DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Asha'man - Was Johnny Cash?

djstipe

Hello,

I'm new to DM, and even newer to the BT, but thought I'd put this here since it's called the Asha'man.

To the tune of Johnny Cash, "The Highwayman."  I'm wondering if I spelled everything right, and if each of the four lives are congruous?  Looking to clean up the recording and the video, but wanted to make sure I get the facts straight. 

Thanks for the time..

"The Asha'man"

[FYI, replaced original video]

1/8/2013 (Welcome to Tarmon Gai-don)...Editing to show new lyrics...new video on its way!

I was an Asha'man, Tarmon Gai'don on the mind
Pain in the Aes Sedai
Many a Trolloc fell when I destroyed their Fade
Many a Seanchan died upon my saidin blade
Fought Dumai's Wells long before they say I died
Yet I am still alive.

I was a Swordmaster; I was born upon the tide
My Sailmistress I'd abide.
We sailed our vessel through the Bay of Tanchico
I went aloft when our Windfinder sent a blow
And when the yards broke off they say that I got killed
But I am living still.

I was a builder from the Stedding of Shangtai
Sung wood Andoran pride

I left Caemlyn from what was an Ogier grove
Through the Ways where the Black Wind always blows
They say I'm lost to the madness of that sound
But I am still around,

'cuz the Wheel spins me back around

and around and around

and around and around

I'll fight the dark one out there beyond the Blight
And when I reach the other side
I'll join my brothers in the Wolf Dream if I can
Perhaps I may become an Asha'man again
Light, I could even have Lews Therin in my brain
But I will remain

And I'll be back again
and again and again
and again and again
The wheel spins me back again
and again and again

and again and again

Thank you very much...it's been my twenty four hour project for the weekend. Can't wait to get onto some better equipment than the iPhone. I wish it could be sung in the original Highwaymen's voices (Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jemmings and Kris Kristoferson each taking a verse). Love the original. So glad to shar it with people who appreciate it.

aviendha

That was amazing! No, you did not spell everything right but you will get 10 points from me anyway. I sense that you will be a great asset to the BT. :)

I actually posted it hoping to elicit a correction or two so I can nail it before I record it with the good equipment...could you be kind enough to let me know what I got wrong?  I've been an Audiobook "reader" for the second half of the series, so had to look a lot of it up, and relied on wiki's mostly.

And I just got my welcome note...still sorting it all out, but it appears I will need to pick a faction soon.  Thanks for the points!  Careful, so much praise could make someone do something stupid...like proclaim themselves.  ;)  Seriously though, I appreciate the kind words, and if you see anything that's spelled wrong or factually incorrect, please let me know so I can correct it.

Also toying with the idea of adding more verses...could be a female version too...feel free to respond with a verse of your own.  I think an Aiel version would be cool too - Aviehnda or Rand, both have enough lives to pull from.

I didn't look too closely but I did notice aes sedai was spelled incorrectly (you have (ais) and I believe it's lews therin (with an I not an o) but I don't have the books in front if me to check that for sure or any other wot terms. I'd just double check spelling if all wot words and pronunciations. I've only read the series so I'm not 100% on pronunciation.

wait you're asking for spelling corrections? Oh my inner grammar Nazi is pleased

1. First Asha'man is spelt incorrectly - looks like a typo
  2. Yeah, Aes Sedai
  3. Saidin should be capitalised
  4. Stedding of Shangtai
  5. There's a capitalised "F" in "Fight" at 2:04
  6. Dunno about the capitalisation of "Brothers" at 2:21
  7. Lew Therin

Corrections made with love

Awesome, thanks for the time...I'll replace the link once I get it fixed...made some lyric tweeks too.

The first two were type-o's, the rest just the product of reading with my ears instead of my eyes.  Thanks for the fact checks!

Alright.  Tarmon Gai'don's Here, the second version of the video is complete.  Thanks Smiley and Kathleen et al for the feedback!

Now that it's done, though, I don't know what to do with it. 

(It's 2:27 AM here, and I'm going to bed to....listen to AMoL, delivered over two hours ago.  :)  Happy reading/listening y'all.

Alright.  Tarmon Gai'don's Here, the second version of the video is complete.  Thanks Smiley and Kathleen et al for the feedback!

Now that it's done, though, I don't know what to do with it. 

(It's 2:27 AM here, and I'm going to bed to....listen to AMoL, delivered over two hours ago.  :)  Happy reading/listening y'all.

sounds amazing, love the ending as well :)

Archived