DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[SG Faire: Band of the Red Hand] Favorite Genre of Music and why?

Jeannaisais

I'm not going to make a poll because there are SOOO many genres I  might forget, so I want to hear what your favorite genre of music is! We in the Band greatly enjoy listening to all sorts of kind of music. I myself go from Contemporary Christian, to Classical, to Spanish (any genre in Spanish is fun for me), and even the occasional pop star (I have a weak spot for Gaga and Adele...strange I know).

So, what's your favorite genre?

And within that genre, who do you listen to the most?

Feel free to post links so we can have a taste!!

I'll leave you guys with one of my all time favorite Spanish songs:

I consider myself having an eclectic taste when it comes to music.  There are few genres I don't like.  Female vocalists are probably at the top of my list at this point in my life and it's a mix of what type of music they perform.  From Enya to Liz Phair. 

But if push comes to shove, my heart lies with my beloved hair bands of the 80s and early 90s.  :biggrin:  When men wore spandex and make-up and sometimes were prettier than the women around them.  My favorite of the bunch would have to be Poison.  And of course I couldn't leave you without sharing their anthem...Talk Dirty to Me.  Enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCChxBSRo1Y

Well, I like rock...

But not the hard rock were the singers scream so lound the bass cracks. >.>

My favourite bands change on a running basis, but for the last months they have been: Deep Purple and Green Day.

I also listen to a little bit from Sick Puppies and have a soft spot for Adele; she's got the voice of the century!

Hmmm I go through a lot of phases XD

Basically I enjoy any genre except hard rock/death metal/screamo etc. Soooome rap is ok.

For the last few years I'm really into female vocalists/solo artists with stand-out voices. Whitney Houston, Eleanor McEvoy, Soraya, Adele, and most recently Missy Higgins who I'm going to see perform tomorrow  night aaaaaaajzkdhfsahdfv!! :laugh:

Country has grown on me... not the Johnny Cash type though XD I like Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson, that kind of feel-good car-ride guitar-play music. Including Taylor Swift! Her voice isn't amazingly special, but the songs are relatable and have great memories attached :P

I like pop - not everything that's playing on the radio nowadays *shudder* But I like dance music, and some of the newer singers/bands are pretty awesome :biggrin:

I like some folk pop too i.e. Blackmore's Night. Recently I discovered a singer/songwriter from my German region who is awesome and sings in our dialect!!! <3 Claudia Koreck
Rock is cool -  THE BEATLES <3 Queen, Metallica, Guns'N'Roses, U2, The Hooters.

Hehe most music I've been exposed to is my parent's old CD collections - I'm just starting to get out there and discover more!

I consider myself having an eclectic taste when it comes to music.  There are few genres I don't like.  Female vocalists are probably at the top of my list at this point in my life and it's a mix of what type of music they perform.  From Enya to Liz Phair. 

But if push comes to shove, my heart lies with my beloved hair bands of the 80s and early 90s.  :biggrin:  When men wore spandex and make-up and sometimes were prettier than the women around them.  My favorite of the bunch would have to be Poison.  And of course I couldn't leave you without sharing their anthem...Talk Dirty to Me.  Enjoy!!

I do not admit to having Gaga on my iPod...and what is it with people from western mass and 80s hair metal? Seriously, everyone I know from "Dragon Country" loves that.

Personally, I jump around a lot. Classical and early music, romantic and grand opera, norwegin black metal, experimental music of all types, pychdellic music and jam bands, and I love going to see live bands, I really don't care what the genre is. Seeing people up on stage having fun and making music is timeless to me. My "all time favourite" band is probably Jefferson Airplane, but this song can always make me smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybAAJqYelqU

[which is, of course, the point of music!]

I do not admit to having Gaga on my iPod...and what is it with people from western mass and 80s hair metal? Seriously, everyone I know from "Dragon Country" loves that.

Personally, I jump around a lot. Classical and early music, romantic and grand opera, norwegin black metal, experimental music of all types, pychdellic music and jam bands, and I love going to see live bands, I really don't care what the genre is. Seeing people up on stage having fun and making music is timeless to me. My "all time favourite" band is probably Jefferson Airplane, but this song can always make me smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybAAJqYelqU

[which is, of course, the point of music!]

Ha!!  I am not from Western Mass!  I am from the exact center of Massachusetts.  Ok, one town southeast of the town that is the exact center of MA.  So your theory is flawed!!  :wink:  Dragon Country??

Amen Red!!! 

Well, not to reveal too much, but I am also from central mass - THIS side of the quabin - and there no be dragons!

Based off your description, I believe I either grew up in the town you are refering to, or one over.

(center) (east)

(south west) (south east)*

*where I grew up.

Also, Red, "RIP Freddie" is offically the second thing we agree on :)

Music on my phones music player includes:

Aerosmith

Eminem

Garth Brooks

Young MC

The Beatles

Barenaked Ladies

POTUSA

Weird Al

Adele

Some Glee

Safety Dance

Johnathan Coulton

Sir Mix A Lot

Elton John

And

Elvis.

I just a handful of my music. I listen to just about anything.

I listen to all sorts of music and enjoy every genre except for rap, with precious few exceptions.  However, the genre that dominates my CD collection is Celtic.  There is nothing like an old irsh aire on a cold winter's morning!  My favorite band is Eachraidh, who specialize in a blend of Celtic and rock.  They tell bits and pieces of history in their songs.  Give them a listen:  www.myspace.com/eachdraidh.

I'll definately have to check them out Elynde.  Sounds like something I would like.  :)  I love Celtic music when I just want to relax and take myself back to the times I went to Ireland.

Tyzack..sounds like we're neighbors or were at one point.  Growing up I heard a lot of Richard Hurtz/Hertz/Hurts jokes because of my town's name.  Now if you figure it out, you have to promise to come stalk me.  :wink:

My response to that has always been "A kid in my class's name was actually '<first name> [last name/Name of town]' so he got the brunt of the jokes."

I normally say "central mass" "worcester" or "near mt. wachusett" you'd be suprised how boston-centric people are here!

I like country because there's so much heart in it. It actually isn't all about whiskey and trucks. It's about life. It's about love. It's about going through dark times and making it through them. There are sad songs, yes, but if you listen to the sad songs, most of them end in hope. Country music is about story telling, family, and God. 

I like lots of different stuff, and I'm rubbish at classifying things, but most of the bands I listen to a lot have roots in folk. Mumford & Sons, Floggin Molly... My absolute favourite band at the moment (and has been for a few years) is the John Butler Trio. I also like bands like Elbow for the lyrics.

Flogging Molly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAkOhXIsI0 John Butler Trio

Five Alarm Funk - although they are much better live than recorded.

I listen to Contemporary Christian. My favorite band is probably Skillet. I also like some Red but not all, though my kids really get into their harder stuff. And I love Plumb's new song, Need You Now (How Many Times)! Other bands on my phone are: Decypher Down, Disciple, Fireflight, Kutless, Manafest, and Abandon, as well as Jeremy Camp, Casting Crowns, Third Day, Barlow Girl, and others. Heck, I'm even singing (background vocals) in a couple songs on my phone (from when I was on the worship arts team at church and we released a CD)!

Some of my favorite Skillet songs are Comatose, The Last Night, Better than Drugs, Falling Inside the Black, and Whispers in the Dark.

I like a little bit of everything. Well, I don´t like jazz, r´n´b or speed metal. I like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Depeche Mode, U2, Garbage, Lady Gaga, Robyn, Björk, Enya, Avril Lavigne...  For me the melody is the most important, the lyric comes second. 

Archived