DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Butchers Bill (Full Spoilers)

Barid Bel Medar

As requested, a topic for the confirmed deaths in aMoL of all named characters. 

I'll provide an "official" list in the OP. I'll start with the ones I can think of off the top of my head, however, it will most likely not be the complete list, and I'll add more when you guys pick up ones that I will miss. I will only add characters that have been established, not red-shirts. Any character that has been established in more than one book. 

I will also create another list here of characters who are techinically alive, but for all intents and purposes are dead. Like Serene and Graendal and the Turned Asha'man, or those who were destroyed by Drakghar. 

A final note - also a place to discuss the ambiguity of some of the characters fates. The ones that come to mind are Amys, who was last seen getting blown up by lightning, but we don't actually see her die, nor is their enough description to say she would never have survived the attack. Morgase is another one - she was briefly mentioned as helping out the group that Mellar was in. Then there was the dead body similar to Elayne that they used as the "fake dead Queen". 

Anyway, you get the idea. 

Death Toll: 

The Light:

Egwene al'Vere: Died via overuse of the OP through a sa'angreal that lacked a buffer. Took out M'Hael and hundreds of Sharan Channelers in the process with her anti-balefire weave. This weave also partially restored the Pattern and possibly saved it from falling apart.

Birgitte Silverbow: Killed by Hanlon when he and his DF's attack Elayne. Comes back again as a Hero of the Horn, and kills Mellar and fights the rest of the LB alongside Elayne. Stays to see Rand's funeral and say goodbye to Elayne. She mentions she is being reborn as she fades away. 

Gawyn Trakand: Killed by Demandred in a sword duel. 

Rhuarc, Clan Chief of the Taarad Aiel, Nine Valleys Sept.  Aethan DorCompelled by Graendal, killed by Aviendha when he attacks her. 

Suian Sanche: Died saving Mat and Tuon from a burning tent, mirroring the story she told Mat in tDR.

Gareth Byrne: Killed while fighting Shadowspawn (presumably) in a suicidal charge because of the Warder Rage felt with Suian's death. 

Davram and Diera Bashere: Killed by Shadowspawn at the FoM, fighting in the ordinary ranks, guilty because of Graendal's Compulsion.

Alanna Mosvani: Killed by Moridin via knife at Shayol Ghul in an attempt to induce the Warder Rage with Rand. Released the bond before she died. 

Hurin: Fell fighting Shadowspawn at the FoM to by Lord Rand enough time to defeat the DO. 

Arlen Naalam: Killed in the fighting in Androl's rescue attempt of Logain. 

Evin Vinchova: Turned by the Dreadlords at the Black Tower. Androl uses his madness to make him lash out at the other Dreadlords. Killed by 

Bulen: Killed on the Sheinarian battlefront hiding his wounds. Preserved in snow by Lan and Narishma to be retrieved as a Lord of Malkier. 

Beldeine Nyram : Min's viewing fulfilled, she is killed by Sharans wielding black daggers. 

Karldin Manfor: Dies with Beldeine.

Romanda Cassin: Killed doing what she does best. Ignoring orders. Killed by Sharan channelers when she tried to embrace the Source to escape the Kandori battlefront. 

Deepe Bhadar: Killed by Dreadlords trying to take down M'Hael on the Shienarian battlefront. 

Trom: Whitecloak officer, friend of Galad. Killed off-screen during the battle at Cairhien. 

Berisha Terakuni: Injured by the bubble of evil at Tar Valon, then murdered by Aravine. 

Alsalam Saeed Almadar: Slain at the Shayol Ghul battlefront off-screen.

Tenobia Kazadi: Killed off-screen fighting Shadowspawn on the Shienarian front. Graendal's Compulsion on Alegmar put her in a position to be killed. 

Kiruna Nachiman: Killed by Graendal at Thakandar. Due to being in a Circle with Aviendha, could not fight back. 

Faeldrin Harella: Killed by Graendal in the same circumstances as Kiruna. 

Kwamesa Sedai: Killed by Demandred at the FoM battle. 

Bertain Gallenne: Slain on the Andor/Cairhien battlefront. 

Doesine Alwain: Killed by Sharan channelers at the FoM battle. 

Jori Congar: Bled to death under a Trolloc at the FoM. 

Enaila of the Chareen Aiel, Jarra Sept: Killed at the FoM by four Trollocs. 

Sashalle Anderly: Compelled by Graendal and drained of strength. Presumably dead. 

Vitalien: Sarene's Warder. Killed by Graendal when Sarene was taken as a "pet". 

The Shadow:

Moridin: After the body-swap, Moridin is burned in Rand's body. 

Demandred: Killed by Lan at the FoM.

Cyndane/Lanfear: Killed by Perrin after he overcomes her compulsion while she is about to kill Moriaine. 

Mazrim Taim/ M'Hael: Killed by Egwene with the anti-balefire weave. Crystalized with Sarkanen. 

Isam Mandragoran/ Luc Mantear/ Slayer: Killed by Perrin's hammer-blow with something to do with flickering. 

David Hanlon: Killed by Birgitte after she returns as a Hero of the Horn while assaulting Elayne. 

Aravine Carnel: Betrayed Faile and revealed as a Darkfriend. Killed by Faile while trying to take the Horn to Demandred.

Duhara Basaheen: Killed by Aviendha in the first assault on Thakandar, abandoned by Graendal. 

Falion Bhoda: Killed by Aviendha, same as Duhara. 

Jeaine Caide: Killed by Thomdil Merrilin trying to enter the Pit of Doom. (Four others had been killed like this, most likely the remaining Black Ajah we didn't hear from in the book. I'd say they were probably the ones left over from Moghedien's group.) 

Other: 

Padain Fain/Mordeth/Shaisam: Killed by Mat at Shayol Ghul, pierced in the heart by the Ruby Dagger. 

Effectively dead, yet technically alive: 

Graendal/Hessalam: Compulsion backfired when Aviendha un-wove her Gateway, reduced to a mindless adoring pet. May be able to be healed, however, it is unlikely that they would do so even if they could.

Sarene Nemdahl: Under Graendal's heavy Compulsion. Nynaeve may be able to heal it fully, however, she would most likely die or be a husk.

Kurin Mezar: Turned by Dreadlords at the Black Tower. Fate unknown. (May have died in the Black Tower when Androl opened the floor-gateway thing.)

Welyn Kajima: "Same as Mezar"

Donalo Sandomere: Turned by Dreadlords. Fought at the FoM. Captured with Mishraile and Aliviarin by the Ogier. The Turning may someday be able to be Healed, however, currently he is for all intents and purposes dead. 

Ayako Norsoni: Bonded to Donalo, Turned. In the same situation as him. 

Tarna Feir: Turned. Fate unknown. 

Toveine Gazal: Turned, released from the Bond by Logain. Fate Unknown. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their fates are unknown as far as I know. 

One would assume they have died. As far as the book goes, only Faile and Olver are seen to survive from that group. 

However, in his Tor Chat, Brandon confirmed that Setalle Anan survived. It could be that Vanin and Harnan also do. We just don't know (at least I didn't see it.)

Delarn (or something similar) is the Redarm with the Hinderstap people. He and his 100 soldiers were presumably killed in the initial battle. Since they weren't from Hinderstap, they presumably didn't survive. We don't see any soldiers come back when the Hinderstap people return, so I think it's safe to say that they are dead. 

However, I hesitate to add it to the list. Like Setalle - and Lan - characters who seem to be dead have survived. It is possible that Delarn survived against the odds. 

New piece in the Morgase mystery. In the Chapter : Those Who Fight, or something similar, when Rand lists a bunch of people who went through a lot of crap - who still fought. 

The first person he thinks of is Morgase - and that she still fights. 

This is after the Mellar scene, and Rand has already seen Egwene etc.. die. 

So it certainly seems like Morgase is alive. 

However, with the timeline so distorted, it's hard to actually say for certain. 

I find it hard to swallow that Morgase is the dead/Elayne doppelganger just because I think Elayne would have had a stronger reaction.  Don't have the book with me right now, but it seemed as if the tone of the scene wasn't as intense as it would have been had Elayne noticed the dead look-alike was her mother.

I find it hard to swallow that Morgase is the dead/Elayne doppelganger just because I think Elayne would have had a stronger reaction.  Don't have the book with me right now, but it seemed as if the tone of the scene wasn't as intense as it would have been had Elayne noticed the dead look-alike was her mother.

After reading the one suggestion about Morgase being the corpse on the horse, I am itching to get home to my book as well.  I do think Elayne could be given some credit in the emotional part of it since her warder just died, her babies are threathened to be cut out of her, and Mellar threathened to have his way with the Queen.  I can see how a corpse on a horse might not receive the attention it deserved.

Delarn (or something similar) is the Redarm with the Hinderstap people. He and his 100 soldiers were presumably killed in the initial battle. Since they weren't from Hinderstap, they presumably didn't survive. We don't see any soldiers come back when the Hinderstap people return, so I think it's safe to say that they are dead.

the 100 soldiers come back with hinderstap people for the second battle :

" with them came more soldiers of the band , like the hundred who had fought here before. Except ...

except by the light of the dreadlord's dires , the faces of those soldiers were the same as ones who had fought here before ... fought here and died "

it's p829 ( end of chapter 40 )

" with them came more soldiers of the band , like the hundred who had fought here before. Except ...

except by the light of the dreadlord's dires , the faces of those soldiers were the same as ones who had fought here before ... fought here and died "

Ahh, my mistake. That's strange. 

It could make a funny scene. I wonder if they all killed themselves in the middle of town or something. 

They must have went back and gotten themselves killed somehow. 

Yeah, they said at Merrilor 6 clan chief's were lost. 7 Including Rhuarc. 

That is one of the biggest problems with this list. 

So many characters died unnamed that we can't say if they are dead or not. 

For example, hundreds of Aes Sedai died. No doubt that includes many of the named characters we have seen in the previous books. However, since we don't get any names, we can't say which ones actually died and which survived. 

Same with the Black Ajah, there are heaps of named Black Ajah. There are a heap of dead Black Ajah. However, since they weren't named, again, we can't put them on the dead list. 

Yeah, they said at Merrilor 6 clan chief's were lost. 7 Including Rhuarc. 

That is one of the biggest problems with this list. 

So many characters died unnamed that we can't say if they are dead or not. 

For example, hundreds of Aes Sedai died. No doubt that includes many of the named characters we have seen in the previous books. However, since we don't get any names, we can't say which ones actually died and which survived. 

Same with the Black Ajah, there are heaps of named Black Ajah. There are a heap of dead Black Ajah. However, since they weren't named, again, we can't put them on the dead list. 

Which is so annoying because even though most of those named Aes Sedai throughout the book played small roles, many of them still got POVs e.g. Seaine, and Samitsu etc etc.

I always like the little group of White Tower sitters who were hunting down the Black Ajah inside the tower.

We know that Saerin, Yukiri and Pevara live, and Doesine dies. But what THE HELL happened to Seaine!?!? GAAAAAAH!

Yeahh, it is frustrating. 

I would like to believe that all the Aes Sedai that died were Aes Sedai that were previously unnamed and all the named ones died, but WE JUST DON"T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone needs to sit Brandon down and go through a list of named characters and ask about their fate. 

Or I hope they put some of it in the Encyclopaedia. 

I'll provide an "official" list in the OP. I'll start with the ones I can think of off the top of my head, however, it will most likely not be the complete list, and I'll add more when you guys pick up ones that I will miss. I will only add characters that have been established, not red-shirts. Any character that has been established in more than one book. 

I will also create another list here of characters who are techinically alive, but for all intents and purposes are dead. Like Serene and Graendal and the Turned Asha'man, or those who were destroyed by Drakghar. 

A final note - also a place to discuss the ambiguity of some of the characters fates. The ones that come to mind are Amys, who was last seen getting blown up by lightning, but we don't actually see her die, nor is their enough description to say she would never have survived the attack. Morgase is another one - she was briefly mentioned as helping out the group that Mellar was in. Then there was the dead body similar to Elayne that they used as the "fake dead Queen". 

Death Toll: 

The Light:

Egwene al'Vere: Died via overuse of the OP through a sa'angreal that lacked a buffer. Took out M'Hael and hundreds of Sharan Channelers in the process with her anti-balefire weave. This weave also partially restored the Pattern and possibly saved it from falling apart.

Birgitte Silverbow: Killed by Hanlon when he and his DF's attack Elayne. Comes back again as a Hero of the Horn, and kills Mellar and fights the rest of the LB alongside Elayne. Stays to see Rand's funeral and say goodbye to Elayne. She mentions she is being reborn as she fades away. 

Rhuarc, Clan Chief of the Taarad Aiel, Nine Valleys Sept.  Aethan DorCompelled by Graendal, killed by Aviendha when he attacks her. 

Suian Sanche: Died saving Mat and Tuon from a burning tent, mirroring the story she told Mat in tDR.

Gareth Byrne: Killed while fighting Shadowspawn (presumably) in a suicidal charge because of the Warder Rage felt with Suian's death. 

Davram and Diera Bashere: Killed by Shadowspawn at the FoM, fighting in the ordinary ranks, guilty because of Graendal's Compulsion.

Alanna Mosvani: Killed by Moridin via knife at Shayol Ghul in an attempt to induce the Warder Rage with Rand. Released the bond before she died. 

Hurin: Fell fighting Shadowspawn at the FoM to by Lord Rand enough time to defeat the DO. 

Evin Vinchova: Turned by the Dreadlords at the Black Tower. Androl uses his madness to make him lash out at the other Dreadlords. Killed by 

Bulen: Killed on the Sheinarian battlefront hiding his wounds. Preserved in snow by Lan and Narishma to be retrieved as a Lord of Malkier. 

Beldeine Nyram : Min's viewing fulfilled, she is killed by Sharans wielding black daggers. 

Romanda Cassin: Killed doing what she does best. Ignoring orders. Killed by Sharan channelers when she tried to embrace the Source to escape the Kandori battlefront. 

Deepe Bhadar: Killed by Dreadlords trying to take down M'Hael on the Shienarian battlefront. 

Trom: Whitecloak officer, friend of Galad. Killed off-screen during the battle at Cairhien. 

Ashmanaille Sedai: Died fighting the Shadow. (I forget the exact circumstances, more info needed) 

Tenobia Kazadi: Killed off-screen fighting Shadowspawn on the Shienarian front. Graendal's Compulsion on Alegmar put her in a position to be killed. 

Kiruna Nachiman: Killed by Graendal at Thakandar. Due to being in a Circle with Aviendha, could not fight back. 

Sashalle Anderly: Compelled by Graendal and drained of strength. Presumably dead. 

The Shadow:

Cyndane/Lanfear: Killed by Perrin after he overcomes her compulsion while she is about to kill Moriaine. 

Mazrim Taim/ M'Hael: Killed by Egwene with the anti-balefire weave. Crystalized with Sarkanen. 

Isam Mandragoran/ Luc Mantear/ Slayer: Killed by Perrin's hammer-blow with something to do with flickering. 

David Hanlon: Killed by Birgitte after she returns as a Hero of the Horn while assaulting Elayne. 

Aravine Carnel: Betrayed Faile and revealed as a Darkfriend. Killed by Faile while trying to take the Horn to Demandred.

Duhara Basaheen: Killed by Aviendha in the first assault on Thakandar, abandoned by Graendal. 

Jeaine Caide: Killed by Thomdil Merrilin trying to enter the Pit of Doom. (Four others had been killed like this, most likely the remaining Black Ajah we didn't hear from in the book. I'd say they were probably the ones left over from Moghedien's group.) 

Other: 

Padain Fain/Mordeth/Shaisam: Killed by Mat at Shayol Ghul, pierced in the heart by the Ruby Dagger. 

Graendal/Hessalam: Compulsion backfired when Aviendha un-wove her Gateway, reduced to a mindless adoring pet. May be able to be healed, however, it is unlikely that they would do so even if they could.

Sarene Nemdahl: Under Graendal's heavy Compulsion. Nynaeve may be able to heal it fully, however, she would most likely die or be a husk.

Kurin Mezar: Turned by Dreadlords at the Black Tower. Fate unknown. (May have died in the Black Tower when Androl opened the floor-gateway thing.)

Donalo Sandomere: Turned by Dreadlords. Fought at the FoM. Captured with Mishraile and Aliviarin by the Ogier. The Turning may someday be able to be Healed, however, currently he is for all intents and purposes dead. 

I can find no reference for Ashmanaille dying. Only that she opened a Gateway for Min to go to the Seanchan camp.

Also, any idea what happened to Silviana? I'm kind of confused we didn't get to see her. Surely, she joined Egwene's rally. Was she Balefired?

And what about Narishma and Merise? All these were with Egwene. Did they live, did they die?

You could be right about Ashmanaille, I went through so many characters it's probably a mistake. 

Your other questions are in with the same problem as the others. We just don't get the information. Someone would need to ask Brandon or Maria to get confirmation I would say. 

Ahh, my mistake. That's strange. 

It could make a funny scene. I wonder if they all killed themselves in the middle of town or something. 

They must have went back and gotten themselves killed somehow. 

No... All they had to do was go to bed the night before in Hindestrap. Hopefully that part of the pattern is fixed now with the DO no longer pulling on the pattern.

Death Toll: 

The Light:

Ashmanaille Sedai: Died fighting the Shadow. (I forget the exact circumstances, more info needed) 

The Shadow:

Other: 

I can find no reference for Ashmanaille dying. Only that she opened a Gateway for Min to go to the Seanchan camp.

Also, any idea what happened to Silviana? I'm kind of confused we didn't get to see her. Surely, she joined Egwene's rally. Was she Balefired?

And what about Narishma and Merise? All these were with Egwene. Did they live, did they die?

Narishma (and consequently Merise) survived Egwene's last stand. He was last seen to heal Lan after his clash with Demandred. Since during it Narisma and Lan went back to the base camp (i.e. they didn't participate the fight) and it happened at the final phase of the battle, he and Merise almost certainly live.

In the same way you can deduct that the all of Rand's and Perrin's Ashaman (except from Karldin) probably survived the FoM. For sure we know only about Flinn and Grady.

Okay, now that I think about it some more, I'm starting to think that it might have truly been Morgase who was used to represent "dead"Elayne.  For that matter, now I'm curious as to whether or not there was a Tallanvor sighting in aMoL.  One would think he would have been somewhere either with Perrin's men or the soldiers of Andor. 

I will be highly disappointed if I find out that Morgase/Tallanvor died as I thought they had wonderful arcs.

Guest fooloflife

Bela, the horse. :( I was certain her and Pips were gonna get together and have a huge family... Since Mandarb was way outta her league.

:laugh:

Seriously, though.  I was more upset about Bela than I was about Egwene.  :sad:

Reading through that list of dead characters is quite shocking.  The only death's I actually recall in detail are the main ones (Egwene, Gawyn, Siuan, Bela, Birgitte).  Tbh, I don't even really remember Gareth's death.  I think it was just mentioned in passing.

I kind of get what team Jordan were going for with a few major characters and a lot of minor characters biting the bullet at the LB, but the deaths just seem to have got lost in the action.  If this was an attempt to show us the abruptness of death, and the fact that in a battle you can't stop and mourn, then fair enough.  My personal opinion is that it doesn't particularly work in this series.  The WoT is not a series about gritty realism, there isn't much death, and when it does happen its a big deal (e.g. Moiraine's "death" resonated througout the rest of the story until her return).  I think a lot of these characters, particularly Siuan and Gareth, deserved a bit more focus, and all of the main characters who died could have done with a bit of recognition from the remaining characters.

Archived