DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's Arc (Full Spoilers)

Luckers

@barid bel medar,

"i think the idea was to sow discord between the white and black tower".

personally,i don't believe the plan was to sow discord between the two towers,in my opinion,

mesaana and demandred plan was to unbalance rand and...it worked.

according to steve cooper timeline,rand was incarcerated for 16 days until he managed to break free,

that's 16 days caged inside a box getting constantly beaten by a bunch of aes sedai.

as i wrote in my previous post,moridin was hardly the only manipulator with dark agenda,although

mesaana and demandred did use proxies to achieve their plans,it was rand who bore the whole brunt

of their manipulations.

as a side note,even after so many years,the aftermath of dumai's wells still send shivers down my spine:

"on a day of fire and blood,a tattered banner waved above dumai's wells,

bearing the ancient symbol of aes sedai,

on a day of fire and blood and the one power,

as prophecy had suggested,the unstained tower,broken,bent knee to the forgotten sign,

the first nine aes sedai swore fealty to the dragon reborn

and the world was changed forever."

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RAND AL THOR AND LEWS THERIN,ARE THEY ONE AND THE SAME PERSON?

(this is a continuation of the discussion from mat's memories thread,finnssss correctly

complained that rand hijacked mat's thread-this is my take on a very complicated subject).

the pattern always brings the same soul to lead the forces of light in the last battle,so some

personality traits and behavioral patterns are always going to be the same,but rand was never

meant to be a lews therin carbon copy,that was the forsaken biggest mistake,they expected

rand to be a replica of lews therin  in a different body,but he wasn't.

so is rand al thor and lews therin one and the same person?

i am not sure whether or not there is a correct answer to that question,it all depends on one

personal perception,in my opinion,i think they are,or more accurately,they are a different

version of the same thing,rand took ownership of lews therin memories(like mr ares said)

because they were his memories,rand also took responsibility for lews therin mistakes for

the same reason,they were his mistakes and he needed to rectify his past actions,"redemption,

rand thought.when i tried this last time,my madness destroyed us.this time,it will save us."

the best analogy i could think of is mike oldfield's tubular bells,30 years after its initial release

in 1973,mike oldfield recorded it again and released it as tubular bells 2003 resulting in

two very similar pieces of music with many identical elements between the two but also

many newer elements on the 2003 version.

rand was well aware of the differences between himself and his...former self,he mentioned

it three times,the first time during a conversation with min, the second time during his long

conversation with perrin(the night before the field of merrilor meeting) and the third time during his

encounter with lanfear:"her jaw dropped as she saw the truth-the truth that,down deep,it was not lews

therin who made up rand's core.it was the sheepherder,raised by tam."

back to mat and his memories vs rand and his memories,in my opinion,mat is a 21 years

(and something) old with 1500 years of memories crammed inside his head while rand is a 400+

years old soul inside a 21 years(and something) old body.

Archived