A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Anyone around?

Wedge

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am! I have a Wise One Dreamwalker. 

Myst is semi around. She's been having computer issues that keep keeping her away from DM, but hopefully she will be back now that her computer is fixed. 

Emily has a Wise One dreamwalker too, but she just had a baby yesterday, and is on LoA, so she probably won't be around much for a while.

Sorry for my late response, Wedge. I have a muscle inflamation in my upper right arm and my doctor instructed me to limit my use of that arm. Which is sort of difficult since im alone, so no one around to help out with anything, and I'm righthanded as well.

Ok, I just noticed that in your training thread there's an RP missing before the welcome to your society RP.

So the actual choice of your society doesn't 'have' to be RP'd. It can be assumed. But you obviously can RP it. This is the process where he makes up his mind for himself to join X Society. While a Maiden or a Wise One would never actively interfere with that process, it is possible for him to come to the conclusion of which society he'd like to join after he had an encounter with either of them.

Then there is the RP 'Furthering your Training', which normally is an extensive training RP that brings your character up to Weapon Score 11.

And then there's the Welcome to your Society RP which brings your character to Weapon Score 12 and his status as a fully trained Society member in the story.

What we can do in this case, is put all three of these situations in to one, continuous RP. Sort of like a mini storyline of how he choses his Society, trains towards it and ends up joining it. Since we don't have a Society Leader for the Sovin'Nai (or any other Society for that matter) yet, you can describe your initiation or your joining in the last post as a closing to the ministory.

If this sounds ok to you, then I'd like you to come up with a situation that would lead to his choosing that society. I can use my maiden or my wise one for this part. Then for the training, I can create an NPC Sovin'Nai character. But I want you to come up with the storyline itself that we will follow. Alright?

OK, So here is an outline i think could be good:

* Furthering your Training

Now you will have a chance to learn the skills specific to your chosen Society and practice dancing the spears. 
Completion of this training thread (10 post minimum) in weapons and skills relating to your chosen Society will take you to WS11.

• Training at the spears with a maiden, the Sovin'Nai chief is watching and notices that I have trouble holding extra spears due to my injury, missing my pinky and most of my ring finger on my left hand (see my bio).
  • He tries to see my skill at knives, as i can hold one in my left hand without a problem. I excel at them in general, and with his training i improve
  • Continued training with him and the maiden, throwing and hand to hand knife combat
  • A runner comes announcing a Shaido raid on near bye goat pen(outside our hold). 
  • We (a dozen warrioers/maidens)arrive to fine some dead warriors, and the shaido leading the goats away
  • Sneaking at first, we surprise attack, lose some, win back the goats
  • the Sovin'Nai leader is part of the action, afterwards, i am accepted into the society 

how is that?

Edited by Wedge

Sounds good to me.

Since we don't have a Sovin'Nai chief, I suggest we refer to him in our posts without using him as a first person speaker. We'll need a name for him though, for this RP at least.

So to clarify, we'll post stuff like:

Lantar Defion stood watching me as I struggled against the Maiden. It was pretty obvious how my injury interfered with my spear training.

Can this work for you? It would save us the trouble of creating an extra character that we may never use again.

Wedge, I just noticed that there is one element missing in your outline above. The moment where Cairin decides to join the Sovin'Nai.

Also, I'm fine with moving forward in the story, just be careful not to shortcut too much. You seem to have a tendency to want to jump to the end result. Your two solo Rp's were shorter than I would normally accept and now I'm worried you want to jump towards the end of what is basicaly supposed to be two very extensive RP's.

Remember, your character will gain 2 Weapon Score points from this. Each point represents a significant RP of their own (1 of them no less than 10 posts). It won't do to just post one or two posts per section and then go tada, the end. I want to see some contents now. Don't look at it as a back & forth of the same stuff, look at it as an opportunity for character building as well and a way to further introduce your character to the general reader.

Don't rush it, it's not a race.

For instance, in this story you could have explored his insistance of pressing forward past first blood. It is quite telling of his character and also hints towards how he understands Ji'e'toh. Not everything has to be spelled out literally, a lot of things can be told through a character's actions, reactions, etc.

So, yes to moving the story forward. But with care and consideration for your character's development. And (not unimportant), keeping in mind that we don't reward rush jobs. These are the Aiel, not some soft wetlander :wink:

Oooh!  Sovin Nai!

If you need help with training up, I used to RP the Sovin Nai society leader, and I think I still have some of the training and other society-specific stuff lying around somewhere.

Wedge, I just noticed that there is one element missing in your outline above. The moment where Cairin decides to join the Sovin'Nai.

Also, I'm fine with moving forward in the story, just be careful not to shortcut too much. You seem to have a tendency to want to jump to the end result. Your two solo Rp's were shorter than I would normally accept and now I'm worried you want to jump towards the end of what is basicaly supposed to be two very extensive RP's.

Remember, your character will gain 2 Weapon Score points from this. Each point represents a significant RP of their own (1 of them no less than 10 posts). It won't do to just post one or two posts per section and then go tada, the end. I want to see some contents now. Don't look at it as a back & forth of the same stuff, look at it as an opportunity for character building as well and a way to further introduce your character to the general reader.

Don't rush it, it's not a race.

For instance, in this story you could have explored his insistance of pressing forward past first blood. It is quite telling of his character and also hints towards how he understands Ji'e'toh. Not everything has to be spelled out literally, a lot of things can be told through a character's actions, reactions, etc.

So, yes to moving the story forward. But with care and consideration for your character's development. And (not unimportant), keeping in mind that we don't reward rush jobs. These are the Aiel, not some soft wetlander :wink:

ok. The last time i RPd was literally years and years ago, so i'm still sorta new to it again. I had thought the choice would be after the battle. I'll try to slow down. 

No worries, Wedge. Just thought I'd talk this through to avoid any missunderstandings :)

Quibby, that would be great! Ok, so this is a bit controversial, so we have to adjust. You will need to resubmit the character, of course. But meanwhile I don't see why you can't join the RP with the character to take part in the raid and also take the lead afterwards when Cairin decides to join the Society. The raid should last for a couple of posts. After the battle, Cairin will decide to join that society. At that point the Society Leader needs to take the lead with some sort of initiation ceremony.

From the progression system:

Welcome to your Society

You are now ready to join your Society of choice. Each of them will have a short, role-playable initiation ceremony or some sort, written by the Society Leader to welcome you and give you a chance  to meet your new family. You will then be a member of whichever Society you choose.
You are now WS12, and ready to do battle.

You think you can work out something for this? It would definately be much more fun to RP with the acutal Society Leader rather than an NPC reference one.

ok, Q, let us know when you're ready to join in. Meanwhile we're going to continue as is.

Wedge, sorry for the delay. Been a bit busy with returning to work and also going to hospital. Splitting headache not conducive to creative thought, unfortunately. I will have a post for you tomorrow, promise.

I have a very good reason why I can't resubmit and jump in with that character: I killed him.

I can write up an NSW Society Leader on the brink of retirement who can guide Wedge's character through everything, then hand over the reins when he has satisfied the requirements to make the rank.

ok, Q, let us know when you're ready to join in. Meanwhile we're going to continue as is.

Wedge, sorry for the delay. Been a bit busy with returning to work and also going to hospital. Splitting headache not conducive to creative thought, unfortunately. I will have a post for you tomorrow, promise.

It's all good. I've been moving and doing other stuff as well.