• 1,975 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:31 PM

No spoilers for later books please.

#2 Gentled Ben

Gentled Ben
  • Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:20 AM

I have a question. I know this was discussed elsewhere long ago, but I don't think it was resolved, and I'm not sure where that thread went (yes, I searched).

In the beginning of TGH, Rand and Lan are practicing forms when suddenly, Rand is propelled forward by what seems to be a flow of Air. Lan comments on Rand's stupidity for the move, and Rand wonders where that Air came from. So do I...
Any insights?

#3 Mat is the Boss

Mat is the Boss
  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:49 AM

I think it might have been a very early(and innocent) bubble of evil. I don`t think someone used the Power on him, so that`s the only explanation I`ve got.

#4 Egwene

Egwene
  • Members
  • 6,650 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:57 AM

It was, Mat, I read somewhere that RJ confirmed it as such.

#5 Gentled Ben

Gentled Ben
  • Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:01 PM

You guys are my heroes! Thanks for answering that for me. :)

#6 vegetattack15

vegetattack15
  • Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:18 PM

It wasn't Mat, it was a bubble of evil.

JK :wink:

#7 Guest_cwestervelt_*

Guest_cwestervelt_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:57 PM

It was in his blog entry for October 6th, 2005.
http://www.wotmania....opic.asp?ID=150

#8 Korlaf

Korlaf
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:15 PM

so maybe a dumb question...

I know Ishy torments Rand throughout this book and EoTW about how he and Rand (LTT) have fought this battle through the ages. We know RJ debunked the saying that sometimes he was raised up for the shadow, BUT...

When Mat Blows the Horn and the Hereo's come to them at Falme Hawkwing says something i found odd. He recognizes Rand as LTT (or possibly Rand as the re-incarnation of LTT's soul). He says that he had ridden at LTT's side many times and sometimes against him. Now Hawkwing lived after the Age of Legends and after the Horn was hidden, so unless he's some re-incarnation of some hero how would he have ridden with LTT? Also he says that they come to the Horn but they follow the banner (the dragon banner).

I guess where i'm confused is or questioning is that LTT was called the Dragon and was around for when the Bore was drilled etc. Well if that was the first time the dark one started breaking free how is it Hawkwing remembers ridding with/against LTT. and why does he call him LTT rather then a previous re-incarnation of the soul?

#9 RobertAlexWillis

RobertAlexWillis
  • Members
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:34 PM

What Hawkwing remembers is probably from other previous turnings of the Wheel, not the Age of Legends. And he calls Rand "Lews Therin" because Rand wouldn't have recognized any other names from his soul's past.

#10 vikingdriver

vikingdriver
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:21 PM

Hawkwing was Ta'veren too. From what I have gathered, Ta'veren are reborn many times over though most of them do not remember their past lives. It seems as though the stronger the Ta'veren , the better the memory. Artur Hawkwing and Rand (Lews Theron) were the strongest of all the Ta'veren thus far.

#11 RobertAlexWillis

RobertAlexWillis
  • Members
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:16 AM

It seems as though the stronger the Ta'veren , the better the memory.

I'm sorry, what is that based on? There are no indications (in the very sketchy versions we have of his life) that Hawkwing remembered anything from previous lives while he was living. For that matter, Mat and Perrin are almost as strongly ta'veren as Rand, and don't have any memories of their own past lives (Mat has others, but that is from an outside source).

#12 Minnea

Minnea
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:23 AM

Another question for you:

It's the first thing to happen in chapter 7. The Horn and the dagger has just been stolen, leaving Egwene and Mat unconcious. Egwene is ok, but Mat is Healed by Siuan, Leane, Moiraine and Verin.

When they take Mat out om a litter, Moiraine thinks för herself: "How will this affect matters? He is not necessary with the Horn gone, and yet..."

So... what do Moiraine know that noone else does at this point? It's in the end of tGH that Mat blows the Horn ang get liked to it.

#13 Lady Saravhem

Lady Saravhem
  • Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:13 AM

I think perhaps this is not the first time something like this has happened. You know ages come and pass and come back again. Because if time is a wheel as it moves the same times have to come back around again. So if you think of time moving in a circle you could imagine the DO has been imprisoned, the Bore drilled, the DO sealed in, tried to escape and finally imprisoned--not sealed in but imprisoned as in the beginning-- again happening more than once. but most pple believe time flows in a strieght line . Time in a line couldn't do that.

#14 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:51 PM

When they take Mat out om a litter, Moiraine thinks för herself: "How will this affect matters? He is not necessary with the Horn gone, and yet..."

So... what do Moiraine know that noone else does at this point? It's in the end of tGH that Mat blows the Horn ang get liked to it.

She was referring to her plan to use Mat and Perrin to tempt Rand to accompany the Horn south to Illian.

#15 Razor

Razor
  • Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 12:58 PM

I wonder if Mat and the horn will play a role in the Seanchan attack of the white tower. Mat can blow the horn and Hawkwing will tell the Seanchan to follow Rand?

#16 RobertAlexWillis

RobertAlexWillis
  • Members
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 05:09 PM

I don't personally see the Horn being blown again until Tarmon Gaidon, but thats just my opinion.

#17 Weasel

Weasel
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:22 PM

Does anyone else think that "The Grave is No Bar to My Call" is the best individual chapter in the whole series? I am rereading for the (insert number I can't remember)th time, and I just finished the Great Hunt again. Wow.

#18 Angel of Death

Angel of Death
  • Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:20 PM

I wonder if Mat and the horn will play a role in the Seanchan attack of the white tower. Mat can blow the horn and Hawkwing will tell the Seanchan to follow Rand?

I may be wrong but wasn't the horn taken to the tower?

#19 Vemynal

Vemynal
  • Members
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:50 PM

No spoilers for later books please.

Your title is kinda a spoiler if the person reads the title and then begins book 2, or if they are reading book 2 and see it. i'd change it :P

#20 RobertAlexWillis

RobertAlexWillis
  • Members
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:16 AM

Um ... since this is a thread about book 2, its not exactly a spoiler for later books ....