that wouldn't matter. I suppose because they weren't doing anything drastic or dramatic I can see cutting them. However, just a quick note on the fact that they were rebuilding Edmond's Field and what not would have been nice.

So, that is what I didn't like about the book.
It did have a lot of cool scene. I did like how Mat had a flash back of the battle. I will be honest, reading a blow by blow account would have turned me off. I would rather a flash back too place, I think RJ did a good job there.

It was sad that Moiraine died, though I have a feeling she is trapped at that other world. Didn't it take you to the place the Perrin saw "Slayer" go to in the wolf dream in a previous book? Maybe some how he will find her or something. I haven't read the rest of the books, on book 6 right now.
I think that it was ironic that Rand needed Nynaeve to kill Rahvin. Neat how it happened.

#30 RobertAlexWillis

RobertAlexWillis
  • Members
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:37 AM

Since you're an uncontaminated subject, Minuet (don't take it personally, I'm always this sensitive :wink: ) who do you think killed Asmodean? I ask because, given your statements, you have wisely avoided certain other threads which are full of spoilers. Just a name is fine, but if you would like to explain why you suspect a certain person, thats cool.

Actually ... if you want to totally ignore my question, its cool. I'll just be sad.

:D

#31 Minuet

Minuet

• Members
  • 9,347 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:52 PM

You know I have no clue. At first I was thinking one of the Forsaken might have killed him. Then I thought well he didn't seem alarmed all that much. Could have been Shaidar Haran however I don't think he knew him. So, I have no clue. It is a tough puzzle to complete.
I have stayed away from those types of threads because I figure they might have some spoilers in them.

#32 RobertAlexWillis

RobertAlexWillis
  • Members
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:19 AM

OK ... thanks! I asked because I'm trying to collect people's initial impressions about whodunit, before they move on to the rest of the books.

#33 Beckon

Beckon
  • Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:48 AM

For the record, the first several times I read through the series I had no clue who killed Asmo. I didn't really give much thought to it until I joined up here in whenever that was...february or march.

#34 chelseafan

chelseafan
  • Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:40 AM

Yep on my initial read through I was clueless too.I thought it would be revealed somewhere down the line ie. the next book.I gave it some thought but from FOH alone couldn't come up with a candidate

#35 redbj

redbj
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:16 PM

1st read through i just presumed it was rand.

#36 Minuet

Minuet

• Members
  • 9,347 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:51 PM

See, I never thought of Rand cause I thought he was not there at the time.

#37 G the brave

G the brave
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:24 AM

Heh a friend of mine thought I was reading a romance novel when she saw my book.

:lol:

#38 Guest_Loreina al'Landragoran_*

Guest_Loreina al'Landragoran_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:21 AM

Just to add my two cents worth, until I found DM, I didn't occur to me to care who killed Asmo. It didn't strike me as important. Since finding DM, I have of course seen the Light and been converted. I am now diligently hunting for clues, but so far, I've had no luck. Maybe by the time AMoL comes out I'll have a theory. Maybe. It's possible. :)

#39 RobertAlexWillis

RobertAlexWillis
  • Members
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:03 AM

Just to add my two cents worth, until I found DM, I didn't occur to me to care who killed Asmo. It didn't strike me as important.

LOL ... actually, in the overall story arc, I agree. Its not important, its just much disputed, kind of like medieval theologians arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

The less important something is, the more vehement we humans seem to get about it.

But then humans aren't terribly bright.

#40 lou

lou
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:33 AM

i am absolutely certain its not important, but it is interesting. it gives us something to do in the years between each new novel, which is probably sad really. i am just hoping it doesnt end up with an anticlimactic revealing like other killings in the series, where someone just says "it was i" with sinister laughter. FoH did not give enough clues, and i think rj said it was "intuitively obvious", but i believe that just means that it was obvious to someone with intimate knowledge of the characters at the time, which was really rj alone, and possibly harriet.