DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Post-aMoL Speculation & Discussion (Full Spoilers)

Luckers

How long before the peace of the Dragon gives way before natural impulses? I'd say by the first fifty-sixty years there'd be serious low-simmering tensions and then stuff blows up into a big conflagration.

That's an interesting question.  All this time, it has been assumed that Rand would not survive the LB.  But since he's still around and seems to possess power, he just might be able to do something about the Seanchan and that empress of theirs.  Rand is only what, 20-21 years old?  He's got a very long life ahead of him.  There are lots more than he can do.  He can only wander around for so long.  Eventually, he'd get bored and might want to go back to the Two Rivers.  He's not a thrill-seeker like Mat.  I can see him being happy as a sheep herder and taking over Tam's farm. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the obsession with couples????? Is anyone single in these books, and if you die is it absolutely necessary that your partner die too? I think there was way too much of an attempt to have a satisfying conclusion for every damn character. Sorry Faile, but you should have stayed dead.

What is the obsession with couples????? Is anyone single in these books, and if you die is it absolutely necessary that your partner die too? I think there was way too much of an attempt to have a satisfying conclusion for every damn character. Sorry Faile, but you should have stayed dead.

Who wants to go through life alone.

Secondly, in situations of likely death-soldiers (Rand, Perrin, Mat) tended to couple to pass on their genes before dying. Histrionics of war show this.

"I will break you myself," Fortuona said softly. "Someday, your people will turn you over to me. You will forget yourself, and your arrogance will lead you to our borders. I will be waiting."

"I plan to live centuries," Egwene hissed. "I will watch your empire crumble, Fortuona. I will watch it with joy."

>Tuon frowned. The explosions reflected in her dark eyes. "I'm with child," she said. "The Doomseer has confirmed it."

Post-AMoL crack theory: Egwene will be reborn as Mat and Tuon's child.

I like that idea very much!

Wow, one of the better Q&A's we've seen in a along time.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/01/brandon-sandersons-wheel-of-time-answers-from-torchat

Some great stuff there, just some of the examples.

Not even Brandon knows what’s going with Rand’s pipe-lighting at the end of A Memory of Light. “I put it in as RJ instructed, and I know nothing more about it than fandom does, I’m afraid.”

>

Regarding Nakomi: “With all of the homages to global myths/legends in WoT is it fair to consider Nakomi as a Wandering Jew/Jenn?” Brandon’s response: “That’s a very clever question that nobody has yet asked me. I’m not going to say more, however.”

Cadsuane does end up being the next Amyrlin.

The Oath Rod is still used by the Aes Sedai as their organization heads into the Fourth Age. The male channelers do not use it and should not be considered Aes Sedai, as per Jordan’s notes, but a gender-united Aes Sedai will come again someday.

Rand doesn’t know the Song and the Tinkers wouldn’t accept anything he taught them anyhow.

Robert Jordan specifically noted that the Tinkers would not find their Song by the end of the series and that the Ogier song of growing is not the Tinkers’ Song. The Song is “a much more deep and philosophical concept, perhaps unattainable.”

There were no substantial notes left about doing a new series focused in Seanchan, and Brandon further feels that to do such a series would be exploiting RJ’s legacy.

On the offscreen conversation between Tuon and Hawkwing: “It was interesting, I’ll tell you that much.”

Moiraine’s prophecied purpose during the Last Battle was to stop Egwene and Rand from going to The Last Battle separately instead of together.

Taim was recruited by the Forsaken, so his becoming a Darkfriend happened after the Forsaken were freed from the Bore.

Really need to know what Hawkwing said to Tuon!  Its driving me mad..

Guest Mehndeke

Anyone else think that Brigette may be reborn as one of Elayne's babies? That would certainly be poetic justice.

That was the very first thing I thought of! I LOVE the idea. Would be fascinating to read about, but we're not going to see any other books it looks like.

J

We also know it isn't correct. The timing doesn't work.
I asked BS about this at the Philadelphia signing. My question was whether or not Elaine would attempt to find Birgette (and by extension Gaidal Cain) and rebond her, esp. since I felt it would fit Elaine's character to want to have two heros of the horn as her warders/protectors of Andor and has spy's to find out. His response is that Elaine would almost certainly attempt to find out who Birgitte was reborn as, since she knew when she was born (and would know life characteristics that appear in every life, like her bow and the ugly boyfriend). However, BS also stated that he was unsure if Elaine would bond Birgitte again, as she would also think that Birgitte has the right to live her life however it happens to work out.

From this, I think it's safe to assume that Birgitte is not Elaine's child (present tense used when talking about Birgitte's birth). Also, the age heralds work better, if it's even them.

That having been said, I still say Elaine would rebond her and Gaidal Cain at the first opportunity.

I keep thinking of Aviendha's vision of her children's future. Now that it was changed here are things about Rand's and her children that shouldn't happen. 1) Because Avienda returned at least a night before Last Battle she insisted on sleeping with Rand before the body swap, so chances are her children were conceived then and there, so that "weird" thing about them being twins and two looking like Aiel (based on their mother's genes) and two looking dark (based on Moridin's body genes that Rand has after Last Battle) should not happen. All 4 of them should look like Aiel since Rand's original body before Last Battle had looks of an Aiel. 2) Because their conception happened before Last Battle and before Rand attained that weird reality warp ability their channeling powers should develop normally, they might be very strong since both of their parents are extremely powerful channelers but they shouldn't be able to channel till they reach 18 (or whatever Randland age for starting to channel is)

We don't know the children are conceived there though.
Also we have to remember that Rands only half Aiel so he could have dark haired kids
My wife, on the other hand, asked about Avi's children, and whether they were concieved before or after the LB. Sanderson stated that RJ explicitly stated it was before, and that it had to be included in the book.

However the genes work out, the 4 children were concieved before Rand left to fight the DO.

Guest theirah

About Rand/Mat stopping the empress from breaking the dragon's peace and stuff, Avi's vision was from 100 years later. Mat would be dead, and Rand, if he has a normal lifespan, would be as well.

Why does anyone think Hawkwing would tell Tuon to end the training of Damane? Surely not his love for Aes Sedai!

His mind was 'poisoned' near the end of his life by Ishamael's lies. Also, he's a Hero, I'm sure that broader access to knowledge of past lives and the workings of the Wheel might change his opinions a bit. Also, not liking channelers is far removed from the institution of slavery Seanchan has.

Why does anyone think Hawkwing would tell Tuon to end the training of Damane? Surely not his love for Aes Sedai!

His mind was 'poisoned' near the end of his life by Ishamael's lies. Also, he's a Hero, I'm sure that broader access to knowledge of past lives and the workings of the Wheel might change his opinions a bit. Also, not liking channelers is far removed from the institution of slavery Seanchan has.

Indeed. Hawkwing had a personnel problem with one Amyrlin but no real issues with AS as a whole. In fact before Ishy showed up they held many positions of power within his kingdom as Governors and advisors.

Avi's vision clearly showed that the Seanchan won't abandon the damane practice. I don't see how Hawkwing's talk can achieve something.

Besides a lots of people talked to Tuon, and she doesn't seem to comprehend anything.

Avi's vision clearly showed that the Seanchan won't abandon the damane practice. I don't see how Hawkwing's talk can achieve something.

Avi's vision was not a set reality. It was something that could possibly come to pass, one that we know has already been changed greatly. We can't really gauge anything off of it at this point.

Besides a lots of people talked to Tuon, and she doesn't seem to comprehend anything.

But they're working hard to change the future. 

I believe it's likely that the pillars are related in some way to TAR, in the same way that the Rings the novices test in to become accepted are in some way connected to TAR (the feedback effect the rings had when Eg took her stone ring in).  Given this, and dreamers only see what may happen, compared to Mins what will happen, their's a good chance this vision will never happen.

EDIT: nijaed :ph34r:

I can see it as a possibility, but Mat would never allow it to happen.  He doesn't like Channelers as such, but he cared/cares for Rand/Eg/Nyn/Moiraine/even Elayne too much to view them as sub-human.  And he's to honourable.

Indeed. Hawkwing had a personnel problem with one Amyrlin but no real issues with AS as a whole. In fact before Ishy showed up they held many positions of power within his kingdom as Governors and advisors.

@suttree it seems BS said otherwise

INTERVIEW: Feb 20th, 2013

QUESTION

The [offscreen] conversation between Tuon and Hawkwing, can you tell us anything about that?

BRANDON SANDERSON

I can tell you that it did take place, and that Hawkwing is more inclined to agree with what's going on in Seanchan than I think what fans expect him to be. Now, remember that Hawking was not fond of Aes Sedai. Part of that was not his fault, but he was not fond of them. He is not just King Arthur, he is Alexander the Great. King Arthur ruled through justice. Artur Hawkwing ruled through justice and ruthlessness. It will certainly be a conversation filled with emotion and passion, but I don't think everyone expecting Hawkwing to take their side is understanding who Artur Hawkwing is.

That has already been discussed here.

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/79241-the-seanchan-past-present-and-future/?p=2819757

Brandon seems to have forgotten a good deal of the background on that one. We have seen that happen before on different topics. Recall that after two months he gave up studying the notes, instead relying on Alan and Maria to find info for him on world building. It is why he frequently passes questions on to Maria.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Birgitte will be reborn as one of Melaine and Bael's twin girls. In the last book in one of the Wise One's meetings they did say Melaine was about to give birth really soon.

I think Gaidal Cain is Jur and Sora Grady's son, Gadren.If Gadren learns how to channel and learns the sword like the other Asha'man, if Birgitte where Aiel then she would not think the sword part. She did say that they ayways dislike each other at first but learn to love each other.

If Birgitte were reborn as the twin Melaine planned on naming after Min, it would great if the other twin that she named on naming after Egwene was actually Egwene reborn. Bair always did want Egwene to stay with the Aiel.

I think Gaidal Cain is Jur and Sora Grady's son, Gadren.If Gadren learns how to channel and learns the sword like the other Asha'man, if Birgitte where Aiel then she would not think the sword part. She did say that they ayways dislike each other at first but learn to love each other.

Gadren is too old.

QUESTION

The [offscreen] conversation between Tuon and Hawkwing, can you tell us anything about that?

BRANDON SANDERSON

I can tell you that it did take place, and that Hawkwing is more inclined to agree with what's going on in Seanchan than I think what fans expect him to be. Now, remember that Hawking was not fond of Aes Sedai. Part of that was not his fault, but he was not fond of them. He is not just King Arthur, he is Alexander the Great. King Arthur ruled through justice. Artur Hawkwing ruled through justice and ruthlessness. It will certainly be a conversation filled with emotion and passion, but I don't think everyone expecting Hawkwing to take their side is understanding who Artur Hawkwing is.

I tend to think that after centuries of sitting in Tel'Aran'Rhiod musing about his life and mistakes, he probably realized that his rift with the Aes Sedai did more to serve the Shadow than anything else. I don't think he would have condoned a massive slave trade forming the backbone of his empire even though he was probably impressed with how much order the Seanchan brought with them. Considering Artur Hawkwing had no issues fighting the Seanchan when the Horn was first blown, I don't think he is too impressed with what his Empire became.

AMOL Signing Report - JaimieKrycho (Paraphrased)

QUESTION

The [offscreen] conversation between Tuon and Hawkwing, can you tell us anything about that?

BRANDON SANDERSON

I can tell you that it did take place, and that Hawkwing is more inclined to agree with what's going on in Seanchan than I think what fans expect him to be[/b]. Now, remember that Hawking was not fond of Aes Sedai. Part of that was not his fault, but he was not fond of them. He is not just King Arthur, he is Alexander the Great. King Arthur ruled through justice. Artur Hawkwing ruled through justice and ruthlessness. It will certainly be a conversation filled with emotion and passion, but I don't think everyone expecting Hawkwing to take their side is understanding who Artur Hawkwing is.

I tend to think that after centuries of sitting in Tel'Aran'Rhiod musing about his life and mistakes, he probably realized that his rift with the Aes Sedai did more to serve the Shadow than anything else. I don't think he would have condoned a massive slave trade forming the backbone of his empire even though he was probably impressed with how much order the Seanchan brought with them. Considering Artur Hawkwing had no issues fighting the Seanchan when the Horn was first blown, I don't think he is too impressed with what his Empire became.
We already know the quote provided by dir is wrong. Brandon seemed to forget the history there which isn't surprising given how much there is to know in the world building notes. We have to recall he only studied them for two months and then relied on Maria and Alan to guide him.

He might not agreed with the collars, but might have agreed that there needs to be some way to keep their powers in check

That doesn't really square with what we know of the history however. He had an issue with Bonwhin, not all AS pre Ishy. His first wife Amaline was pro-Tar Valon and his second was said to be a channeler. He had an AS advisor and AS served as Governors throughout his empire. Then Ishy shows up and...

BWB

It is on that proximity of dates (late summer, Moerad became a counselor; early autumn, Hawkwing dismissed Aes Sedai from his service) and the startling fact that Moerad seemed openly contemptuous of Aes Sedai that all theories concerning him rest.

He might not agreed with the collars, but might have agreed that there needs to be some way to keep their powers in check

That doesn't really square with what we know of the history however. He had an issue with Bonwhin, not all AS pre Ishy. His first wife Amaline was pro-Tar Valon and his second was said to be a channeler. He had an AS advisor and AS served as Governors throughout his empire. Then Ishy shows up and...

BWB

It is on that proximity of dates (late summer, Moerad became a counselor; early autumn, Hawkwing dismissed Aes Sedai from his service) and the startling fact that Moerad seemed openly contemptuous of Aes Sedai that all theories concerning him rest.

I know that. I was trying to find a rational explanation to BS's comment. We should all note that he did not say he would be 100% for what they are doing, just more so than we are all expecting.

• 4 months later...

I know that the general consensus is that Sylvie (Egwene's guide in the World of Dreams) was actually Lanfear, but doesn't it make more sense that she was actually Nakomi. In both Egwene's case and Avi's, the character in question acted as a guide. If we belieive that Avi had fallen asleep and that encounter took place in WoD, then it even makes more sense. If Sylvie = Nakomi, then it puts her in the position of another agent for the Pattern pushing things towards where they should be, including her appearance at the cave mouth with Rand.

Archived