DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[SG Faire: The Kin] How to Avoid the Yellow Ajah with things from your kitchen

U4ea

Hello from the Kin! We're masters at helping people without drawing the notice of the Tower, so we thought we'd share a few tips and home made remedies for those times when getting a Yellow to help isn't possible!

This is a very open discussion, so if you know another way to handle the given situation, feel free to toss it in! Please keep all interactions in this thread POSITIVE! The Kin is a DRAMA FREE zone, and since this is our thread, the same rule applies.

*Little medical note: We're not doctors or Yellow Ajah. A few might be Wisdoms, but most of us are just people who can't run to the doctor for every sniffle. As such, please use your best judgement when attempting any of these home remedies and call your local medical professional if you're dealing with something a little aroma therapy can't handle.

First situation: Allergies are causing my sinuses to stage a revolt! My head hurts, my tonsils are swollen, I have a dry, shallow cough, sores in my mouth, and a little bit of congestion in my chest.

Possible assistance:

1- take a teaspoon of local honey every day to avoid this starting in the first place. Your body will process the pollen before your sinuses get attacked by it.

2- for the cough and congestion: mix Apple Cider Vinegar, Honey, Ginger, and Cayenne pepper in warm water and store it in a jar. Take a tablespoon as needed to relieve the cough and congestion.

3- for the mouth sores (I actually had to do this in middle school), mix 1 part liquid antacid with 1 part children's Benedryll. Shake well, then swish and gargle for 30 seconds. It tastes horrible, but it works!

For upset stomachs, or light nausea:

Take a small glass (whiskey tumbler i.e.), fill it with soda water (carbonized water without salt added), add a few drops of cocktail bitters (I recommend Angostura). Sip slowly until you've drunk it all. This really works, it's also great for hangovers to settle the stomach.

For sore throats and coughing, during a cold or the flu:

Put water in a kettle. Add a good sized table spoon of honey, 2-3 slices of lemon, a couple of garlic slices, and a piece of ginger. Let it boil up, then drink it while still warm. Add more honey to make it easier to drink. It tastes a bit awful because of the garlic, but it does help alot to relieve the throat!

Aloe Vera Plants.

Heal Wounds.

Sunburn.

Skin Infections.

psoriasis.

Constipation.

Aloes are historically linked to the ancient Egyptians. The gel inside the aloe vera plant can be spread directly on the skin, and the leaves can be juiced.

Dandelion

The first recorded use of dandelion for medicinal purposes is from the Arabians around 900 AD; however, it is believed the Chinese were using dandelions long before that. Dandelion is believed to be one of the original bitter herbs used for Passover in the Bible. There are records of the Welsh using it in the 13th century.

Dandelion herb has been associated with improving liver function and liver diseases such as hepatitis and jaundice. It is a strong diuretic that does not deplete potassium in the body. It has been shown to improve both constipation and diarrhea. It purifies the blood, cleanses the digestive system, removes heavy metals from body tissues, and can help dissolve kidney stones. It has been shown to help weight loss, cure acne, lower high blood pressure, cure anemia, lower serum cholesterol levels, reduce acid indigestion and gas, improve some cancers, and help control diabetes all with no negative side effects. The dandelion herb is full of so many vitamins, minerals and micronutrients that alone might be the reason it is so beneficial in so many different areas.

Situation # 2: It's cold outside! While I know there's not a whole lot we can do about that part, it's still wreaking havoc with my hell being! My skin is dry all the time, my knuckles are cracked to the point that they're bleeding, my lips are chapped, and I get shocked every time I touch something! Did I forget to mention? It's COLD??? 

Possible remedies:

As Ryrin mentioned already: Aloe is awesome! There's a reason why it's in tissues these days! 

For the hands, try these lotion recipe:

Miracle Hand Lotion

Honey Butter lotion

Anti-Eczema Lotion

Lotion from OpenEyeHealth

There are a ton of these recipes on Pinterest, for those of you there. If you see one there (or anywhere else!)  you like the sound of, feel free to post it! 

I also found a few recipes for sugar scrubs! For those that don't know, it's pretty simple, you rub the sugar scrub onto your skin while you're in the shower and rinse it off. The scrub will scrub the dirt out of your poor and dissolve without clogging it up some more (pretty sweet, right?). Throw in that your body will replenish the oils stripped off by the scrub and you've got a win-win! I've also tried this with salt and it does WONDERS! So, I found a few sugar scrub recipes for you: 

Two blog posts from "In Between Laundry" for sugar scrubs

I found a Vegan sugar scrub on Etsy, but I'm all about doing it yourself and not paying someone else to do it. Besides, who wants to eat their sugar scrub, anyway? 

And lip balm: this is a recipe from ThisChickCooks for home made lip balm! I like the price of her materials enough, this might have to be on tomorrow's shopping list! 

Do you have other ideas? Share away!! Have you tried any of these? Let's dish! 

Two other great remedies for upset stomaches is Mint and Fennel (not together). 

Piano - my mother's grandmother (my great-grandmother) swore by the healing powers of ginger.  But instead of raw ginger or ginger beer, she used to make them drink ginger brandy.  :wink:

First situation: Allergies are causing my sinuses to stage a revolt! My head hurts, my tonsils are swollen, I have a dry, shallow cough, sores in my mouth, and a little bit of congestion in my chest.

Possible assistance:

1- take a teaspoon of local honey every day to avoid this starting in the first place. Your body will process the pollen before your sinuses get attacked by it.

2- for the cough and congestion: mix Apple Cider Vinegar, Honey, Ginger, and Cayenne pepper in warm water and store it in a jar. Take a tablespoon as needed to relieve the cough and congestion.

3- for the mouth sores (I actually had to do this in middle school), mix 1 part liquid antacid with 1 part children's Benedryll. Shake well, then swish and gargle for 30 seconds. It tastes horrible, but it works!

i'll have to try the honey tip next december when my allergies start up *nods* much better than my suggestion, which is to set all the pine trees on the area on fire :laugh:

It works, believe me!

Today's topic is... headaches!

There are many different kinds and a thousand different methods of dealing with them. In the last two years, I've heard some really surprising ones (like the botox injections my neurologist is starting me on in a few weeks!). So, how do you get rid of a headache?

For sinus headaches, I use a heated gel wrap across my forehead and sometimes across my eyes like a mask. Yes, I know that's bad, so don't any of you do it! ;) when they get too bad, I take a hot shower and light candles in the bathroom so I can turn off the bigger lights and inhale the steam.

I also have an herbal rice pack that lays over my eyes (no heat) and helps a lot.

My doctor told me to take a magnesium supplement, too.

I've got cold packs and I've tried the gel things that stick to your skin, too. Cold doesn't seem to help my head, though.

So... what helps you?

For headaches,

Massage the fleshy part between your thumb and forefinger. IT's a bit tricky to get the pressure just right; it's supposed to hurt a little, but not very much :laugh: This eases headaches, especially the "iron band around the scull"-type. Another trick: sit on the floor, on your bum, with legs crossed and knees to the side (like a meditation pose). Rest your elbows on your knees. Make fists with both hands, but let the forefingers point straight forward. Lean your head on your hands to that the knuckles on your thumbs are resting on each side of the narrowest part of your nose, and your forehead rests on your forefingers. Let your head be heavy, so your thumbs give a bit of pressure. Sit like that breathing deeply for a minute or two.

a'll are good! 

OK, so today's focus: fevers! How do you reduce  fever without the aid of Tylenol or Ibuprofen? And yes, Asprin counts as one of those meds, so no cheating! 

I'll steal the obvious ones:

1- tepid bath (beware, this will give you the chills if it's too cold or you stay in too long). 

2- cool drinks, preferably something without a lot of sugars in it.

Other ideas?

Archived