DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Change of Scenery (Attn: Kronos)

Hallia

Hallia followed the Accepted through the maze of corridors after leaving office of the Mistress of Novices.  This place is huge!  I hope I don’t lost too many times before I find my way here.  As they rounded a corner they came to a hallway with several Novices going in and out of doors that lined both sides.  The Accepted stopped at one of these doors and opened it, ushering Hallia inside a room with two beds.  “This is to be your room.  When another Novice enters the Tower they will room with you.  Until then, welcome to the Tower and good luck” With a smile the young woman departed, leaving Hallia alone with her thoughts.

Hallia turned to regard the room, contemplating which bed to take.  Along with the two beds the room contained a pair of stools, a dresser, a wardrobe, a washbasin and two pitchers.  The rest of the room was unadorned.  Hallia rummaged through the room, putting all of the white clothing she’d been given except for the pair of dresses into one of the dresser drawers.  Those she hung in the empty wardrobe before she started shrugging out of her regular clothes and into one of the dresses.  Smoothing the dress out, she pulled the rest of her hair out from under the collar.  She neatly folded her old dress, leaving it on one of the stools as she’d been instructed.  I guess I won’t be needing it for a while…

Unsure of what to do next Hallia took a seat on the bed she’d appropriated for herself and began retying her hair into a loose ponytail with one of the white ribbons she’d been given.  Her stomach rumbled as she finished, reminding her that it was growing late in the day.  Hrm, dinner should be soon.  Light, I hope I can find the Dining Hall Adelaide mentioned.

((Posting this for Wolf, he does not yet have access to the Quarters.  Kathleen's permission. ^.^ ))

Kira left the Mistress of Novices office feeling pretty good.  She was excited about her new life and everything it held for her, but her thoughts began to drift home.  She would miss her family, and although she didn't have many friends in Ebou Dar, she did have some and they were very close.  She didn't get a chance to say goodbye to them either.  She made a mental note to write to them and hopefully she could find someone to deliver a letter.  If not, writing her goodbye would make her feel better about.

Valeri Sedai called to a novice to take her to her room.  Kira got a chance to talk to the novice on the way there.  Her name was Ceridwyn.  Kira took this chance to talk to the novice.  After all, she didn't know anyone here and she thought it would be nice to make some friends.  She found out the girl was from Cairhein and spent her time chit chatting while they moved through the Tower.  Kira tried to memorize the route, but the building was very large.

"Thank you! I hope to see you around sometime" she said to Ceridwyn as she arrived at the room.

Kira opened the room and was surprised and jumped a little upon finding another girl there.  Apparently she had a roommate.  She saw girl wearing novice white with blonde hair and tanned skin.  The girl looked up as Kira entered.  Kira walked in and place her novice dresses on her bed.

"Hello!" she said smiling. "I'm Kira and it looks like we are roommates!"

(OOC - I had BB's permission for putting her character in here)

Edited by Hallia

Lost in her own thoughts, Hallia jumped at the sound of the door opening.  A dark haired girl entered, her hazel eyes widening in surprise as they met Hallia’s

own blue-grey orbs.  Adelaide mentioned most girls had roommates, I guess this is to be mine.  She looks friendly enough; I hope we get to be friends! 

Smiling, Hallia took to her feet as she finished tying her hair back.  ”Good evening Kira, it appears that way! My name’s Hallia, glad to meet you.” She walked

over to the girl, noting happily that she was tall as well.  This pleased her as she had always stood a few inches taller than any of the other girls her age back in her

village.

Hallia extended a hand, her smile deepening as she shook the girl’s hand.  “Where are you from Kira?  I hail from Kandor myself.  I hope you don’t mind I picked a
bed already; I didn’t know they’d be giving me a roommate that quickly!”  Her nervousness at meeting new people often came out in unintentional rambling.  “Have
you had any dinner yet?  I think it must be getting to be that time, but I’ll confess I don’t remember the way to the Dining Hall.  Of course I’m sure there
would be someone we can ask.”  As if to accentuate her statement, Hallia’s stomach burst into a fit of rumbling that caused a light flush of red to grace her cheeks.  “I guess you can see I’m starting to get hungry, heh.”

Kira smiled as the girl introduced herself and told her she was from Kandor.  She listened as the girl talked.  She had met people like this before - ones that talked often because they were nervous at meeting new people.  Most serving girls found they could read people well.  It was part of working at an inn and getting to know many people.  She giggled a bit as Hallia's stomach rumbled in hunger.  She hoped it would make the girl feel more comfortable. 

"Of course I don't mind if you picked a bed already.  I'm from Ebou Dar and my parents owned an inn there.  I'm used to sleeping on pretty much anything depending on the time of year whether that be a nice warm bed, or just a blanket on the floor.  I just got here and have been traveling for a long time.  I think dinner sounds great," Kira's stomach gurgled in reply, releasing more giggles.

"I think I need to change first though," Kira said, looking a little awkward.  Hallia seemed to understand and started unpacking more things as Kira slipped into her white novice dress.  Kira thought a bit about the girl she had just met.  She seemed really nice and both of them seemed to get along just fine.  She thought to herself, I can get used to this.

After she was done, Kira said "Ok...I think I'm ready. Let's go get some food if we don't get lost in here.  So what do you like to do?"

Edited by WolfbrotherKronos

Hallia felt much more at ease when the girl let out a laugh at her rumbling stomach.  She let out a giggle of her own as Kira’s stomach rumbled to match her own.  “Ebou Dar, that’s so far away! I’ve never been there before.  What’s it like?  I know what you mean about traveling; we only just arrived as well.  My legs will tell you that I’ll be happy to not see a horse for some time.”

When the girl mentioned needing to change, Hallia tactfully turned and began to put the last few things of hers away in order to give Kira some privacy. 

When she was finished, Hallia faced the other girl once more.  “Well, before coming here I lived with my mother and was training under her to be the healer for our village.  I love reading and being out in the woods gathering herbs…at least…I did before…”She trailed off for a moment as she thought about the unfortunate events that had brought her to the Tower.  “My mother was killed in a Trolloc raid, and Carella Sedai brought me here once she discovered I could learn to channel.”

As the two girls left their room a bell sounded, washing away the momentary feeling of sorrow.  There were several other girls dressed in all white in the hallway and most appeared to be heading the same direction.  “Do you think they’re heading to the Dining Hall?  It seems late enough in the day to be dinner time.”

Edited by Hallia

Kira listened to the girl and frowned as she told her sad story.  Kira thought about herself and her parents.  She knew she wasn't likely to see them again, but this girl would never see them again.  There was no chance Hallia would see her mother again.  Kira felt the urge to cry a little, but stifled back the tears.  She didn't want to upset Hallia anymore.  As she thought about it though, she knew that the girl was trusting her already.  She would repay the debt and share with this girl some of her weaknesses.

They heard a bell as they left the room and saw other novices heading in a different direction.  “Do you think they’re heading to the Dining Hall?  It seems late enough in the day to be dinner time," Hallia said.

"It seems about right," Kira responded, "and it wouldn't hurt to follow them.  I hope it is dinner time.  I'm starving!"

As they were walking Kira continued, "You shared some pretty sad memories back there.  It makes me happy that you trust me already.  I would like to share something with you, although it's not sad.  I have an issue with holding in my temper and sometimes get mad and lose control.  I hope that never happens to you and I hope I learn to get better here.  I feel like you should know though."

This is the first time Kira had told someone about her anger issues.  Kira felt not only that she could trust Hallia, but that Hallia also had the right to know. Kira had no idea how Hallia would respond.

Edited by WolfbrotherKronos

Hallia smiled at the girl, already feeling a bond of friendship forming with her.  “I appreciate you telling me that as well.  I believe that you being able to admit to having a flaw is a great step to improving!  If there’s anything I can do to help, never hesitate to ask it.  I’m sure the Aes Sedai will also help…though I do not know how welcome their methods might be.  It’s funny, but I do feel like I can trust you, even though we just met.  I just know we’ll be good friends!  ” They followed along with the rest of the Novices through the winding corridors, a faint scent of cooking food beginning to permeate the air.  Something smells good.  Then again not eating all day will do that to a girl.

Rounding a corner the Novices faced a rather tall set of open double doors that appeared to lead into a large Dining Hall.  “When in doubt, follow your nose, eh?”  With a laugh they entered the Hall.  Hallia felt herself flush as her laugh rang through the now empty room, causing several heads to turn in their direction.  Just a moment earlier they had been surrounded by other girls chattering away, but upon entering the Dining Hall everyone else had gone silent.  Oops…I guess we’re not supposed to
eat and talk? 

As they joined the serving line Hallia ducked her head, embarrassed still at her outburst.  Once they’d been served a bowl of soup and warm bread, Hallia and Kira slid into two empty seats at one of the tables.  A few tables over one girl was pretending to pour a bowl of what she imagined was the soup they were all served into her mouth.  She grinned as she watched, trying not to giggle.  So it looks like not everyone’s a stick in the mud.

Kira and Hallia enter the dining hall.  There were so many girls sitting down and eating their dinner.  Kira got her dinner and sat down with Hallia to eat her soup.  It smelled amazing.  On the way to the tower, Kira and Elsyia Sedai had eaten at many inns, but none of her meals had smelled this good.  She brought the spoon to her lips and tried it.  It tasted just as good as it smelled.

Kira looked at Hallia and told her, “If all the food tastes this good here, I might be getting heavier.” Kira giggled at her joke and noticed that Hallia smiled as well.

Yes, Kira thought, I think we’ll get along fine.

Kira told Kira a little more about Ebou Dar and her life there.  “The worst thing was when we would have troublemakers come into the inn.  They would gawk at me and even sometimes touch me.  It never ended well.  I would get angry and threaten them and my dad would usually yell at me for it.  It wasn’t that he agreed with them, but he always wanted me to have him take care of it.  He usually made them leave afterwards.  See…I had a tendency to get violent when the men touched me.  It didn’t help that most of them were ugly.  It often earned me kitchen duty for the night.”

Both the girls finished their dinner.  “Well I’m heading back to the room to finishing getting my dresses hung up.  Are you going as well?” Kira asked Hallia hopefully.  She was really beginning to enjoy the girl's company.

Hallia let out a quiet laugh, attempting not to draw too much attention to their table in the rather quiet Dining Hall.  “I should hope it all tastes this good!”   She then continued eating quietly, listening to the other girl tell her about the place she was from.  She occasionally asked a question but was mainly listening intently to Kira’s tale of this place, so different from her own home.  Her jaw dropped when she mentioned the kitchen duty she’d been assigned.  “But-but it was their fault!  That doesn’t seem fair to me, as they had no right to accost you!”

When Hallia finished her soup she told Kira more about Kandor, giving the girl time to finish her own meal.  They both finished their dinner Hallia stood up after the other girl who had mentioned going back to finish unpacking.  “I am!  We only just arrived today as well, so it’ll be nice to get everything settled. “As they exited the Dining Hall noise seemed to seep back into their surroundings, which allowed the girls to continue their conversation at more than a whisper. 

As they made a few twists and turns through the corridors leading back to the Novice Quarters Hallia paused, looking left and right as they came to a crossing passage.  “Do you remember which way we go?  I wonder if I’ll ever learn my way around here.  This place is so huge!”  At a nod to the left from Kira they continued on their way.  “Or maybe I’ll just have to follow you around!”  This was said with a gentle nudge to the other girl’s ribs.

Edited by Hallia

"I know...will we ever find out where everything is."  Kira said as her city girl instincts kicked in.  "Let's go this way."

Kira's instincts served her right.  The tapestries on the walls looked familiar to her.  Kira and Hallia kept quiet on the way to their room, focusing more on their destination than conversation.  Kira thought about the other girl though.  Kira's thoughts kept going to Hallia's mother.  How would I feel if my mother died like that. Hallia thought.  Light, that would be so terrible.

Eventually the two girls ended up at their room.  It was getting dark and Kira changed into her pajamas and sat on her bed thinking before talking to Hallia.  "You arrived today too right?" Kira said. "Are you nervous? I know I am.  It was hard to leave home, but I knew that I was meant for more than being a serving girl.  I don't think my life here will be easy, but it felt right to come here.  One day, I will be Aes Sedai.  I have to.  This just feels...right."

Kira's expression was blank as she hugged her knees.  She wasn't smiling, but wasn't upset, she was just deep in thought.  She knew the people here would be helpful to her, including Hallia, but she was nervous.  "What if I fail though?  Could I go back to my life in Ebou Dar?  I'm not sure I could.  This place just feels like home.  Do you know what I mean?"

• 2 weeks later...

Hallia followed the other girl through the halls, looking up occasionally at the beautifully crafted tapestries that lined the walls.  “They’re amazing, aren’t they?”  Hallia said this more to herself, not realizing she’d spoken aloud.  The girls soon found their way to the room they shared.  As they entered their room Hallia walked quickly to their little table and lit the lamp there.  “It wouldn’t do for us to break our neck in the dark, would it?”  She smiled before crossing the room to the dresser containing a couple of nightgowns.  Hallia quickly undressed in the now chilly air, grateful when the nightgown was around her and she was under the covers of her new bed. 

“I did indeed arrive today.  Nervous? Light, I thought the Mistress of Novices would be able to hear my teeth chattering when I first came in!  She is very nice though, isn’t she?”  She smiled encouragement at Kira, nodding her head.  “I know what you mean about it feeling right.  We will both be Aes Sedai….who knows, maybe a couple of the best Aes Sedai ever!”  Seeing Kira lost in her thoughts caused her to lapse into her own thoughts.  Hearing the other girl speak she looked back up, coming back to the present.  “You won’t fail.  We’ll help each other, and do well.  And yes, I think I know what you mean…my village didn’t feel like home after Mother died, but I think I could feel at home here.”

Hallia slid down into the bed, propping her head up on one arm as she grinned at Kira.  “Are you looking forward to classes? And channeling?  I know I am!”