DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Back in the Yard (Training thread, OTA)

Aekold

Walking in to the practice yard with the deadly grace that comes with Cat Crosses The Courtyard, Damon noticed that there were fewer people than usual present. There were the normal amounts of Children walking around the boundaries to wherever they were going. Some even stopped to eye some of those that were training and on occasion some coins changed hands. Some men found his habit of training in the yards un-becoming of a Captain, but Damon thought that a soldier who didn’t keep his skills sharp would die at the hands of a bandit or dark friend who’s skills are kept honed by the constant fight for survival. He was already proficient with sword and bow before officially joining the Children, trained by his father, who served before him and had taught him the added grace and calm that you needed to truly be one with the blade. He rarely had to think anymore to assume the ‘oneness’ it came as easily now as breathing.

Eyeing those few that had gathered, they seemed to be participating in some sort of contest, recruits paired off into teams against each other. To his
disgust, the recruits seemed to be treating it like a game laughing as they dropped their weapons which in reality would mean death. The general feeling
among the more seasoned White cloaks was that the recent additions of men and women coming to train, were filled with zeal and sometimes outright hatred but had little quality to do anything with it. It seemed that most recruits were simply bigots and bearers of ill will with little taste for battle or even the
Light in some cases. Others came with wild-eyed wonder to train among the legendary Children of the Light, their heads filled with adventure and romance. However there were those few who had what it took, the passion, zeal and skill needed, in Order to spread light where there is darkness.

Leaving the recruits to their sport, Damon decided to work his forms, he assumed the stance Leopard In The Tree. On the point of drawing his blade, he assumed the oneness and danced through the forms as formal and graceful as if being examined by Cathel Shinin himself.

• 3 weeks later...

Kyle stood in the practice yard with the rest of the new recruits.  They seemed to be goofing off rather than taking the practice session seriously.  Hopefully soon some of them would get their act together and actually work at bettering themselves.  Kyle wondered how the rest of the recruits grew up.  On the street he had learned that you needed to focus and be prepared for anything and maybe that's why he saw things more seriously.  His sparring partner was focusing on another group of recruits that were making jokes.

Kyle debated working on the forms on his own, but would rather practice his skills with someone else.  He looked around and saw most of the recruits were paired, some working hard and others not so much.  Kyle's eyes were drawn to Captain Damon Shinnin who was working on his sword forms by himself away from the group.  Kyle wondered if the captain would help him with his sword forms.  Kyle new from experience that moving towards someone from behind or the side could frighten them and Kyle decided that it was probably best to approach the captain from a direction in which he could see him coming.

Kyle moved around the courtyard so that he could approach Captain Shinnin from the front.  He tried to display confidence, but he approached somewhat awkwardly, showing his nervousness in approaching the captain.  Damon put his sword down at his side as Kyle approached.  Kyle snapped to attention and saluted.

"Sir, I was wondering if you would be willing to help me with my sword forms?" Kyle asked with nervousness in his voice.

Heron takes flight, Whirlwind on the Mountain and Heron Spreads its wings, Damon danced as if he was faced on all sides his eyes caught sight of the young recruit he met in the mess hall, and as suddenly as death comes so did the end of the dance as hiss blade flashed in the arc of Spreading the fan, only to return to its sheath. He stood still as the young man approached.

"Sir, I was wondering if you would be willing to help me with my sword forms?" Kyle asked with nervousness in his voice.

Damon smiled, he knew this one had determination. “Are you not happy...” He looked towards the other recruits, one had a practice blade tangled in between his legs and he was one who doing well, “...um training, with the others recruit Kyle?” Damon laughed as the boy looked from him to the fresh recruits and a frown creased his brow. “Never fear lad, it always sad to dance alone. You look as if you’ve drawn a blade a few times. Show me what you know and we’ll go from there. Raise your blade and begin!”

“Are you not happy ...um training, with the others recruit Kyle?” Damon said laughing as Kyle frowned at the other recruits practicing. “Never fear lad, it always sad to dance alone. You look as if you’ve drawn a blade a few times. Show me what you know and we’ll go from there. Raise your blade and begin!”

Kyle unsheathed his blade.  The blade felt long and heavy in his hands.  He was more used to using knives and daggers, but he was doing pretty well with most of the forms.  Kyle was sure the older man would notice the hesitation in his face and in his stance.  Kyle knew he was fighting an opponent who was definitely a superior swordsman.

We are just training. Everything will be fine. Kyle thought

Kyle stepped forward, approaching with Heron Wading in the Rushes. Kyle's balance was superb from spending his life sneaking around when he need food or coin.  As he approached Damon, Kyle switched to use Leaf on the Breeze.  The form still felt awkward in his hands, but Kyle did his best.  He knew the elder swordman would easily block the attack, but Kyle also knew that since he was practicing against a superior opponent, he would improve more quickly than he would against the rag-tag recruits in the yard today.  Kyle used Leaf on the Breeze while keeping his eye on Damon's sword to see where he would attack.

The recruit drew his blade almost hesitantly, in normal instances it was an offense to bare live steel to an officer, but this was training and Damon wanted to see how the recruit would act when blood could be spilled. Once he knew the extent of the lad’s skill and they would switch to dull weapons so that he could test the lad without risk of injury.

Kyle’s reluctance did him credit, it meant that he was no fool to rush in and knew that what he carried was death and did not want to use it freely. If the boy had leapt at the opportunity Damon would have disarmed him and kept a watch on his activities. Kyle showed none of this and was obviously thinking things through, concentration painting his face. His balance was good but his form seemed rigid and awkward as if his muscles were unused to the movements. Damon raised his blade to deflect an attempted Leaf on the breeze but offered no counter attack he wanted to see what the recruit could muster by way of attack and whether or not he could keep his wits.

“Good feet lad, but remember the blade must be an extension of yourself. No need to be so stiff. Loosen your muscles and joints and move as if at a dance and it is a fair maiden’s hand you hold. Not to tight as to cause pain but enough to know you enjoy her company and don’t want to let go.” He said with a smile. He liked this recruit if his views on Aes Sedai could be tempered he would see about adding him to his unit once anointed.

Edited by Aekold

Damon easily deflected Kyle's blow.  Kyle was not surprised, but soon thereafter, Damon offered advice.

“Good feet lad, but remember the blade must be an extension of yourself. No need to be so stiff. Loosen your muscles and joints and move as if at a dance and it is a fair maiden’s hand you hold. Not to tight as to cause pain but enough to know you enjoy her company and don’t want to let go.”

Kyle frowned a little bit at the last part of his description.  Only recently in his life had any woman ever found him anything less then offensive.  Apparently he looked good when cleaned up, but Kyle nodded in understand.  Kyle rolled his shoulders and closed his eyes, allowing his emotion to drain out.  He felt suddenly calm and flexible.  He reset his stance and attempted Leaf on the Breeze on more time.  Kyle thought it would be best to use the same technique so Damon could evaluate him more thoroughly.  The form felt more natural this time.

"Was that better sir?" Kyle asked politely.

Damon nodded appreciatively, the lad learned fast and took instruction well. He also noted the lack of emotion within the Recruit. It seemed he had already achieved some semblance of ‘the Oneness’. Damon decided that instead of duelling Kyle it would be best to show him some of the forms and train him properly.

Damon assumed the stance Apple Blossom in the Wind, his blade is held low but in a relaxed grip.

“This form is Apple Blossom in the Wind you move slowly, as if being gently guided by the breeze. The blade may move up or down as you do, but it is still held in a low guard. Now have a try.” They went on like this for about an hour Damon showing him different forms and Kyle imitating them. Damon would adjust him until it was perfect straightening his back to fit rapping his knuckles when his grip grew too tight. Frustration flashed across his young face on occasion but soon disappeared. Damon smirked, so he hasn’t managed to  completely control his emotions, but that will come.

“Very good lad, tell me when did you first learn the trick of suppressing your emotions? Do you use a flame, a well or perhaps a river? There are many visualisations you can use to achieve the Oneness but the effect is the same. I, myself use a sword and I visualise it being sheathed encasing all my anger and fear allowing my mind to both think and react clearly.”

Kyle worked hard listening to the words of the elder swordsman and taking them to heart.  Sometimes Kyle felt his form becoming more stiff and he received reminders from the Damon with either words or a quick rap on the knuckles.  After an hour of practice, Kyle found himself drenched with sweat and quite tired.  As he tired, it was harder to hide any frustration he felt.  As they got closer to finishing, Damon spoke.

“Very good lad, tell me when did you first learn the trick of suppressing your emotions? Do you use a flame, a well or perhaps a river? There are many visualisations you can use to achieve the Oneness but the effect is the same. I, myself use a sword and I visualise it being sheathed encasing all my anger and fear allowing my mind to both think and react clearly.”

Kyle thought about it for a bit before answering.  I learned to supress my emotions when I was living as a vagabond.  I learned that sometimes it is better to not show emotion or allow emotion to affect decisions.  There are times when I cannot surpress them - times when I lose control." Kyle tried to supress a wince as he thought of the few times where he couldn't think clearly.  It usually came when he saw fathers with small children or channelers.  "To achieve it though, I usually think of a hole and allow my emotion to drain into it."

Damon listened as Kyle spoke of times when his emotions got the better of him. It was very common amongst young men and often led to either banditry or soldiery. Violence was in the blood and it takes training and tempering in order to channel it properly.

“Well that will do us for today lad, you did well and show promise. If you would like to talk more about the Army of Light or to continue your lessons come see me in my office in the Captain’s quarters on the morrow. If I am free from commitments I will be happy to illuminate your path.” Damon turned to leave but hesitated. Kyle would be an asset to the army but he must show that the Whitecloaks are united under one banner and dispel the rumours of strife. “Also talk to some of the officers from within the Hand and the Eyes of the Light before deciding anything. Dismissed.”

Edited by Aekold